Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Front of stage mic height?  (Read 12025 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Front of stage mic height?
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
When I "onstage" or "stage lip" I try to get the mics 1-2ft above the height of the front monitor wedges. Or conveniently about the height of those knee-facing guitar amps, and about the midpoint height of the drum kit. Not sure how much science there is to that, but it has worked for me.  And well below a height that will be wacky for the performer.

If you're actually in the crowd, then yeah, you want to be at least head height, "head" meaning wherever most heads are (e.g., if everyone is seated, then at or just above where those heads are)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
To me the optimal accouterment for costuming a binaural head for Moke's gigs would be a Beethoven wig (sans wig powder which may clog the mics).  Come to think of it a head in the form of a Beethoven bust ala the style sitting atop Schroeder's toy Peanuts piano would seem most apropos.

Just not sure if that would set the musicians more at ease or put the fear of Ludwig in them!   Likely dependent on how classical their persuasion.

Swap out for an early 70's Herbie-style 2' diameter 'fro for wind-prone funk/fusion gigs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
The same rules that apply to human hairstyles apply to binaural head hairstyles.  Thus there can be only one correct choice: the mullet.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 06:45:25 PM »
For certain musical styles it's the obvious choice!

How'bout rigid starched Mohawk doubling as Schneider disc for punk?

Credit to Core Sound for the Scheider disc image.
Random google image search for the hair- concern about credit ain't punk.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline thatjackelliott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »
But how about Metal? Could a dummy head be screwed onto a mechanical device that will move it about in a headbanging motion?  :guitarist:

mfrench

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
if you're going to clutter the end of the center aisle, you might as well make it colorful.

first pic,... that is actually the edge of the stage, it just doesn't look like one.
last pic: Gude has spaced omnis as shoulders.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:55:58 PM by Moke »

mfrench

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
OK,... I mentioned Gude might be leaning towards a cyborg-steampunk look.
Decisions decisions,... which hat pin style looks better? The dashing over the ear right ear style, or, the left ear surrounding uber-cyborg aural amplitudificator?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:37:27 PM by Moke »

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Left ear      ;D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »
TJE—I have only used the Crown boundary mics on an indoor stage (looked pretty permanent) and don’t know how they’d perform outdoors on a temporary stage.  Wind protection might be a challenge, maybe you could cover them with furry plastic colander bowls...     Moke—what is that binaural head made from — is it heavy/dense or light material?  (Sorry if I’m veering off topic). That looks really interesting.

It is a Sennheiser MKE2002 Aritificial Head Binaural Stereo Microphone Kit.
long enough name? yep, that its proper name.

It is a hard plastic, now. It was a bit softer back when I got it 30 yeas ago.  But time marches on, and plastics harden. It is foam filled, with some sort of expandable foam.
Its ears are well detailed like a humans ears.  A pair of DPA4060 fit into the ear canals well, and I've used it that way a few times.  The rigging shown in that image is with the Senn matching mics. The Senn mics are joined together with a stethoscopic-like bridge, and it is held into the ears by little ball ends at the mic cap. There is a chin clip to fix and hold the proper mic angle in relation to the ears.

I wish I had something similar to use with my schoeps mk3....

I've seen people using Styrofoam heads for this as well.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/floracraft-foam-heads/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=03166-6910&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzZDFuuKO1wIVDjBpCh3XMQ9NEAQYASABEgJFnvD_BwE#photos
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

mfrench

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 01:23:11 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Left ear      ;D

Its surprising to see how well a DVD burner/swimming pool timer clock mechanism hybrid fits over the ear of a Senn head, ain't it? Its like a custsom fit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com