Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new pre from apogee  (Read 11279 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
new pre from apogee
« on: September 28, 2003, 07:11:35 PM »

jpschust

Re:new pre from apogee
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 07:17:55 PM »
honestly, id never buy a pure pre from apogee.  thats just not what they are good at, just as id never buy a pure a/d from grace.  but this goes purely on my studio work.  

edit to add: after my initial experience with my mini-me im pretty adverse to buying anything apogee makes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 07:31:09 PM by jpschust »

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 09:36:14 PM »
honestly, id never buy a pure pre from apogee.  thats just not what they are good at, just as id never buy a pure a/d from grace.  but this goes purely on my studio work.  

edit to add: after my initial experience with my mini-me im pretty adverse to buying anything apogee makes.
why whats wrong with your minime?
481(3)>722

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 10:48:09 PM »
i had one of the minimes that burned up

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 10:34:16 AM »
dam thats fucked up, sorry to hear that, did they at least replace it? (was it under warranty)
481(3)>722

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 11:42:50 AM »
Any ideas on what that thing will go for?
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 11:52:56 AM »
The only reason the apogee burns up is a reversal in polarity caused by pro-digital cables from what Gary told me!!!  The mini-me doesn't run hot at all.  I would guess a 600-800 price tag, but who really knows.  I will be interested to see what it sounds like!

Daryan

cpclark

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 12:46:23 PM »
so what your saying is pro-digital cables make apogee products run hot, well im fucked then, b/c i hve pro-dig modified sony cable.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 01:14:21 PM »
No, what I was saying is that all of the trouble with the mini-me burning up was due to pro-dig cables.  You should be fine with all of their other cables.  

Daryan

cpclark

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 01:16:07 PM »
thanks daryan, got a little scared that my 165 dollar cable will blow up my ad500e

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2003, 03:15:10 PM »
No, what I was saying is that all of the trouble with the mini-me burning up was due to pro-dig cables.  You should be fine with all of their other cables.  

Daryan

hmmmm...I don't think we will ever know what happened. I used a pro-dig cable with my mini-me with no problems. Apogee points the finger at  pro dig, pro dig points the finger at apogee.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 03:32:51 PM »
pro digital cable is what caused left channel spikes on my minime

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2003, 03:57:48 PM »
i have a very very hard time believing that honestly.  i really just think it was gary covering apogee's ass, but thats just my opinion, not based upon fact.  and yes they replaced it as they should have

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2003, 06:19:55 PM »
It's the connector on the Pro-Dig cable that may not fit properly into the MMe DC-input that cause a few people problems (Scott and Jonny, and some others).

The MMe doesn't run nearly as hot as the AD500, and nowhere nearly as hot as the ADK.  The ADK is one hot running muthafucka'

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 07:03:22 AM »
>>i have a very very hard time believing that honestly.  i really just think it was gary covering apogee's ass, but thats just my opinion, not based upon fact.<<

was that in response to me?

my minime shipped without a power cable, so I hacked the AC adapter and put a 4 pin xlr on that.  I used that without a problem

then I was shipped a power cable from the retailer I bought the unit from, and I started using that.  For *every* show that I used that cable at, I had a weird spiking issue in the left channel.  When i ditched that cable and went back to the hacked ac adapter cable, i had no problems

before I sold the minime, I plugged that screwed up cable into the minime, and sure enough, left channel spiking...

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 08:31:05 AM »
>>i have a very very hard time believing that honestly.  i really just think it was gary covering apogee's ass, but thats just my opinion, not based upon fact.<<

was that in response to me?

my minime shipped without a power cable, so I hacked the AC adapter and put a 4 pin xlr on that.  I used that without a problem

then I was shipped a power cable from the retailer I bought the unit from, and I started using that.  For *every* show that I used that cable at, I had a weird spiking issue in the left channel.  When i ditched that cable and went back to the hacked ac adapter cable, i had no problems

before I sold the minime, I plugged that screwed up cable into the minime, and sure enough, left channel spiking...

Scott, I'd say that's proof enough!  

I, too hacked the walwart from mine and use it to this day without an issue.

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 08:41:29 AM »
Hack,.....

As in cutting the cable from the walwart, and using that cable and end.

This one Mike.  Cutting the AC adapter and soldering a 4-pin XLR to use the original Apogee connector.

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2003, 08:45:19 AM »
Its early........ You could have had me believing you were rocket scientists! ;D

Sounds like ya' need more java!

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2003, 08:56:09 AM »
What gauge is the cable?
Sounds like a heavier gauge cable would go a long way in helping the heating issue.

The heating up is just an inheirent(sp?) characteristic of the Apogee units.  The MMe doesn't get nearly as hot as the ad500 or the ad1000.  The MMe running hot has never been an issue for me.  You could prolly fry an egg on the ad1000 though...

marc0789

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2003, 12:11:48 PM »
You know what else? If you move that fucking mme around too much, you can get spikes. My buddy did at ABB a couple of weeks ago. Not enough to pull anything loose, but enough to move the non-locking xlrs and/or power cable a little bit. I told him you gotta put it in the bag and leave it alone.

I had a prodig cable, and never used it, once I plugged it in and noticed that it clearly has wiggle room.

Nice sounding box but an ergonomic nightmare.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2003, 02:43:14 PM »
WTF'S up with the meters on this thing (-20, 0, +6, clip)? Weak if you ask me...

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2003, 02:02:16 PM »
Nice sounding box but an ergonomic nightmare.

I'd have to dissagree with you on this one. I think the mic-pre's in the MM suck and suck hard. The A/D is another story, but run any other mic pre in front of the MM, so only the A/D is working and suddenly you go from have a very muddy sounding low-end to having a non-muddy sound. I have a dozen or so tapes and some made as comparison tapes from MM rigs and all of them have that damn muddy low end. One of the comparison tapes had a V2 in front of the MM and suddenly it was like the mic was taken out of the cardboard box. Everything was more clear and the bottom end became nice and tight again.

Bottom line, I really think Apogee blew it with the mic pre's on the MM, which is why I'm so surprised that they are now offering half the MM with the new Mic Pre unit.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2003, 03:10:17 PM »
it's craptacular
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2003, 03:27:18 PM »
Am in the only one that thinks the ad-1000 sounds a million times better than the minime? I think line in on the ad-1000 sounds great, line in on the minime is just way too bloated, muddy and not worth $1000 or whatever they ask for them. And why the heck would you want the minime preamp as a standalone device?

bring back the ad-1000.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2003, 03:30:02 PM »
Am in the only one that thinks the ad-1000 sounds a million times better than the minime? I think line in on the ad-1000 sounds great, line in on the minime is just way too bloated, muddy and not worth $1000 or whatever they ask for them. And why the heck would you want the minime preamp as a standalone device?

That's exactly what I said, but I certainly wasn't as clear about saying it. ;-)

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

DaryanLenz

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2003, 03:45:18 PM »
I cannot even believe we are going there again.  It is all about the sound you want.  To me the mme sounds like vintage analog equiptment with great a/d convertors, while the v3 sounds more digital and 2000ish to me if that makes any sense.  For all of you knocking the mme, please don't.  It gets really old, especially when some have not even run one.  FWIW, I think the front end of the mme sounds like a mp-2, which was what, 600 bucks.  So you basically get a 600 dollar pre, and a 1000 dollar a/d.  The a/d is not bloated whatsoever, and running v2->mme will certainly show you this.

D

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2003, 04:08:12 PM »
I used a mini-me for awhile and will rip on it all I want ;D

seriously though, its all about what your ears hear. I find these arguments funny as hell most of the time because no one is going to change anyones mind. You ears hear warmth, others hear mud, my wife sees blue, I see purple, its all about preception. If you are happy with it, then thats all that matters.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2003, 05:29:37 PM »
Question: Is anyone sure that the Mmp pre is going to be the same as the Mme pre?

My LMA Recordings

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2003, 06:12:01 PM »

bring back the ad-1000.

Word!

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2003, 10:41:01 PM »
My latest MiniMe tape (err... hard disk recording).

Let your ears be the judge.  Personally, I love this thing.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=7101

Rusty
 :D

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2003, 12:48:19 PM »
Sounds great rustoleum.  +t

My LMA Recordings

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2003, 01:49:16 PM »
I cannot even believe we are going there again.  It is all about the sound you want.  To me the mme sounds like vintage analog equiptment with great a/d convertors, while the v3 sounds more digital and 2000ish to me if that makes any sense.  For all of you knocking the mme, please don't.  It gets really old, especially when some have not even run one.  FWIW, I think the front end of the mme sounds like a mp-2, which was what, 600 bucks.  So you basically get a 600 dollar pre, and a 1000 dollar a/d.  The a/d is not bloated whatsoever, and running v2->mme will certainly show you this.

D
totally agree with you ;)
481(3)>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 60 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com