Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shapeways 3D printed mic clip questions?  (Read 9950 times)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Shapeways 3D printed mic clip questions?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
I'm curious because I honestly don't know.... is 3D printer plastic flexible enough to be trusted?  I'd be afraid the plastic is brittle and would break.

I'm more familiar with an older technology called stereolithography, where everything I've ever seen is brittle.  I realize 3D printing is more modern and different, but I thought the material properties were similar.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
Lots of advances in stereolithography resins since we started working with them in the early 90's.  Big variety available now, no worries about getting any properties you want/need.  Funny how some of the most brittle liquid resins ended up being the most stable, over time (no warping or cracking/crazing...).

Same evolution happened later with additive 3D processes, too.....better powders, filaments, adhesives....lots of material options now.

Getting closer and closer to real "production" parts now........if not there already.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
Maybe Chris went back to the original body style at some point.

I sent him an e-mail asking about the body change and if anything else was different between the 2 sets of mics and he responded on Oct. 15, 2010:

"I changed the mics as no one including me ever used the -10db pad or bass roll off. They  only made more noise in the signal path.
Other than that the components are all the same inside and the sound is the same.  It’s just revision 2 of the mics."

Maybe he went back to the bodies with the switches on them as revision 3?

Either way I still believe that the bodies with the switches are slightly larger than those without...

This was interesting news. I shouldn't be surprised that Chris continues to try to improve his products, that is a plus for us all. I will say that I use the -10db pad at a few venues where am pretty close to the monitors. I am very happy for that ability on my mics, but the bass rolloff I never use and have had it accidentally flipped a few times which creates a lot of unwanted post work.

Maybe at some point you will have the opportunity to measure your mic bodies, to see what the difference is. Thanks for the info!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
^If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that if it was a crazy bass heavy show when I was running BSC1 (omni) > SD MixPre...  I would occasionally have to flip my LCF switch on the BSC1 bodies because the the signal was so hot going into the MixPre (because of the low end that the mikes were picking up and putting out).  But the omni's have serious low end IMO..  the BSC1's have a pretty hot output IMO..  and MixPre has super hot inputs.  So that LCF switch saved my ass a few times I think.

.....this stuff is totally off-topic but relative to the conversation......  sorry.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 06:18:51 AM »
There is now one available in ORTF for Busman BSC1.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/BG98ZWZXX/ortf-bsc1?optionId=61422873
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
I'm curious because I honestly don't know.... is 3D printer plastic flexible enough to be trusted?  I'd be afraid the plastic is brittle and would break.

I'm more familiar with an older technology called stereolithography, where everything I've ever seen is brittle.  I realize 3D printing is more modern and different, but I thought the material properties were similar.

I bought a DINa/DIN one for my microphones. Its quite strong.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com