Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wind and crowd noise  (Read 2573 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Wind and crowd noise
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:06:42 AM »
I just recorded a outdoor show, couldn't raise mic's much above crowd and was very windy. Recording has wind noise and chatter from crowd. Have Church Ca-11 mics. with rats on mics. Any thoughts on what I could do to help recording? Was thinking of a 3 or 4 sided box around mics. ( Bottom, sides and back) to help with chatter and wind noise. Any suggestions?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Wind and crowd noise
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
Cardioids or Omnis? Omnis will be more forgiving to the wind than cards, but will also pick up the chatter more. Did you have windscreens and rats or just rats? I'd say bigger windscreens with rats for the wind and height for the chatter. I know you said height was not possible, but it really is the solution for chatter.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline in2blues

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
thanks for getting back. have cardioids and Rats over Screens. But had hard time getting rats over screens, when I took them off noticed at least one screen was bunched up and wasn't covering mic.  First time using rats and they need to be stretched out.

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:30:15 AM »
I'm wondering about not being able to raise the mics much above the crowd - were you up close or were you back around the soundboard/lighting enclosure?

As mentioned, OMNIS are your friend if it's really windy.  I made the mistake of running my CA-14 cards once (with dead rats) and that recording is impossible to listen to (or salvage). 

Ben shared some good info as well.  Hopefully some of that'll help you out.  Gutbucket knows his stuff. 

Offline in2blues

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
I'm wondering about not being able to raise the mics much above the crowd - were you up close or were you back around the soundboard/lighting enclosure?

As mentioned, OMNIS are your friend if it's really windy.  I made the mistake of running my CA-14 cards once (with dead rats) and that recording is impossible to listen to (or salvage). 

Ben shared some good info as well.  Hopefully some of that'll help you out.  Gutbucket knows his stuff.

Thanks for feedback, very helpful.  Couldn't raise mics, they were clamped to soundboard enclosure. No room for stand.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com