Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommended portable mic recorder  (Read 7476 times)

Offline dakapc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recommended portable mic recorder
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
I'd like some input based on the forum user's past experience.
If you could use ANY portable battery powered mic/recorder what have any of you found to have the best sound?

Here are the conditions:
Stealth is not an issue.
however, no feed from the SB is allowed per corporate policy.
the venue holds 1500-2000 people
the mic would be 80-90 feet away from the stage dead center and level with the house stacks at the stage. (see picture)
It has to last a minimum of 4 hours on it's own internal batteries, no phantom power.

I have used a few mics for this including a zoom h6, but I'd like to hear some other feedback before I buy something more elaborate to "experiment with"

Thanks!

backwhereubelong

Re: Recommended portable mic recorder
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »
There's a couple of hot looking women in that audience ...

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
haha! question answered!  :D

well maybe not quite  :-\

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
It sounds like you are looking to use the built in mice on the recorder, correct?

If so, you may not get many opinions because most here use external mice for the added placement flexibility and potential for a better sounding result.

From that position, I think cardioid capsules would be preferable to Omnis. The only recorder I've used with cards is the Olympus LS-11. I liked the sound, but never used it as far away from the source as you want to. Some portables allow you to adjust the capsule angle, and I think that would be beneficial for your intended use.

What is the distance to the PA? Does the PA have 2 stacks on either side of the stage?

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
distance is roughly 70-80 ft, yes they are on both sides of the stage. it is in the house of blues. so in most cases they drown out the crowd, not to mention most big bands bring all their own PA's on stage.

let's change the options, as long as I can battery power the mic I can use the H6 to record it.
So with that said, I am looking an amazing mic that if need be I can use with the h6 as the recorder.

that should open the floor to more suggestions since there appears to not be many, if any, viable replacements for the h6 as an all in one unit.

So let's hear some battery powered mic suggestions to feed into the h6.
no price range, I just want suggestions or samples based off personal experience.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:23:18 PM »
Nakamichi 300's are decent battery powered mics, and most of the sets you will find come with card and omni capsules. You can also find shotgun capsules.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 05:14:29 AM »
There's a couple of hot looking women in that audience ...

Must be in the USA or UK then - if that was in Bratislava or Prague, then 90% of the women would be "hot".

As a friend said - "why do you never turn round to look at a beautiful woman in Bratislava?: - Answer: because there is already another walking towards you.  ;D

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
Agreed on the CM-300s, or any Naks, but they might not be too easy to find.

Agreed on cards or hypers vs. omnis. The only purpose omnis would serve here would be for a comp or to mix in a 4 track.

You might get some better suggestions if you specified your budget range.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Rode NT4 can be battery powered and has cardioid capsules.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
Doesn't the H4 have phantom power XLRs? Why limit your choices to battery powered mics?

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »
For 2 channels, if you aren't going to use separate mics, and don't want to ante up for a Nagra handheld, the Sony D50 is still a nice option.  The onboard mics are cards and swivel.  Well built.  Runs about 12 hours on a set of batteries.  Records up to 96 kHz/24-bit. Optical digital input and output.  Downside is that it takes Sony memory sticks for recording media (not really that big a deal).  Discontinued, but used ones in good condition run about $350 or so (several recently available on this board).  I bought a used one a year ago and I am quite happy with it.  I also have an M10, a DR-70, DR-680 and a DR2D, and the D50 definitely gets used when I am too lazy or too much in a hurry to get mics and the rest of my kit out.  There is the new D100 out, but I haven't tried it and there have been some reports about issues with its suitability for highly amplified music.  Now if the M10 had decent cards instead of omnis . . .
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »
Rode NT4 can be battery powered and has cardioid capsules.

anyone have any samples from the nt4? I love the rode mics but I have never personally tried the nt4

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
You might get some better suggestions if you specified your budget range.

No budget, I am ready to take a plunge on this.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
Built-in mics aren't going to do a very good job from way back there.  Regular mics won't either but can do a lot better.  My three options to consider:

1) Supercardioid pattern mics positioned on the wooden railings where the green circles are.  Pointed directly forward, parallel to each other. 

Perhaps a bit wide, but the elevation benefit of the higher railings getting them above the heads of the audience trumps that.  Plus they'll be parallel, the stage is 80 feet away or more, and the PA mix will be primarily if not all mono.  Basically this is a wide spaced omni setup, except substituting the most forward directional mic pattern available (supercardioid), with them pointed in such a way as to maximize that forward directionality and minimize pickup of reflected sound as much as possible.

[Edit- Um, I'm obviously not overly observant today- as it's been pointed out to me that there is no mirrored wall directly behind the SBD, so the following does not apply here.  Bummer.  [Edit2- strike that.  It's only a bummer for the following two options.  No wall there is likely to mean the front of the SBD better will be sounding than it would be if there was a hard reflective wall 8' behind.  And no bummer for me because I find my little visual foible pretty funny.]  I'll leave the following here because it's applicable to other situations and represents a underappreciated not often traveled path I've found useful.]

2) Small omnidirectional microphones, gaffer-taped directly onto the mirrored back wall, spaced ~3-5 feet apart.

This may be your best option in terms of equipment cost and what you can get away with (if you are allowed to do so).  Any small recorder will work.  Use miniature omnis (Church Audio, Naiant, Countryman B3, ATs, DPAs, Coresound, SoundPros, Trams, whatever, there are a zillion options for them) with an inexpensive battery box for powering them.  Mounting them this way can make them work well that far back, sounding clearer and cleaner than even nice cardioids IME.  Mounting them directly onto the back wall boundary-mounts them, increasing their sensitivity by 6dB, changing their direct/reverberant pickup by 3dB, and brightens the diffuse sound, which helps keep it less muddy and cave like sounding from way back there.  It eliminates all reflections off the back wall.  Mounted that way they don't behave like omnis placed out in free space anymore.  As a side economic benefit, typically inexpensive omnis sound better and more natural than inexpensive cardioids, and even more so than inexpensive supercarioids.

To quote Bruce Bartlett on the advantages of boundary mounting-
"Improved reach. Reach is the ability to pick up quiet distant sounds clearly. ..[snip].. The direct-to-reverberant sound ratio is increased because the direct sound is boosted 6 dB near the surface, while the reverberant sound, being incoherent, is boosted only 3 dB. In other words, distant sources sound closer and clearer"

3) If I absolutely had to use built-in mics in that situation, from way back there, I'd use a recorder with good sounding built-in omnis and gaff-tape the recorder directly onto the mirrored back wall.  That will effectively boundary mount the built-in omnis, with the same advantages of the second option above, just without the more appropriate wider spacing between the microphones.  As mentioned above, boundary mounting increases the sensitivity of the microphones by 6dB over their normal sensitivity when used in "free space" so you'll need to turn down the gain by 6dB compared to where you set it if the recorder was placed at the position indicated by your white circle.   

Make sure it doesn't vibrate against the mirror, if necessary place something soft but thin between the recorder and mirror before taping it on.  Be sure to use enough gaffer tape to ensure your recorder doesn't fall off the wall mid-set.  It will be much heavier than taping up a pair of miniature omnis and their attached wires. ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:41:18 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »
I'm off to look search for cheap airline tickets to Bratislava.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com