Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery Box / UA-5 Q  (Read 2101 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Battery Box / UA-5 Q
« on: March 18, 2004, 06:20:48 PM »
Kinda confused about this.  If I run SP mics through a battery box and into the UA-5 w/ phantom power off, am I getting any benefit from the wmod?  The battery box brings the signal up to line level correct?  Same thing that the preamps in UA-5 do?  So what happens when the signal is already at line level.  This is gonna be a non-issue once I get them mics 'unmodded' but I'm still curious.  Apologizes in advance for my stupidity.

-Kevin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:Battery Box / UA-5 Q
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 06:29:16 PM »
If I run SP mics through a battery box and into the UA-5 w/ phantom power off, am I getting any benefit from the wmod?

Yes, the benefits of the upgraded preamp and the ADC.

The battery box brings the signal up to line level correct?

Depends on which box you have.  The standard battery box provides power to the mics and does not provide gain to bring the signal up to line level.  A hot sound source may be able to drive a line level without the added gain, though likely not high enough to get strong levels up near 0dB.

Same thing that the preamps in UA-5 do?

Only if the battery box also provides gain - some battery boxes do, some don't.  Regardless, though I haven't done any direct testing, the UA5's gain stage should sound significantly better than the battery box's gain stage - especially with the wmod.

So what happens when the signal is already at line level.

If the signal is already at line level, you'd just keep the gain on the UA5 turned as low as it will go, or feed the signal through the RCA inputs on the back of the unit.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 11:11:35 AM »
I tried to do something like this a few weeks ago... and here's what happened.

I have some sp binaural mics that terminate in a stereo miniplug.  I ran that into my sp battery box.  Then I have a cable that is female miniplug to 2 male XLR's which I plugged into my w-mod UA-5.

Turned the trim all the way down.  Peak light was on the entire time.  I quickly unhooked the UA-5, and went directly into the JB3.

So, if I was to run them into the RCA inputs (on the back, right?) I would still be benefiting from the W-Mod?   Good to know!

Thanks!
+t's
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 11:17:17 AM »
So, if I was to run them into the RCA inputs (on the back, right?) I would still be benefiting from the W-Mod?   Good to know!

The RCAs on the back panel go through a different gain stage than the front XLRs, so you will not be benefitting from the wmod.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 11:20:36 AM »

The RCAs on the back panel go through a different gain stage than the front XLRs, so you will not be benefitting from the wmod.

Thanks!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com