Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Front of stage mic height?  (Read 12023 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Front of stage mic height?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
TJE—I have only used the Crown boundary mics on an indoor stage (looked pretty permanent) and don’t know how they’d perform outdoors on a temporary stage.  Wind protection might be a challenge, maybe you could cover them with furry plastic colander bowls...     Moke—what is that binaural head made from — is it heavy/dense or light material?  (Sorry if I’m veering off topic). That looks really interesting.

It is a Sennheiser MKE2002 Artificial Head Binaural Stereo Microphone Kit.
long enough name? yep, that its proper name.

It is a hard plastic, now. It was a bit softer back when I got it 30 yeas ago.  But time marches on, and plastics harden. It is foam filled, with some sort of expandable foam.
Its ears are well detailed like a humans ears.  A pair of DPA4060 fit into the ear canals well, and I've used it that way a few times.  The rigging shown in that image is with the Senn matching mics. The Senn mics are joined together with a stethoscopic-like bridge, and it is held into the ears by little ball ends at the mic cap. There is a chin clip to fix and hold the proper mic angle in relation to the ears.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:01:22 PM by Moke »

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Gutbucket wrote (in part), "I recall a sound tech friend commenting on how loud tap-dancing pickup can be, and having to accommodate for that in the PA mix."

Tap dancing?!? Oy. People will watch anything.

Any discerning sound tech should at that point throw down his headphones and march toward the exit while proclaiming loudly, "I can't work under these conditions!"

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »
Ha.  There's a slight contagion of tap dancers horning in on jazz shows.  I think the only time I actually attended such a mash-up they did keep the tappers in different pieces from the musicians...  but there are some who will dance with the band if no one puts the hook out there to pull them offstage. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »
TJE—I have only used the Crown boundary mics on an indoor stage (looked pretty permanent) and don’t know how they’d perform outdoors on a temporary stage.  Wind protection might be a challenge, maybe you could cover them with furry plastic colander bowls...     Moke—what is that binaural head made from — is it heavy/dense or light material?  (Sorry if I’m veering off topic). That looks really interesting.

It is a Sennheiser MKE2002 Aritificial Head Binaural Stereo Microphone Kit.
long enough name? yep, that its proper name.

It is a hard plastic, now. It was a bit softer back when I got it 30 yeas ago.  But time marches on, and plastics harden. It is foam filled, with some sort of expandable foam.
Its ears are well detailed like a humans ears.  A pair of DPA4060 fit into the ear canals well, and I've used it that way a few times.  The rigging shown in that image is with the Senn matching mics. The Senn mics are joined together with a stethoscopic-like bridge, and it is held into the ears by little ball ends at the mic cap. There is a chin clip to fix and hold the proper mic angle in relation to the ears.

I wish I had something similar to use with my schoeps mk3....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

mfrench

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 09:02:17 PM »
What's that, Noah?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »
What's that, Noah?

a dummy head, without microphones. So I can use mine!
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
Ha.  There's a slight contagion of tap dancers horning in on jazz shows.  I think the only time I actually attended such a mash-up they did keep the tappers in different pieces from the musicians...  but there are some who will dance with the band if no one puts the hook out there to pull them offstage.

I just saw Savigon Glover and Marcus Gilmore perform as a duo a few weeks ago. It's not something I would ever listen to at home so I left the gear at home but it was visually interesting.

http://www.dakotacooks.com/event/savion-glover-marcus-gilmore/
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

mfrench

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 11:28:01 PM »
What's that, Noah?

a dummy head, without microphones. So I can use mine!

There is a company thta is pouring custom ears shaped from real ear contours. They could be applied to any number of different base substrate.
I'm winging it here. I'll find a link and post it.

well, that was quick and easy: http://binauralenthusiast.com/product/silicone-ears-grey/

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:04 AM »
Recording:

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 01:11:00 AM »
Now you had to go and hijack this thread to start talking about dummy heads, and it was a perfectly fine off-topic gripe about the alarming increase in the popularity of tap dancing.  ;)

jcable77

mfrench

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 03:23:31 AM »
Now you had to go and hijack this thread to start talking about dummy heads, and it was a perfectly fine off-topic gripe about the alarming increase in the popularity of tap dancing.  ;)

OK,... I can just as easily get us back onto being off-track.

Scottish folk music.
Quaint, frolicking, whimsical folk music you say?

The next night, I also recorded my longtime target for mics in this same hall,... and i pointed out something to them, and they wondered,... how did this nice hardwood stage get so damaged?

Quaint, frolicking, whimsical folk music,... and then they brought out the dance troupe.
Ahh geeez, and holy crap, someone broke out the Howitzer Cannon!  Those Scottish dancin' shoes were like hammers, and there were dozens of them in this fairly small space, and i was set with my levels for quaint, frolicking,....

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
Heh.  Dig the Frankensteinien ear-bolt/screws on that binaural head.  They ought to sell self-adhesive faux versions as fashion accessories for their human binaural enthusiasts.  Nothing screams binaural recording geek like faux bolt-in ears.   And that cranium-top camera gimble has potential practical applications.  Imagining it in combination with the original Super-Glue TV ad that had the guy dangling from his hardhat adhered to the I-beam.

Up in Western North Carolina its common to find cloggers joining in on the old-time Appalachian gigs.  Often a sheet of plywood is laid out as a surface for it, sometimes mic'd.  There's a monthly hoe-down and "Cake Dance" in a tiny town near my folks place with loads of local color.  One of the old-as-the-hills former regular dancers can now barely walk much less jig dance, and sits in a folding chair off to the side bouncing a little stick puppet around on block of wood he straps to his knee with an big-rubber band cut from an old tire inner-tube.  Last time I was there he was featured on one tune and someone hand held a SM57 to amp the puppet tapping.

It's a buck dancers choice my friend..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
The head,...
If you go this route, get ready to answer any number of questions regarding, what the heck is that?
Get ready for musicians to look at it, and, not be at ease.
Case in point; last thursday,  when I mounted the head, the guitarist looked at it, and went from yeah, go for it, to, 8-|
I said that I can dress him down really quickly, and threw on my sunglasses, and, a hat that I just got from another violin ensemble. He looked at it again, 8-).
It seemed that he never gave it second thought beynd that.
This transformation in turning it from cyborg-thing to more humanistic, and putting the artist at ease, has played out numerous times over the years. With this in mind, I've been making a couple of purchases of items for him as adornment, and they range from *uber-postnuclear-modern_cyborg-steampunk, to, *steampunk light (subtle). (*not the corny Johnny Depp'esque cartoonish steampunk)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
^ Funny but I get it.  It looks like it can be a little creepy when unadorned.  Perfect for Halloween... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com