Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity: Project Rate vs Actual Rate  (Read 3039 times)

Offline moricle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Moricle on Archive.org
Audacity: Project Rate vs Actual Rate
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:51:18 PM »
So I've only just realized this:

When I am working in Audacity on a 16/44.1 WAV file that I recorded, in the bottom right corner it will say "Actual Rate: 48000" after I've listened to the project.  On the far bottom left corner, I have it set to Project Rate: 44100.  What is the difference in Project rate and Actual rate?  Why does the actual rate say 48000?  And lastly, does the 48000 Project Rate mean I should be doing something differently as I export my project to FLAC?
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@moricle
Mics: Rode M5 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, CA-14 Cards
Decks: Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL
Lineage: SD > Audacity (amplify/normalize) > FLAC

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Audacity: Project Rate vs Actual Rate
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »
So I've only just realized this:

When I am working in Audacity on a 16/44.1 WAV file that I recorded, in the bottom right corner it will say "Actual Rate: 48000" after I've listened to the project.  On the far bottom left corner, I have it set to Project Rate: 44100.  What is the difference in Project rate and Actual rate?  Why does the actual rate say 48000?  And lastly, does the 48000 Project Rate mean I should be doing something differently as I export my project to FLAC?

Project Rate will be set by the first file you import - but thats also where you set the target/final project export rate.

The "Actual Rate" doesn't seem to mean much. It sets to the first wav you play - and then never seems to reset.

I imported 2 versions of the same song - one 44.1 and one 48 - it set itself to 44.1 from the file I imported first - and remained at 44.1 after I imported and played the 48k (with the 44.1 file still open)

Then I deleted the 44.1 file - leaving the 48 open - but neither Project Rate or Actual Rate would reset to 48 - and remained at 44.1...

Seems a bit buggy - Im a few versions behind on this machine (2.0.3).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com