Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's so great about the UA5?  (Read 10962 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
What's so great about the UA5?
« on: December 17, 2004, 09:08:13 AM »
First of all...let me say - I'm the kind of person who gets worried when I see too many people agreeing on things...

I'm still trying to understand what is so great about this device. It seems a bit clumsy...the knobs are tiny. No metering to speak of. I cant find a THD spec. Yes, it has "all" the features one might have on their checklist.

But - I cant help but wonder if this device's reputation has been manufacured by Oade. The guy offers 4 mods to the thing...he is doing a nice business. Is it possible that Oade picked this device simply because of the oppourtunity to mod? Maybe the parts used in the UA5 are more common and have more alternative parts available.

For all we know the M-Audio DUO may sound better but not offer as many "mod oppourtunities" to Oade...so he pumps up the UA-5 instead...

Sound possible...?

As for the mods themselves...I really hate to "hear" my equipment...I have no doubt his mods do what they say...But do they sound better, or just different? My opinion...they just sound different...not "better." And for Oades purposes...different is good enough to sell.

Not really trying to criticize Oade...I would do the same...and I would conciously seek products that I could offer pricey mods to...it's not a crime...just something to consider...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 09:14:19 AM by hexyjones »

Offline rdptha2nd

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny." - Zappa
    • Check Out Namaste!!!
Re: What's so great about the UA5?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 09:31:20 AM »
I understand some of your concerns, and in some ways I agree.  I think there are probably a lot of people like me that got one (as a noob) used it and like the results even as we emerge out of our noob status.  When I listen to recordings with the same mics and the UA5 vs. the $1500 preamp options I tend not to feel that the difference in sound is worth $1000 more.  I also think the modifications do make a qualitative difference to the sound of the UA5 and not just a quantitative difference, but that is just my opinion.  I do not have my UA5 modded yet, but I plan on it and I guess what it comes down to for me is that it was noob friendly and cheap.
Recording: ADK A-51TL and/or Superlux SMKH8K > Digimod UA5 > Nomad JB3
Transfer: Nomad JB3 > Firewire > Nomad Explorer > T-Racks 2.0 > Soungforge 5.0 > CD WAV > FLAC Frontend

Check out http://www.namastemusic.com and/or http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=namaste

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 10:00:40 AM »
First off, let me preface this with this - I have never run a ua-5 (modded or otherwise)...  but I have had experience with Doug Oade, and I used to run an Oade mod SBM-1...

For all we know the M-Audio DUO may sound better but not offer as many "mod oppourtunities" to Oade...so he pumps up the UA-5 instead...

I'm pretty sure (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the M-Audio DUO runs on AC power.  which pretty much eliminates it for our purposes, because it can't be easily powered by batteries.  So regardless of the fact that it might be better than the ua-5, the ac power requirement means that a lot of people here won't even consider it.

But - I cant help but wonder if this device's reputation has been manufacured by Oade. The guy offers 4 mods to the thing...he is doing a nice business. Is it possible that Oade picked this device simply because of the oppourtunity to mod? Maybe the parts used in the UA5 are more common and have more alternative parts available.

yes, but Oade was modding units long before the ua5 came out.  I used to run an Oade mod SBM-1.  He's also been making pre-amps for a long time, and I think he understands the circuitry that goes into our equipment very well.  I think he offers so many mods for the ua5 because there is demand for it, not the other way around.  Many people think that the modded units sound a lot better, and they trust Doug to work on their gear.

I cant find a THD spec.

regardless of the specs of the unit, or even if the specs are published, a lot of people like the way their recordings sound when they use a UA-5.  I agree with you to an extent about not wanting to "hear" my equipment.  I use a V3, because I feel that the recording is much closer to what my mics "hear" (compared to the mod SBM-1 that I was running previously).  Now, I'm just waiting for an easy way to record at 24-bit, because I feel that that will be an even better representation of what my mics "hear." (and I love the way Neumann mics sound).

So that's what I think about it.  I don't think Doug is creating a market for this unit, I think he sees the demand for a good preamp/AD combo unit that costs less than the V3 or MiniMe.

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 10:34:25 AM »
I'm not suggesting Oade is doing anything sinister here...I think he is clearly knowledgeable and trustworthy...He made his rep filling in the gaps in sony's DAT line and his preamps. But he may also be a good businessman and saw an oppourtunity with the UA-5. Notice he doesn't offer any mods to the MiniMe and V3? It would be a lot harder to suggest that a 1500 dollar preamp needs new opamps to sound "better." I think he saw that there was a gap in price points - so why not offer a 500 dollar version of the UA-5? Again - I think the UA-5s popularity may be due more to economics than sound.

If you dont need DC power/portability...then perhaps all of the UA5 advice may be a bum steer...something to remember when picking gear. My "A" rig is totally reliant on AC power...I record mostly in bars and clubs. On the rare occasion that I need a DC setup...I can beg or borrow something for the evening.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 10:41:19 AM »
I had the opportunity to compare a stock to a wmod UA5 and the wmod was an obvious improvement.  I also compared the wmod to a stock DUO, no question the wmod was better all around - not even close.

I think the mod UA5's have been around long enough to have proven they offer very good performance for the price.  No need to fluff them, the recordings speak for themselves.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 11:13:47 AM »
just going by the A>D stage in the ua5....  it is good, better than the one in my DAP1.
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 11:20:15 AM »
Here is why the UA-5s are so popular in the field:
-Price
-They sound pretty good for the price
-Easily powered in the field
-Pre and A>D
-Coax and optical out with simple mod
-XLR & RCA imputs

In the price range there is really nothing thats that good. I think by now that the Oade mods are not a scam. So many people use them, people wouldnt keep getting them modded if the mods did nothing...

hexyjones

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 11:32:50 AM »
Here is why the UA-5s are so popular in the field:
-Price
-They sound pretty good for the price
-Easily powered in the field
-Pre and A>D
-Coax and optical out with simple mod
-XLR & RCA imputs

In the price range there is really nothing thats that good. I think by now that the Oade mods are not a scam. So many people use them, people wouldnt keep getting them modded if the mods did nothing...

Right - and 2 of those things (that make it so popular) are based Oade's services. Bear in mind - he sells new already modded units...it's not as if everyone is just sending their UA5 to be modded...

And again - I'm not suggesting this is a scam...but I do think there is heathy dose of marketing and economics involved...

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 11:36:38 AM »
None of them are. The coax mod is easily done at home, he just offers it... What other one is he responsible for?

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 11:40:17 AM »
Right - and 2 of those things (that make it so popular) are based Oade's services. Bear in mind - he sells new already modded units...it's not as if everyone is just sending their UA5 to be modded...

And again - I'm not suggesting this is a scam...but I do think there is heathy dose of marketing and economics involved...

I dont agree...im sending my used in to be modded soon...If you look thru the post in last week..you will see several inquiries about sending their ua5's "back in" to be modded....its not only new ones...its a cost issue for most...great sound for cheap...start with a ua5(can be stock) from oade...when you save enough...send it in for mods....the digi mod...still sounds gr8!  esp for a 250$ unit that is both pre and a/d....and for an additional 350 later..you cna have a + mod to help the line in..AND a sound mod of your preferance....
versatility is key for me here...ANYTIME in the future...if I switch mikes..i could pay 65$ for a mod "change" to go from warm to transparent or vice versa....
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 11:45:35 AM »
yeah, you can do the digimod yourself.

throw onto swampy's list the fact that it has usb so you can easily do lappy taping with it too.

the optical out is nice for jb3 tapers, which a lot of us are.  oade's not modding the jb3...

plus, you have to figure, you can get a new one off ebay for $250, do the mod yourself, and you then have a decent preamp/adc with xlr/rca/digi in and coax/optical/rca out.  it does 24bit, the knobs are easy enuf to work with, the peak light, although not awesome does help with levels.

theres a lot there for your money without even getting oade involved.

edit:  don't forget about the matrix capabilities it can do.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

urobouros

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 11:52:54 AM »

There very well may be a bit of suggestions as much true improvements.  I know I'm a noob but it seems to me that if it sounds good to you then it's good.  I'm taping for me ultimately, whether I spread the show around or not, and if it sounds good to my ears I'm happy.  I'm generally of the mind that you get what you pay for but expensive doesn't always equal better.  With all the varieties of rigs and sounds, the best you can hope for is to be happy with what you have rather than envious of what you don't.  Though I, as I'm sure many others here, have a hard time not lusting for that new piece of gear.

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 12:11:32 PM »
+T for sparking a good conversation. Having run a stock UA-5 and recently had the T-Mod Plus done to it, IMO the sound quality is greatly improved.  It's a much quieter unit now, and is closer to just lettling what the mics hear come through.  The various flavors of mod's just seem to be a way to tailor it to what the individual is going for. I think that's where the just sounding different part comes in.  Oh, and Oade Bros. Audio makes a little cash along the way.  Cool by me, and it's still cheaper than a V3.  And, all the Mod UA-5 pimping I've heard has come from users in the field who don't have a vested interest in Doug and Co. making some coin.

All that being said, there are still a few things about the usability of the UA-5 that could be improved, but that's prob the stuff that would drive this unit to a $1000 plus solution.  By then we'd all prob just get V3's...
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 12:54:39 PM »
In some ways, I think you are answering your own questions and in some ways it seems you've got your mind made up and nothing is going to change it.

Yes, to some extent Doug is creating and capitalizing on a market for the UA5.  But the box has a lot to offer at a very good price which is why it is popular.  Some people might be happy with AC powered gear, but the bulk of us in this hobby want the flexibility and portability of DC powered gear.  Once you make DC a requirement, there really isn't all that much that suits our needs.  Especially if you want an all in one box, and even if you didn't.  After all, there really aren't many A/D only converters to choose from if you want to go with separates.  Old and unsupported AD500s and SBM/modSBM1s, and I guess the AD2k.  But presuming you're interested in an all-in-one box and want to keep the costs down there's really only the DMic20 and the UA5.  Minime and V3 do it, but cost alot more.  In-box doesn't have phantom.

So the UA5 is popular due to cost, performance, sound, and completeness of the package.  The mods make it nicer since it sounds better and fills the gap between very low cost (digi-mod UA5 and Dmic20) and higher end (MMe and V3).  The mods put the UA5 into a mid-range class of cost/performance where there is little to no other competition.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 01:15:11 PM »
I think people get it because it is the least expensive all-in-one.  The PS2>AD20 is cheaper, but its separates and doesn't sound as good.  The Graham Patten stuff is nice, but only the DMIC20 is an all in one, and it doesn't have the features the UA5 has. 

The MiniMe and V3 are the only other all-in-ones I can think of off the to of my head - and considering the price, it no wonder the UA5 is more common.

I think it is a combination of Oade pushing and word of mouth driving the UA5.

When I first got interested, I asked the few tapers I knew what they recommended.  As I got an idea of what I needed and wanted, I realized that I could never afford everything I would need that the UA5 could already do.  It wasn't until I actually bought the UA5 that I thought about the mods.  Now that I'm a little more into it, I'm curious about them.  Sure many of us want transparent sound from our equipment, but the mods do offer us a few more choices...

I run LD ADKs usually 30 feet back and my low-end is lacking.  So I thought about a WMod.  Sure I don't want my Pre and AD to color the music.  But if my mics aready color one way, what's wrong with coloring back to compensate??? 

I love my UA5.  I do wish the RCA volume knob was on the front and that there were better meters, but considering the Tmod is half the price of a V3, it may be worth it to deal without...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 01:19:46 PM »
its popular because its a preamp and an analog to digital converter unit in the same box, it costs about a third as much as a Lunatec V3, and you can get it modified to produce the sound that you want or the sound that works best with your mics, thus its popularity

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 01:25:56 PM »
The MiniMe and V3 are the only other all-in-ones I can think of off the to of my head - and considering the price, it no wonder the UA5 is more common.

Metric Halo ULN-2 ... it was $500 if you were already a MIO user and preordered. Best $500 I've spent on this hobby. Pre/ADC/DAC/headphone amp. The only catch is that you need to have a Mac to set it up.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 02:18:41 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but you should know I can't pass up an opportunity to direct someone to the Archival Info forum:  Ahem!  From the UA-5 FAQ:

Why the heck is the UA-5 so dang popular?

There are good reasons so many tapers are using the UA-5 for field recording!  The UA-5s feature set, overall quality, and price point make it an extremely attractive option for both newbie and experienced tapers alike.  At ~$300 for an Oade-mod digi-mod UA-5, or even less for a DIY digi-mod UA-5, the UA-5 offers a broad, quality feature set:
  • 16-bit or 24-bit
  • phantom power
  • preamp
  • ADC
  • selectable sample rate (32kHz - 96 kHz)
  • may be used for running audience + soundboard mixes
  • may be used for 3- or 4-mic mixes
  • easily powered via RC batteries
  • simultaneous USB, coax, and optical outputs if digi-modded
I'm sure I've forgotten plenty here, but hopefully this helps answer some of the more common questions about the Edirol UA-5.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 06:37:12 PM »
Nice thread.  I plan on buying a UA-5 after the holidays.  Gonna keep the PS2 > AD20 for stealthing only.  UA-5 is a phat box.  Price and sound .... there is no better.  Any recommendations for a mod for me?  I'm running AKG C568EB shotguns.  20-20,000 hz.  Grabs lows wonderfully.  I'll check the FAQ and Oade in the meantime.  Thanks guys.   

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 06:48:26 PM »
Has anybody tried the UA-25? looks real good on paper. Tho it not  being modded it has to be good right out of the box. Can't tell me everybody is running a modded UA-5. I've heard some pretty sick shows done on un-modded UA-5s.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »
Has anybody tried the UA-25? looks real good on paper. Tho it not  being modded it has to be good right out of the box. Can't tell me everybody is running a modded UA-5. I've heard some pretty sick shows done on un-modded UA-5s.

huh? I'm not following you beyond the first question and the following statement.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

urobouros

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2004, 01:11:49 AM »

Check out this thread:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=23037.0

marc0789

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 03:00:54 PM »
to my ears, the best sounding one box, even stock, period. the mme pre is too bloated in the lows and lacks detail throughout the range...the v3, plenty of high end detail, but a weird overall thinness and metallic sound I do not like...plus it's no more than 1/3 the cost of those boxes, even after the digi and warm, transparent or presence mod. I've not heard a bad sounding ua-5 tape.

the ergos kind of suck, but for that price?

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »
to my ears, the best sounding one box, even stock, period. the mme pre is too bloated in the lows and lacks detail throughout the range...the v3, plenty of high end detail, but a weird overall thinness and metallic sound I do not like...plus it's no more than 1/3 the cost of those boxes, even after the digi and warm, transparent or presence mod. I've not heard a bad sounding ua-5 tape.

the ergos kind of suck, but for that price?

I ran a std. UA-5 and a Wmod UA-5 for awhile when Doug first starting doing these mods and I also agree it produced some damn fine sounding tapes - IF you ran the right kind of mics through it (some mics sound better through other types of pre's or Oade upgrades). The reason I upgraded to a V3 (also looked and listened to MMe real hard before I made my choice - and yes it was a tough thing to swallow spending another $700 investment to buy a used one) was several factors that were important to me that the UA-5 just couldn't deliver :
- V3 has nuclear proof case and is very well built for field use; UA-5 resembles an old Coors can enclosure and is well made overseas in a mass produced factory. The quality is just not there and is very apparent when you do a side by side comp.
- V3 has such a clean/transparent pre you just can't hear any noise when really running the gain at high levels (for acoustic shows, quiet performances, etc) I found the UA-5 starts to get way noisy past 3:00 setting on the gain. This used to drive me crazy listening to all that hiss – one of my biggest issues!!! NOISE!!!
- V3 has very accurate, easy to ready level meters. UA-5's -3db peak level just didn't cut it for me.
- V3 is also very, very easy to adjust the levels on, no phantom power switch that can be accidentally activated, etc. Layout on the V3 is very well done.
- V3 allows you to really hear what your mics truly sound like - no coloration at all....just VERY clean transparent sound (once again you need to decide if this is for you or if you need coloration to fill/hide/enhance your sound/mics).
- V3 runs on 6VDC which my D8 also uses (no dual source PS or batt packs - can run common power setup for all)
- V3 has a very nice range for low-cut options!! SWEET

Not sure what Marc "ate" to hear any thinness or metallic sound from a V3, perhaps a chunk of foil??(hee,hee) Regardless I think much of it has to do with what sound you are trying to obtain or capture while you are recording, what TYPE of music you intend to record and what types of mics you plan to use NOW and in the FUTURE as well as how much you can afford to spend. Do any of my reasons listed above justify spending an additional $700 clams to get those features??? Perhaps not, but it really doesn't matter to anyone else.....I felt it was worth the extra cash and its my fucking money!!

As you become more involved in this hobby (or should I say more “addicted”) and you gain more and more experience (from personal experience and from others) you tend to “raise the bar” a little higher in terms of expectations from your recordings. This may fall into categories of sound capture, gear performance, reliability, etc. & ease of use. Some of these mean less to a taper when just staring out (did to me) and I also questioned really hard about spending more just to gain that little characteristic I was hoping to achieve. Bottom line is ask yourself how many shows do you plan to tape each year and if what you do tape makes you happy in terms of sound quality and the overall experience!! Its not all about if the combo puts out but also if you enjoy running the gear!! To me half of the fun is setting up & running my gear!! If I do nothing but struggle while running my rig its not gonna allow me to reach the tapers “ZONE”!! Remember there is a zen like approach to taping!!! Just my personal experiences and opinions – your results may vary!!

Happy Holidays!!
LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 04:17:25 PM »
very well said LoS - i couldn't agree more.  i was rocking out the sony ecm > md 2 years ago, now i'm at audix > v3 and still looking at all the different mic options for my next spending spree.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

marc0789

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 04:34:09 PM »

Metric Halo ULN-2 ... it was $500 if you were already a MIO user and preordered. Best $500 I've spent on this hobby. Pre/ADC/DAC/headphone amp. The only catch is that you need to have a Mac to set it up.

very nice sounding all in one box.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 05:04:53 PM »
- V3 has nuclear proof case and is very well built for field use; UA-5 resembles an old Coors can enclosure and is well made overseas in a mass produced factory. The quality is just not there and is very apparent when you do a side by side comp.
- V3 has such a clean/transparent pre you just can't hear any noise when really running the gain at high levels (for acoustic shows, quiet performances, etc) I found the UA-5 starts to get way noisy past 3:00 setting on the gain. This used to drive me crazy listening to all that hiss – one of my biggest issues!!! NOISE!!!
- V3 has very accurate, easy to ready level meters. UA-5's -3db peak level just didn't cut it for me.
- V3 is also very, very easy to adjust the levels on, no phantom power switch that can be accidentally activated, etc. Layout on the V3 is very well done.
- V3 allows you to really hear what your mics truly sound like - no coloration at all....just VERY clean transparent sound (once again you need to decide if this is for you or if you need coloration to fill/hide/enhance your sound/mics).
- V3 runs on 6VDC which my D8 also uses (no dual source PS or batt packs - can run common power setup for all)
- V3 has a very nice range for low-cut options!! SWEET

I also find the V3 offers significantly more/better detail across the board and has a much smoother and more coherent soundstage.  That said, if I didn't have the V3, I'd have a UA-5 (in fact, I did before I got my V3).
Roland R-05

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 10:14:09 PM »
I have used V3,MMe,stock UA5, and WUA5. I was shocked at how good the Wmod sounds. I can say from my experience that I prefered the WUA5 to the MMe. I have yet to try the TMOD which will be soon. So I can't say if I would prefer it to the V3. But at the price point of the TMOD+, I won't be able to justify the added expense of a V3. But you must keep in mind that I use a lappy and the ability to use the UA5 without a VX pocket was a bonus to me.
As for Doug and his integrity. There are members on this board that swear by his 248 and 148 and will not run any other pre other than Doug's hand made pres. And if you have ever heard them you know what I mean.  I personally don't have a problem paying him for his mods and feel that his experience is worth the money I pay to have them done.
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 10:18:17 PM »
I think the conclusion to some of this would be that once you get past a certain pricepoint, you end up paying a lot more for a lot less.  Hope that makes sense.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

hexyjones

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2004, 11:33:30 AM »
Has anyone ever seen a THD spec for this device? Or is this all subjective?

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 11:45:03 AM »

well...i have my THC spec(ulative copmarison) for this device.... :P
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2004, 03:11:19 PM »

Of course it's subjective.  And knowing its THD spec won't take the subjectivity out of the discussion, nor tell you how it sounds.  Personally, I'm more interested in how it sounds to my ears rather than some number(s) on a piece of paper.
Roland R-05

jpschust

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2004, 03:27:23 PM »
I do not believe there is a published THD spec sheet

urobouros

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2004, 05:56:48 PM »
Woo-hoo!!  I just placed my order for my digimod UA-5 from Oade!!!  I can't believe I actually talked the wife into it.  I'm waiting for her to tell me she spent some crazy amount of money herself.  Of course, now I have to do a little extra for Xmas.  It's a small price to pay for a UA-5!!  ;D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 06:15:40 PM »
Woo-hoo!!  I just placed my order for my digimod UA-5 from Oade!!! 

Nice!
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2004, 08:01:04 PM »

Of course it's subjective.  And knowing its THD spec won't take the subjectivity out of the discussion, nor tell you how it sounds.  Personally, I'm more interested in how it sounds to my ears rather than some number(s) on a piece of paper.

THANK YOU!!!

perhaps we can put this to rest finally.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

hexyjones

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2004, 08:03:28 PM »

THANK YOU!!!

perhaps we can put this to rest finally.

Well - I think its nice to be able to compare equipment without having actually purchase it and use it...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2004, 08:09:11 PM »
Well - I think its nice to be able to compare equipment without having actually purchase it and use it...

But that's exactly my point - you simply cannot compare equipment based on specs, THD or any other.  Knowing the THD spec for the UA5, modified or otherwise, will not tell you how it sounds.  The only way to find out how it sounds is to listen.

There are plenty of people using the UA5, and a few of us have even put together some comparisons of the UA5 v. other gear.  Download or post an ISO for some recordings using the mics + UA5 flavor you want to hear - I bet someone here runs it or has some recordings and it will give you some idea of how it sounds.  Though obviously not as good an idea as a head-to-head comparison with a set of gear you know well.  But it'll tell you a heckuva lot more about how it sounds than the specs do.
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2004, 08:13:04 PM »
you can download samples and give it a listen yourself or trade for ua5 shows if you don't have highspeed...

I've used a ua5 a few times and don't own one, friends have let me play around with them.

comparing specs without listening to the gear is not a good idea, specs are skewed by all manufacturers (some worse than others)...

Trust Your Ears

hexyjones

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2004, 08:16:23 PM »

But that's exactly my point - you simply cannot compare equipment based on specs, THD or any other.  Knowing the THD spec for the UA5, modified or otherwise, will not tell you how it sounds.  The only way to find out how it sounds is to listen.

There are plenty of people using the UA5, and a few of us have even put together some comparisons of the UA5 v. other gear.  Download or post an ISO for some recordings using the mics + UA5 flavor you want to hear - I bet someone here runs it or has some recordings and it will give you some idea of how it sounds.  Though obviously not as good an idea as a head-to-head comparison with a set of gear you know well.  But it'll tell you a heckuva lot more about how it sounds than the specs do.

Do you think you could hear the difference between .1% THD and .01% THD?

Sorry - I spent too much time in High-end Audio sales....to me, just knowing something is better will make it sound better...

[sarcasm]Dont make me move my Shun Mook Disc!!![/sarcasm] (that's a joke only few will get...)

Offline Tim

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2004, 08:22:46 PM »
Sorry - I spent too much time in High-end Audio sales....

I could have guessed that without you telling me.

to me, just knowing something is better will make it sound better...

So you let specs skew what you think you are hearing? Listen to the gear and decide with your ears... iI would never believe manufacturers specs over my ears .

jpschust

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2004, 08:45:23 AM »
and by the way THD specs aint gonna tell you half of the story.  Theoretically mic plots are supposed to tell us a lot, and they tell us some, but how much do manufacturers manipulate those plots for their own gains?  Take all the spec sheet stuff you read with a serious grain of salt.  More like a horse lick.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2005, 04:49:43 AM »
Sorry - I spent too much time in High-end Audio sales....to me, just knowing something is better will make it sound better...

:o
OK, I have the product for you:   I just modified my UA-5 to have 0.0000000000000000000000000420% THD.  It's for sale for $1400 or trade for an a optimod V3.   ;D

hexyjones

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2005, 08:41:09 AM »

:o
OK, I have the product for you:   I just modified my UA-5 to have 0.0000000000000000000000000420% THD.  It's for sale for $1400 or trade for an a optimod V3.   ;D

Very funny - you obviously know the high-end market...!

I forgot how kooky those guys are...I just sold a pair of speaker wires that I had laying around the house...400.00! - Shit I almost threw them away...even crazy-er...the wires listed for like 2300 new!!! (FM Acoustics Forcelines - Nice, but too bulky and I dont like spade termination)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2005, 02:19:35 PM »
Check this one out if you haven't already- its kind of old but still relevant. Some funny shit about high end audio and what people are willing to pay for.
http://s88932719.onlinehome.us/audio_bs.htm

I've had a UA5 for a couple of months. I'd like it better if it had meters because the JB3 meters really suck. Also, the level knobs are hard to use. They don't seem to be very good quality and it is hard to get a good balance between channels. With cables plugged in, it is hard to get your fingers in to fing the knobs. One input pot is already down for the count on a unit that's been used less than a dozen times. I have decided to go back to my trusty DMIC20.

I did some testing back and forth between the UA5 (plain digimod) and DMIC20 and they have very distinct sounds to them but I guess my ears are not golden enough to say one was better than the other.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Tim

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2005, 05:49:47 PM »
I did some testing back and forth between the UA5 (plain digimod) and DMIC20 and they have very distinct sounds to them but I guess my ears are not golden enough to say one was better than the other

whatever your ears prefer is the better!

urobouros

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2005, 06:05:58 PM »
I did some testing back and forth between the UA5 (plain digimod) and DMIC20 and they have very distinct sounds to them but I guess my ears are not golden enough to say one was better than the other

whatever your ears prefer is the better!

Amen!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.16 seconds with 75 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com