Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's so great about the UA5?  (Read 10962 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: What's so great about the UA5?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 11:45:03 AM »
Has anyone ever seen a THD spec for this device? Or is this all subjective?

well...i have my THC spec(ulative copmarison) for this device.... :P
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2004, 03:11:19 PM »

Of course it's subjective.  And knowing its THD spec won't take the subjectivity out of the discussion, nor tell you how it sounds.  Personally, I'm more interested in how it sounds to my ears rather than some number(s) on a piece of paper.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2004, 03:27:23 PM »
I do not believe there is a published THD spec sheet

urobouros

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2004, 05:56:48 PM »
Woo-hoo!!  I just placed my order for my digimod UA-5 from Oade!!!  I can't believe I actually talked the wife into it.  I'm waiting for her to tell me she spent some crazy amount of money herself.  Of course, now I have to do a little extra for Xmas.  It's a small price to pay for a UA-5!!  ;D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 06:15:40 PM »
Woo-hoo!!  I just placed my order for my digimod UA-5 from Oade!!! 

Nice!
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2004, 08:01:04 PM »

Of course it's subjective.  And knowing its THD spec won't take the subjectivity out of the discussion, nor tell you how it sounds.  Personally, I'm more interested in how it sounds to my ears rather than some number(s) on a piece of paper.

THANK YOU!!!

perhaps we can put this to rest finally.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

hexyjones

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2004, 08:03:28 PM »

THANK YOU!!!

perhaps we can put this to rest finally.

Well - I think its nice to be able to compare equipment without having actually purchase it and use it...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2004, 08:09:11 PM »
Well - I think its nice to be able to compare equipment without having actually purchase it and use it...

But that's exactly my point - you simply cannot compare equipment based on specs, THD or any other.  Knowing the THD spec for the UA5, modified or otherwise, will not tell you how it sounds.  The only way to find out how it sounds is to listen.

There are plenty of people using the UA5, and a few of us have even put together some comparisons of the UA5 v. other gear.  Download or post an ISO for some recordings using the mics + UA5 flavor you want to hear - I bet someone here runs it or has some recordings and it will give you some idea of how it sounds.  Though obviously not as good an idea as a head-to-head comparison with a set of gear you know well.  But it'll tell you a heckuva lot more about how it sounds than the specs do.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2004, 08:13:04 PM »
you can download samples and give it a listen yourself or trade for ua5 shows if you don't have highspeed...

I've used a ua5 a few times and don't own one, friends have let me play around with them.

comparing specs without listening to the gear is not a good idea, specs are skewed by all manufacturers (some worse than others)...

Trust Your Ears
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

hexyjones

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2004, 08:16:23 PM »

But that's exactly my point - you simply cannot compare equipment based on specs, THD or any other.  Knowing the THD spec for the UA5, modified or otherwise, will not tell you how it sounds.  The only way to find out how it sounds is to listen.

There are plenty of people using the UA5, and a few of us have even put together some comparisons of the UA5 v. other gear.  Download or post an ISO for some recordings using the mics + UA5 flavor you want to hear - I bet someone here runs it or has some recordings and it will give you some idea of how it sounds.  Though obviously not as good an idea as a head-to-head comparison with a set of gear you know well.  But it'll tell you a heckuva lot more about how it sounds than the specs do.

Do you think you could hear the difference between .1% THD and .01% THD?

Sorry - I spent too much time in High-end Audio sales....to me, just knowing something is better will make it sound better...

[sarcasm]Dont make me move my Shun Mook Disc!!![/sarcasm] (that's a joke only few will get...)

Offline Tim

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2004, 08:22:46 PM »
Sorry - I spent too much time in High-end Audio sales....

I could have guessed that without you telling me.

to me, just knowing something is better will make it sound better...

So you let specs skew what you think you are hearing? Listen to the gear and decide with your ears... iI would never believe manufacturers specs over my ears .

jpschust

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2004, 08:45:23 AM »
and by the way THD specs aint gonna tell you half of the story.  Theoretically mic plots are supposed to tell us a lot, and they tell us some, but how much do manufacturers manipulate those plots for their own gains?  Take all the spec sheet stuff you read with a serious grain of salt.  More like a horse lick.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2005, 04:49:43 AM »
Sorry - I spent too much time in High-end Audio sales....to me, just knowing something is better will make it sound better...

:o
OK, I have the product for you:   I just modified my UA-5 to have 0.0000000000000000000000000420% THD.  It's for sale for $1400 or trade for an a optimod V3.   ;D

hexyjones

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2005, 08:41:09 AM »

:o
OK, I have the product for you:   I just modified my UA-5 to have 0.0000000000000000000000000420% THD.  It's for sale for $1400 or trade for an a optimod V3.   ;D

Very funny - you obviously know the high-end market...!

I forgot how kooky those guys are...I just sold a pair of speaker wires that I had laying around the house...400.00! - Shit I almost threw them away...even crazy-er...the wires listed for like 2300 new!!! (FM Acoustics Forcelines - Nice, but too bulky and I dont like spade termination)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2005, 02:19:35 PM »
Check this one out if you haven't already- its kind of old but still relevant. Some funny shit about high end audio and what people are willing to pay for.
http://s88932719.onlinehome.us/audio_bs.htm

I've had a UA5 for a couple of months. I'd like it better if it had meters because the JB3 meters really suck. Also, the level knobs are hard to use. They don't seem to be very good quality and it is hard to get a good balance between channels. With cables plugged in, it is hard to get your fingers in to fing the knobs. One input pot is already down for the count on a unit that's been used less than a dozen times. I have decided to go back to my trusty DMIC20.

I did some testing back and forth between the UA5 (plain digimod) and DMIC20 and they have very distinct sounds to them but I guess my ears are not golden enough to say one was better than the other.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com