Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Equipment, External Battery, Voltage and DC Plug Size Info  (Read 154917 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Equipment, External Battery, Voltage and DC Plug Size Info
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »
Thanks for this great resource Ted!

I'm making up a battery supply power cable for the DR-680mkII (I've yet to use the mkII version of the 680 without AC power) and noticed the voltage note in this list:

Tascam DR-680 / 8-13v / Size M, 5.50mm OD × 2.10mm ID / Center pin (+)  Ring (-)
Tascam DR-680mkII / 12v / Size C, OD 4.75mm x ID 1.7mm Center Pin (+) Ring (-)

I've always powered my MK1 with 9V DVD batteries.  Will those not work with the MKII? Does it require the full 12V? Any one run the MKII successfully on 9V?

I should probably ask in the team 680 thread.  I'll report back here once I find out.
Ted, I am sending a PM regarding our DR-680 power cords.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline n3mmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2017, 07:44:50 AM »
Tascam DR-680mkII / 12v / Size C, OD 4.75mm x ID 1.7mm Center Pin (+) Ring (-)
is what the threadstart says.

Does anyone know what the voltage limits actually are?
The entry for the original 680 says 8-13 V.
And I'm worried that my homebuilt power pack might harm my 680mkII.

Does anyone know for sure?

One is allowed to use 8*1.8V lithium batteries, which makes for 14.4V (actually closer to 15V for a set of brand new lithium batteries (like the Energizer AA cells).

So is it reasonable/safe to assume that a battery pack that could supply a maximum of 12.9V will not damage  a Tascam DR680mkII?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
I'm ordering a new 12V external battery for powering my DR680MkII and came here to check the 680MKII plug size and realized that I'd neglected to report back on 9V powering of the DR680MKII.

My DR680MkII operated fine on my stash of old 9V "DVD batteries" over the past year.  But now that they've grown unreliable, I'm moving to this TalentCell
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

jcable77

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »
Speaking of the Talentcell, I have two of what Gutbucket just bought. Im wondering if anyone could foresee any issues running 3 units off of it at once? Hirose out of sound devices 302>to adapta-tip>splitter> mini-me> into 12v out of talentcell + Marantz pmd-671 out of 9v out of talentcell. Ive been running 12v to mini me and 9v to pmd for a few months with no issues and great runtime. I tried the new set-up this morning and everything powered up fine, although I checked battery life through the leds of the 302 and it showed about 3/4 full on external power, but from my experience with it that's plenty for 3 to 4 hours. Any insight to issues that may arise would be greatly appreciated. Going to test it Friday.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
The insert which came with the Talentcell indicates the 12V supply is good for loads up to 6 Amps.  You should be okay as long as your total draw is < 6A.

If necessary you could parallel the two batteries and use both simultaneously to increase your run time (halving the amperage draw from each).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

jcable77

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »
The insert which came with the Talentcell indicates the 12V supply is good for loads up to 6 Amps.  You should be okay as long as your total draw is < 6A.

If necessary you could parallel the two batteries and use both simultaneously to increase your run time (halving the amperage draw from each).
I was contemplating doing that but I did a lil research today and the draw is under 6v and I also found out the led battery  settings werent what they needed to be in the setup menu. It was set for 18v which would explain the few LEDs off when I powered the whole thing up. Looks like I'm good to go. Just ordered a third one. Found some pics of the Marine charger you made with the cig lighters. That's my project for this weekend.

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2018, 11:37:51 PM »
I need a new battery for my Edirol UA-5. All of the info on this page is pretty old, but it looks like I need a battery with different polarity that what I'm finding on Ebay etal.
Would appreciate any help for somebody who is not necessary completely tech savvy on this issue.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2018, 11:41:09 PM »
I need a new battery for my Edirol UA-5. All of the info on this page is pretty old, but it looks like I need a battery with different polarity that what I'm finding on Ebay etal.
Would appreciate any help for somebody who is not necessary completely tech savvy on this issue.

You actually just need a reverse polarity cable.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »

Thanks. But are those readily available or do I need one specially made?
(Full disclosure: I'm slowly bowing out of the taping game, so I'm trying to milk this UA-5 preamp for a couple more years. Damed battery I got from the Oades didn't wanna cooperate).

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2018, 12:02:57 AM »

(Full disclosure: I'm slowly bowing out of the taping game, so I'm trying to milk this UA-5 preamp for a couple more years. Damed battery I got from the Oades didn't wanna cooperate).

I can build you on for your battery of choice.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131680.0
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2018, 04:30:42 PM »

I can build you on for your battery of choice.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131680.0

I was looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V88ZFYH8G942JPABMZQE

What I'm trying to figure out is whether I can still use the battery cable that came with my UA-5 and stock Oade Bros. battery (that has now died). I know the UA-5 power input has reversed polarity, but I don't know if the battery also had the polarity reversed.

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2018, 05:50:17 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V88ZFYH8G942JPABMZQE

What I'm trying to figure out is whether I can still use the battery cable that came with my UA-5 and stock Oade Bros. battery (that has now died). I know the UA-5 power input has reversed polarity, but I don't know if the battery also had the polarity reversed.

You need a 9v battery, 12v may be to much. (See power input voltage on pic below)

Look on the first post at the bottom and you’ll see the most current batteries out there that supply 9v.  What battery brand/style is your old cable for!

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »

You need a 9v battery, 12v may be to much. (See power input voltage on pic below)

Look on the first post at the bottom and you’ll see the most current batteries out there that supply 9v.  What battery brand/style is your old cable for!

Thanks again. There were only two batteries with live links to 9V packs on the first page. There's a lot of threads/posts on here from folks saying they use 12V batteries with their UA-5 and it works fine.
The 12V packs seem more readily available and less costly.

The battery that failed was an Oade Brothers Battery Pack with no other stickers or brand listings. But I'm told by others it was a 12 volt pack.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:51:12 PM by cyfan »

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »
Question about powering a UA-5 and need some help.
All the threads on this device and powering options are quite old.  This is the latest thread dealing with it.

Due to being discontinued around 15 years ago, most users were powering the UA-5 with DVD batteries/RC batteries.

I just purchased one in the Yard Sale.  I would like to feed the device using the 9v plug on a Talent Cell.
I understand the polarity issues with the cord.

However ...
The Talent Cell outputs 9v at 1A.
The UA-5 accepts 9v at 450mA.
What issues am I expected to run into powering the UA-5 with the Talent Cell?
Its this possible?
Will I need a way to "Step-down" the amperage to the UA-5?  If so, what would the solution be?

Thanks for anyone's help.  There is currently no thread dealing with "modern" power solutions in the form of Li-ion battery banks.
Powering a deck and pre from the same battery would make for a smaller set-up.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2019, 10:41:38 AM »
Am I correct in assuming that the device will only draw the needed 450 mA if provided with 9v ?
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com