Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Location Location Location  (Read 8689 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Location Location Location
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »

For the last few years I have used a Super Clamp and articulating arm setup far more than I have used a stand.

In one venue in particular I use an unusual setup of a flex arm wedged into the handle of a monitor and cables run around the lip of the stage to backstage where the wireless soundboard is and also take a patch from there when available.

Do you have any pictures of these setups?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »

I can snap some pics when I get home tonight. I'm packing for a move but I think I have everything within easy reach.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »

For the last few years I have used a Super Clamp and articulating arm setup far more than I have used a stand.

In one venue in particular I use an unusual setup of a flex arm wedged into the handle of a monitor and cables run around the lip of the stage to backstage where the wireless soundboard is and also take a patch from there when available.

Do you have any pictures of these setups?
Heathen, check out this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186393.0            for good shot of superclamp on drink rail, plus two mic mount views of the articulated arm.
Here is the link I used to buy it (also discussed in the rigging and clamping thread): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354218-REG/Manfrotto_196AB_2_196AB_2_Articulated_Arm.html
Pick up or use one you already own: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546376-REG/Manfrotto_037_037_Reversible_Short_Stud.html OR
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824427-REG/Impact_srp_104_Short_Double_Male_Hex.html

Once kindms figured out the ends of each arm are different thread sizes so you can use one end with one thread size and the other end with the alternate thread size, we realized the true value of this thing. (caveat- It is short, less than 24 inches when fully extended)
As aaronji told me, be careful which one you buy , they have a double articulated arm which is much HEAVIER than this one.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 02:01:56 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline heathen

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »
Great info, thanks!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 02:34:22 PM »

Once kindms figured out the ends of each arm are different thread sizes so you can use one end with one thread size and the other end with the alternate thread size, we realized the true value of this thing. (caveat- It is short, less than 24 inches when fully extended)

It took me a while to realize that one end is 1/4 thread and the other is 3/8 so with that reversible stud + 5/8 adapter I can mount just about anything. Also handy for switching from mic mounts to video camera gear.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
I just would like to chime in and endorse the realization that the OP in this thread is describing. I wish that everyone would realize this.

That is all.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »
Hi heathen

When I started taping, I had a similar problem in that the legs of my stand would be a tripping hazard. It worked out best if I could set up close to a wall or roped off area, and I could position two of the legs in low traffic areas, and just protect the one leg.

I also came up with another solution. It looks a bit bizarre but it works. Some SoCal tapers have seen me with this set up. My day job is a scientist, and a while ago, when the company I was working at  shuttered its doors, I was able to rescue some lab items before they went into the trash. One is a heavy duty lab stand, typically used for suspending instruments. Then I have three "talon" clamps. I can clamp my light stand using the talon clamps, then secure those clamps onto the stand.

This way, all I need to protect is the base, which is a rectangular plate. It's a very tight footprint. I usually put my foot on it, put my bag on it, or slide it under the roped off area, or table, etc.

The drawback is that it can't handle too much weight like this. An pair of full bodied mics are fine, but if I want to add a video cam, another set of mics, etc, it starts to be a little too much.

It also breaks down very easily. The pole unscrews from the base, so I can put the base and clamps into my backpack, and the pole goes into the same bag as the mic stand.

But to your point about location, here in the Bay Area, the venues I've been to have hassled me about my stand, no matter how small the footprint and they make me set up in non ideal places. So I've reverted to hatting the mics to get to a better position.

Ted

Lately I've been trying to make an effort to think more about getting the best location in a venue first, and then gear tailored to that location second (rather than the other way around...I find I'm more inclined to think of gear first and foremost).  I think it's fairly well-established that decent gear in the perfect location will make a better-sounding recording than superb gear in a mediocre location.  (One thing that opened my eyes to this is the Audience Recording Hall of Fame thread...that Pink Floyd show from '77 was recorded on mics that most people on here would avoid if given the choice, yet 40 years later it still sounds great, which I can only assume is a testament to the taper picking the optimal location rather than having the best mics in existence.)  So, what I've been trying to think about is: what gear best facilitates me getting set up in the optimal location?

One important caveat here is that, when possible, I prefer to mount my mics on something other than myself.  That's just my own personal preference, of course, and not some rule that I think should apply to everyone.  I can and do stealth shows with mics on my person, but given the choice I'd rather avoid that.

One of the things that I have found (in my admittedly limited experience compared to most tapers on here) that limits where I can set up is my mic stands.  I use mic stands with the three legs in the bottom section, like many on here.  Those obviously take up space because of their footprint, but they also can be tripped over in a dark and crowded venue.  Obviously, mounting mics on my person is a way to prevent this, but see my caveat above.  Another potential solution is using a clamp or securing the stand to something so the legs don't need to be extended.  The limitation with this approach is the need to have something to clamp onto...if that something isn't in the ideal location, then it's not terribly helpful.

That leaves alternative mic stand designs.  One that doesn't present as much of a tripping hazard is the mic stand with a heavy base.  Those heavy bases, however, present problems in terms of portability (does anyone feel that they want to make their bag heavier than it already is?) and questions from security when bringing gear in.  Another possibility is a monopod.  There's virtually no tripping hazard with a monopod, but the big downside is that it can't stand up on its own.  You're left to either recruit a very willing helper, or keep one hand on the monopod throughout the show.  I have seen some monopods with little feet that can extend at the bottom, but those don't seem nearly stable enough to be trusted on their own in a dark and crowded venue.

A context I have in mind for this whole issue is a show where maybe taping is allowed, but they want you to set up in a less-than-ideal location (so you try to get set up in the sweet spot instead, but have to keep a low profile).  That or some of the shows where might have no trouble bringing in whatever gear you want, but you still have to keep your setup inconspicuous.

Unfortunately I don't have any silver bullet answer, and am more looking for input from others about how to tailor your setup towards prioritizing location.  This is not to suggest that anyone on here just sets up wherever is most convenient and doesn't consider where the sweet spot might be.  Keep in mind I'm thinking of my own tendency to focus on gear first, which maybe others succumb to at times as well.

(I know I've focused a lot on how to mount mics, but I recognize there are other considerations as well.  For example, it's easier to set up anywhere with a more compact setup...actives, IPAs, and M10 versus bigass LDs, outboard preamp, and 788T.)
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Just brainstorming here... http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-biking/diy-gopro-mtb-backpack-mount/

You should make one- so when we finally meet at a show I'll be able to recognize you.

Seriously, I'm in the same place you are right now. I gave up a sbd patch last week so I could get the mics in a (much) better position. Glad I did it too. I grabbed a table in the sweet spot and placed my mic stand so two of the three legs were under the table, the third leg was a tripping hazard and the tables were pretty close to each other. What I wished for at that moment was a way to attach my stand to the table top so I could fold all of the legs in and still have the height I needed. Sorta like using bungee cords to secure your stand to the drink rail, but clamped to the table top. All i need to do is figure out a way to attach a superclamp to the stand at table-top height, then clamp it to the table.

I tried a stand with 3 short, 1/4" diameter rods for legs- very unstable at 6', even with AT853's. I was outdoors and had to hold onto that thing for 6 hours.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline heathen

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:59 PM »
tedyun, you've given me a whole new category of stands to look into!

What I wished for at that moment was a way to attach my stand to the table top so I could fold all of the legs in and still have the height I needed.

The other day I was looking at the Lowel stands that allow the legs to fold flat and flush with the surface it's standing on.  That seems like a reasonable approach, as the "footprint" is somewhat mitigated by the legs not sticking up and catching feet.  Legs that fold flat could also sit nicely on a table top.

I found mention of the Lowel stands in an old thread or two on here, but I don't remember seeing any final word on whether they're stable enough with the legs flat.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:57 PM »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »
To borrow a commonly-used phrase among Magic: the Gathering players...

Seems good.

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »
tedyun, you've given me a whole new category of stands to look into!

What I wished for at that moment was a way to attach my stand to the table top so I could fold all of the legs in and still have the height I needed.

The other day I was looking at the Lowel stands that allow the legs to fold flat and flush with the surface it's standing on.  That seems like a reasonable approach, as the "footprint" is somewhat mitigated by the legs not sticking up and catching feet.  Legs that fold flat could also sit nicely on a table top.

I found mention of the Lowel stands in an old thread or two on here, but I don't remember seeing any final word on whether they're stable enough with the legs flat.

Ah crap, my stand will do that (legs flat). I wish I would have remembered that last week. It's stable in that configuration too. Here's what I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO4WRNG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 With a baby extension I can reach 10'.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 08:37:43 PM »
Just brainstorming here... http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-biking/diy-gopro-mtb-backpack-mount/

You should make one- so when we finally meet at a show I'll be able to recognize you.

Seriously, I'm in the same place you are right now. I gave up a sbd patch last week so I could get the mics in a (much) better position. Glad I did it too. I grabbed a table in the sweet spot and placed my mic stand so two of the three legs were under the table, the third leg was a tripping hazard and the tables were pretty close to each other. What I wished for at that moment was a way to attach my stand to the table top so I could fold all of the legs in and still have the height I needed. Sorta like using bungee cords to secure your stand to the drink rail, but clamped to the table top. All i need to do is figure out a way to attach a superclamp to the stand at table-top height, then clamp it to the table.

I tried a stand with 3 short, 1/4" diameter rods for legs- very unstable at 6', even with AT853's. I was outdoors and had to hold onto that thing for 6 hours.

manfrotto extension and superclamp. this is next on my wish list

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Online goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »

All i need to do is figure out a way to attach a superclamp to the stand at table-top height, then clamp it to the table.

You can mate two superclamps together and clamp one to the table and one to the stand. If you get the angles right it's very sturdy.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »
  My preference would be to wear the gear in the right spot rather than use a stand in a sub-optimal location.

^^ This
music>mics>pre>recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com