Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 vs. AD-20  (Read 8744 times)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
UA-5 vs. AD-20
« on: August 03, 2006, 05:42:20 PM »
Wondering how the pre & a/d compare between a digi mod edirol UA-5 and a denecke AD-20 if running into a bit bucket @ 16/44.1

I am aware of all of the advantages of the ua-5 over the ad-20 (16 or 24 bit, matrix / multi-mic capability, phantom power, etc.)

I'm just wondering about your opinions on the sonic comparisons between the two units when running 16/44.1

(I know that Denecke brags about the 20 bit a/d being a perfect companion to a 16 bit recorder.  I would probably run the ua-5 @ 16 bit since the recorder is just going to truncate the 24 bit signal anyway.)

Thanks in advance.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: UA-5 vs. AD-20
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:53:59 PM »
Wondering how the pre & a/d compare between a digi mod edirol UA-5 and a denecke AD-20 if running into a bit bucket @ 16/44.1

I am aware of all of the advantages of the ua-5 over the ad-20 (16 or 24 bit, matrix / multi-mic capability, phantom power, etc.)

I'm just wondering about your opinions on the sonic comparisons between the two units when running 16/44.1

(I know that Denecke brags about the 20 bit a/d being a perfect companion to a 16 bit recorder.  I would probably run the ua-5 @ 16 bit since the recorder is just going to truncate the 24 bit signal anyway.)

Thanks in advance.

OK, I'll offer my opinion: The (stock) UA5 is pretty good.  The AD20 is not very good.

Why?  Well, IMO the AD20 has low noise, but it just sounds "flat".  It does not have the detail I had hoped.  I bought one tried it for one show, and immediately sold it.  I traced the circuit.  It uses a discrete transistor front end, followed by an opamp.  Normally this would be good, but the transistor circuit is very crude.  It has a differential pair, but no additional features, like a constant current source, that would reduce distortion.  The opamp stage is OK, as is the ADC.  I was tempted to modify the transistor circuit, but I think my time is better spent on other projects.  So, I believe the AD20 offers low noise (good for film people), but not good sound quality.  I would rather live with (a bit more) noise of the UA5, but nicer sound.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:15:45 PM »
i would personally add a modsbm1 instead, they can be had for about 300 modded and sound way better than both IMO, especially if just doing 16-bit
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 12:25:04 PM »
i have run a ad-20 and ua5
i liked both but the ua5 i like much more
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:36:07 PM »

agreed. The ad-20 was fine, but it always seemed "dark" to me. The highs were there, but there was just something about the sound, maybe "dull" would be a better word. It's tough to describe, but the UA-5 is more pleasing to my ear. And now that the UA-5 is becoming so much more affordable, it's definitely worth it.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:03:14 PM »
I agree with Richard on the AD-20. Since the stock UA-5 goes for $200 or less now, the AD-20 about the same or more and you need a PS-2 or over phantom power infront of the AD-20, it's a no-brainer to go for the UA-5.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:17:32 PM »
man....my shit sucks  ;D
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 05:43:31 PM »
man....my shit sucks  ;D

No worries. Every step is an (expensive!) improvement :).

I'm just telling my experiences using various gear.  The thing is my "ears" get more expensive over time.  Just when I think something sounds good, I hear an improvement when I change.  And the voices (???) keep telling me to mess with things...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 05:52:56 PM »

agreed. The ad-20 was fine, but it always seemed "dark" to me. The highs were there, but there was just something about the sound, maybe "dull" would be a better word. It's tough to describe, but the UA-5 is more pleasing to my ear. And now that the UA-5 is becoming so much more affordable, it's definitely worth it.

I wonder if the sound issues have more to due with the truncation of the 20bit word to 16bit  - no dither or noise shaping - :hmmm:
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline T-90

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:57:22 PM »
man....my shit sucks  ;D

I'm just telling my experiences using various gear.  The thing is my "ears" get more expensive over time.  Just when I think something sounds good, I hear an improvement when I change.  And the voices (???) keep telling me to mess with things...

Richard

qft...i really cant decide what to upgrade next.....first i think the pre-a/d, then i think mics, then i think the pre-a/d again, then i think about a pmd660, then i think about the mics again.....i think i have ocd  ;D
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 07:28:18 PM »
qft...i really cant decide what to upgrade next.....first i think the pre-a/d, then i think mics, then i think the pre-a/d again, then i think about a pmd660, then i think about the mics again.....i think i have ocd  ;D

IMO, the C4's are capable mics, and upgrading your pre/AD around them and the JB3 is a very reasonable idea, but upgrading the mics by a few steps and still running them into the AD-20, well you may not get the most of more expensive mics from that rig. Going to a PMD-660, or a higher quality pre/AD first, you can see how you like the C4's paired with that, then choose to upgrade your mics next in the future.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 10:22:35 AM »

I wonder if the sound issues have more to due with the truncation of the 20bit word to 16bit  - no dither or noise shaping - :hmmm:

This is a good point actually.  Has anyone run an AD-20 into a 24 bit recorder to see if there's an improvement in the sonic quality?

I don't think it's a bad box, but it's dependent on the mics you use too.  Some mics will not flatter it.  I've heard a couple of recordings that did though...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 10:29:40 AM »

This is a good point actually.  Has anyone run an AD-20 into a 24 bit recorder to see if there's an improvement in the sonic quality?

I don't think it's a bad box, but it's dependent on the mics you use too.  Some mics will not flatter it.  I've heard a couple of recordings that did though...

Found this information, which is relevant to the subject at hand.  It appears that the 20bit pairs up well with a 16bit recorder based on the following:

Although the AD-20 uses a true 20-bit A-to-D converter chip (AKM5351, a slight improvement from the AKM5350 found on the ADA1000 converter), its actual dynamic range is just around 98dB. This means that although there may be more signal in the noise, the S/N ratio is really only giving you about 16.5 bits of real information above the noise floor. Oddly enough this works to our advantage when used with 16-bit gear (like CDs and DAT decks) because there is already a natural 'dither' in the 16th bit as it is being recorded from the AD-20. There is no need to add additional dither noise to the signal because the signal is already hanging right off the edge of 16-bits.

If the AD-20 truly delivered 20-bits of real information (that would probably require a so-called 24-bit converter!) then a 20-bit to 16-bit truncation would result in the quantization noise that the human ear would find offensive. In this case, an A-to-D would require additional dither noise to be added just beyond the 16th bit to randomize the signal such that the 16th (truncated) bit was not perfectly quantized.

Summarizing, the AD-20 will sound great with your 16-bit DAT or MD recorder due to the natural dither in the A-to-D converter. And if you go through the effort of capturing 20 or 24-bits (e.g., with a Zefiro ZA2 in a digital audio workstation) then you'll still gain a few extra dB and perhaps a bit more signal below the noise floor.

AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 01:40:02 PM »
I ran the AD-20 for a while and thought it sounded fine to me.  I agree with the "flat" sound, but that is what I liked about it.  The A/D is pretty good in it, the preamp is not so good.  The main issue with it is that it cannot handle very high SPL levels and clips like you wouldn't believe in those circumstances.  I still have not heard too many UA-5 sources so I cannot really comment on that.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 03:43:27 PM »
man....my shit sucks  ;D

Richard

qft...i really cant decide what to upgrade next.....first i think the pre-a/d, then i think mics, then i think the pre-a/d again, then i think about a pmd660, then i think about the mics again.....i think i have ocd  ;D

I think you have 2 options regarding this:

DL XXX mic > PS2 > AD20 sources as well as C4 > XXX sources from Llama and compare.  If you sell your AD20>PS2 and add some loot, you can have a UA5 or nicer Pre>AD.  See how that sounds to you, there are lots of these sources around.  The C4s are a great starter mic, worth keeping for a while until you upgrade your Pre>AD.  But then again, you might decide to go with better mics into the PS2>AD20 depending on what you hear in your comps. 

I would suggest upgrading your preamp, then your mics...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline T-90

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 04:57:48 PM »
I think you have 2 options regarding this:
DL XXX mic > PS2 > AD20 sources as well as C4 > XXX sources from Llama and compare.  If you sell your AD20>PS2 and add some loot, you can have a UA5 or nicer Pre>AD.  See how that sounds to you, there are lots of these sources around.  The C4s are a great starter mic, worth keeping for a while until you upgrade your Pre>AD.  But then again, you might decide to go with better mics into the PS2>AD20 depending on what you hear in your comps. 
I would suggest upgrading your preamp, then your mics...
Terry

this is my current train of thought as well....the c4's seem to be able to hold their own, and since im not really hung up on 24 bit yet, i could easily work with my c4's and jb3 while replacing the ps-2/ad-20 with something more like a ua5, which is what i really wanted anyway but I got a very nice deal on the ps2/ad20 from a ts.com member and ended up with them....they have kept me happy for a while but i want something different to play with and maybe enhance my recordings at the same time and this thread may have pushed me over the edge :)

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:12 PM »
this is an easy one...sell the ps2>ad20>jb3 and get an Oade ACM Marantz PMD660. your ears will thank you.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
I liked the sound from the C4's paired with the AD-20 when I got a patch from Haleyscomet at the GRAB show in the ATL.  Now that I have an AD-20 and a digi mod UA-5 at my disposal I plan on doing a comparison at the next show I tape just to see how they pair up with my AT mics.  I'll run set 1 with one pre/AD and set 2 with the other so that it will be an 'apples to apples' comparison.  Now that I've gotten some more gear I'm already thinking about a mic upgrade.  I'd like to get my hands on a SP LSD-2, but can't justify dropping that kind of cash right now.  LSD-2>digi mod UA-5>h140 would be a nice sounding compact rig I bet.  I know where some schoeps have been sitting in a closet for about 9 years, so that may be my best option financially speaking.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 09:54:26 PM »
I was able to run some tests this weekend with a local band.  Friday night, set one I ran the AD-20 and set two I ran the digi mod UA-5.  The levels were run a little hotter on the AD-20, but other than that it was an 'apples to apples' comparison.  Mics were set up FOH in a very shity spot (i.e. stage right of the stage right stack) running DIN, but I was just trying to compare the pre / AD's.  Result: I liked the sound of the AD-20 better because it sounded warmer.  The UA-5 probably captured a better dynamic range, but sounded a bit thin to my ears.  Saturday night, I ran a matrix with the UA-5 and placed the mics in a much better spot.  Result: Probably the best sounding recording I have ever done.  I had planned on getting rid of one of them, but I think I will hang on to both for now and compare them again in a different setting.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:59:08 PM »
I was able to run some tests this weekend with a local band.  Friday night, set one I ran the AD-20 and set two I ran the digi mod UA-5.  The levels were run a little hotter on the AD-20, but other than that it was an 'apples to apples' comparison.  Mics were set up FOH in a very shity spot (i.e. stage right of the stage right stack) running DIN, but I was just trying to compare the pre / AD's.  Result: I liked the sound of the AD-20 better because it sounded warmer.  The UA-5 probably captured a better dynamic range, but sounded a bit thin to my ears.  Saturday night, I ran a matrix with the UA-5 and placed the mics in a much better spot.  Result: Probably the best sounding recording I have ever done.  I had planned on getting rid of one of them, but I think I will hang on to both for now and compare them again in a different setting.

Thanks for the comments/tests...

If you get a chance, could you put up some samples?

Richard

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 10:15:47 PM »

who did you tape Shane? you going over to ATL wed. for Bela/Umphrey's/Adrian Belew?
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:26 PM »
Dennis-
I taped a local act in H'ville just to run a comparison.  They were kind of perplexed by me wanting to tape, but I brought them a copy of Friday's show the next night.  Only hitting up weekend shows for a while, gotta miss Bela.

Poorly-
I don't upload shows because of the shitty nature of my PC at home.  I would upload some samples from my connection at work though, if it's an easy process.  PM me instr.

AUDIO:

VISUAL:

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 11:21:10 PM »
Dennis-
I taped a local act in H'ville just to run a comparison.  They were kind of perplexed by me wanting to tape, but I brought them a copy of Friday's show the next night.  Only hitting up weekend shows for a while, gotta miss Bela.

Poorly-
I don't upload shows because of the shitty nature of my PC at home.  I would upload some samples from my connection at work though, if it's an easy process.  PM me instr.

Actually, don't worry about the samples.  I'm waiting for someone to do a side-by-side comparision, that is, split the mics and do both at the same time.  That will answer our questions.

Richard

Offline T-90

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 05:50:09 PM »
Actually, don't worry about the samples.  I'm waiting for someone to do a side-by-side comparision, that is, split the mics and do both at the same time.  That will answer our questions.
Richard

ok, i now have a stock ua5 on the way and then its going to bussman2 for the mod....im not sure if im gonna sell the ps2/ad20 or sell my firebox to help pay for the ua5 and mods but im gonna have to keep the ps2/ad20 at least until i get the ua5 back and test it out, so i will get a pair of splitters and run this test with spc4's....the question is should this test be done with the ua5 just as a dmod next to the stock ad20? will the bm2mod compromise the integrity of the test? 

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 04:39:37 PM »
....the question is should this test be done with the ua5 just as a dmod next to the stock ad20? will the bm2mod compromise the integrity of the test? 

Yeah, I was actually talking about a digi mod UA-5 / AD-20 comparison.  I'm pretty sure that the bm2mod UA-5 / AD-20 comparison would go in favor of the UA-5.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 05:23:18 PM »
this is an easy one...sell the ps2>ad20>jb3 and get an Oade ACM Marantz PMD660. your ears will thank you.

Agreed! It's 16 bit at its best.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:54:42 PM by paullySC »
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.154 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com