Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tamron vs Nikon lens  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
Tamron vs Nikon lens
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »
I am going to pull the trigger on  a new Nikon D80 package and will be using it for mostly landscape /concerts.
  I am new to this level of a camera and have read alot on many models and this is what I want to go with but I am not sure on the lenses.

I am looking at 2 packages that are the same except for the glass.  Kit includes >(D80 Body ,2 tripods, 4gb card, card reader , 2 lenses , 3 filters , cleaning kit, hard case, bag, wide angle and flash )

I have these options

Tamron AF28-80mm F3.5-5.6

&
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD

or
Nikon 28-80 MM Nikkor Lens

&
Nikon 70-300mm Nikkor Lens

Would going with the Tamron be a good or bad choice, I was told the Tamron's have better resolution

I know I have seen some incredible photo's with Sigma's and I hear people say they are junk all the time.
are these particular Tamron's a step up or down in this case?    Thanks in advance
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: Tamron vs Nikon lens
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:16:25 PM »
for concerts neither are really good options.  You really want a faster lens, something with a larger aperature.  If you know for sure you're going to get into photography, I'd spend the extra cash now and get more useful glass, then getting the kit lenses, and realizing that they don't fit your needs.  Their resale value is not good. 

In a dream world, I'd recommend the 28-70 and 70-200 F2.8 nikkors.  As money doesn't grow on trees, I'd suggest looking for a Tamron/Sigma 28-70 F2.8 (or whatever f2.8 lens they're making now) and start from there.  I have all sigma EX lenses, and I'm quite happy with the quality. 

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:24:01 AM »
Back in the SLR days, Tamron was always seen as a second-tier player. Their optics not quite up to task of what Nikkor and Canon were doing. Sigma was the odd ball player and had both good and no so good stuff out there. With the world going to digital now, I have no clue if the same is true. I haven't bought a lens for my SLR in 15 years. I haven't used my SLR in probably 5 years, yet I haven't gone the digital SLR route yet. Since selling my darkroom equipment I haven't had the desire to do tons of photos, so a simple (or not so simple) digital all in one is what I went with (Minolta Dimage 7i and Panasonic LX-1).

If Tamron has cleaned up their act, then they probably are pretty close to Nikkor, however at one time nobody could touch Nikkor or Canon (OK maybe Zeiss).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

BobW

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:11:22 AM »
Yes, maybe Zeiss..as in on the Leica and Hasselblads    ::)
If you've never seen a Distagon T*50mm product shot, you are missing allot.

The Tamron LD lenses kicked ass and took no prisoners in my opinion, but  (large but) don't hold up.
I hate it when a lens starts to wiggle, although I haven't done qualitative tests to see if it affected sharpness.

Yes, a fast lens (you want a 2.8 or as close as you can get) AND optical Image Stabilization, which is getting much more prevalent and cost effective.  These are essential for solid handheld night photography.
Also practice a solid,wide stance and a steady, well-supported grip. Be the tripod.    ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:13:45 AM by _bob_ »

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:46 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up getting the Tamron lens for now. This is good enough for me for now I will eventually save up and grab a f 2.8.

I will be mostly doing landscape , living in the Sirrea's there are endless choices of incredible places to shoot. 

I have a lot to learn . I am going to see what kind of results I get as far as concert shots @ UM and Tea Leaf Green 2/18
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:43:46 AM »
Yeah, f2.8 or lower is your only option for indoor, no-flash concert photography. Anything else will be totally useless in 9 out of 10 cases. Outdoor shows are a totally different thing though, and you can go plenty slower on the aperture.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »
try to find a 50/1.8 they're usually cheap (less than $100), sharp, and fantastic for low light concert shooting.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
Defintelty pick up a 50/1.8.  Best buy in a low light lens ever.  Like others have said it should be no more than $125 brand new, and you can find nice used ones for $75-80.  I'll also throw in my reccomendation for a Tokina 24-70/2.8.  They run about $250 new and it is a very sharp little lens.  I really like mine.....

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com