Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 77656 times)

Offline carbine000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
Here's another photo showing both camera + proto-pendant mount, my headworn DSSM windscreened mics, and (not visible) pants-pocketed MT1 deck with PA-24XP preamp velcro'd together.
This is the rig configuration used for the Umpqua Valley Arts Festival videos linked in the prevous posts.

Interesting. So is it a DIY or something you bought?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »
Built the camera mount and the pocketed preamp.   Everything else is as-is purchased
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:39 PM »
Constantly impressed with this camera. Already paid for itself......

Saw KMFDM last Thursday, and shot this......so simple to get such good results....audio could be improved slightly, but captured the show with AT853's + BB + R-09HR anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS247LbQQqg

There is that odd blurry couple of seconds where the camera seems to struggle focusing, but on most of my recs it seems to add to the atmopshere.
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »
@polewka
Nice vid, good close-up shots. I don't know if any cams have an auto-focus that is immediate, have you ever tried filming gigs with manual focus, or is that a no-no?

Offline polewka

• Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2010, 04:03:20 PM »
@ exxile

Seems to be a glitch on this camera. Looked at reviews and tutorials online, and they all mention the zoom/blur issue.....also didn't see any recommendations to bypass/solve it either.

Not really a complaint. Really chuffed with it, filming the shows is now an added bonus to the audio's I've recorded for 18 years now...

Thanks for the comments about the clip, seems she was lookin into the camera at times, which made me a little nervous in case she outed my filming....that said KMFDM are pretty cool guys that way, so didn't worry too much.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
@polewka
Nice vid, good close-up shots. I don't know if any cams have an auto-focus that is immediate, have you ever tried filming gigs with manual focus, or is that a no-no?
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmczs3.asp

According to the specs page, it doesn't have manual focus.  I don't believe it has manual contrast either.

This is pretty much the case with almost all point-and-shoot cams.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline polewka

• Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
@guitard

Cheers for the useful link, not too fussed. Does the job well for me all told.

Offline polewka

• Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002AMP3Y4/ref=oss_product

Just a heads up on this clone battery. Got it delivered for £10.00, cheap at the price compared to £36.00 for the Panasonic original.

It works too, don't see no performance issues with it yet......now I can tape whole shows on HD.

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002AMP3Y4/ref=oss_product

Just a heads up on this clone battery. Got it delivered for £10.00, cheap at the price compared to £36.00 for the Panasonic original.

It works too, don't see no performance issues with it yet......now I can tape whole shows on HD.
Thanks for the info, I finally managed to pick up a ZS3 recently so have been on the lookout for a spare battery, didn't really want to risk the 'hit n' miss' ebay. Just need to find a good outlet for the 16Gb SDHC cards now. Cheers

Offline carbine000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2010, 05:38:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, I finally managed to pick up a ZS3 recently so have been on the lookout for a spare battery, didn't really want to risk the 'hit n' miss' ebay. Just need to find a good outlet for the 16Gb SDHC cards now. Cheers

I think Costco has the best deal. I'm about to pick one up from there soon.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307826&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79&N=4001368&Mo=7&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2255&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »

I think Costco has the best deal. I'm about to pick one up from there soon.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307826&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79&N=4001368&Mo=7&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2255&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C
Paid exactly this price last year from BHphotovideo.  Definitely one of the best brands for having the fastest most reliable memory, that is if not buying a knockoff only looking like the real deal.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2010, 03:36:32 PM »
I recently picked up a couple of Transcend Class 10 cards fairly cheaply so looking forward to trying them out. From what I've read they're not quite as fast as the Sandisk (write speed) but not too far behind.

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
I did some filming with the ZS3 over the weekend and am pleased with the results, and with Transcend cards, seem quite up to the job of recording HD video. Bit disappointed with the battery life though. I was using the original Panasonic and a clone battery that I bought from the Amazon link above but got no more than 50min outta each of them. To be fair, I was zooming quite a lot (I guess the battery takes quite a hit with that) but they should've been fully charged as I left them charging overnight prior to use.

How long do you guys leave them on charge? Do you always run them fully down? The user guide says to do this but I always thought Lithium batteries preferred a partial charge rather than a full discharge? I might try one with a higher capacity....950 or 1000 mAh, see if that makes any difference.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
http://www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#tips
I did some filming with the ZS3 over the weekend and am pleased with the results, and with Transcend cards, seem quite up to the job of recording HD video. Bit disappointed with the battery life though. I was using the original Panasonic and a clone battery that I bought from the Amazon link above but got no more than 50min outta each of them. To be fair, I was zooming quite a lot (I guess the battery takes quite a hit with that) but they should've been fully charged as I left them charging overnight prior to use.

How long do you guys leave them on charge? Do you always run them fully down? The user guide says to do this but I always thought Lithium batteries preferred a partial charge rather than a full discharge? I might try one with a higher capacity....950 or 1000 mAh, see if that makes any difference.
Lithium is like most batteries as when brand new need 2-3 discharge to at least 50% charge cycles to achieve full capacity status.  New battery full capacity should give over an hours worth of video. 

Leaving on the charger a few extra hours is maybe best tact depending on the charger, but careful not to have another 'fast charging cycle' start up after the 'full battery' is indicated by light going out as this is not beneficial to most any battery. 

AC power going down and back up can start up another fast charge cycle, so best not to leave batteries charging on fast type chargers without adequate UPS protection to keep power steady for period of AC power line being out of service.
My battery tips are at: http://www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#tips
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:36:30 PM by guysonic »

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »
Thanks for the info - I was never that sure how reliable the charger lights are - mine seems to go out after 90-120min, but that would seem like a very quick charge, especially if the battery was fully discharged beforehand.

Just playing around with the video I shot at the moment, the picture focus does seem quite soft (recording in 'iA' mode), but seems to improve with the 'sharpen' filter in Vegas. Got a few vertical lines from the strobes too but was kinda expecting that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com