Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with iOS devices  (Read 12119 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recording with iOS devices
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
You got a link..? There are a few apps with that name... and many thx for doing the legwork. I am right there with ya, but I am Waiting for my mics to be terminated with microdots; should get them back soon. I am thinking of using my daughter's iPod touch, as it has more space  and theoretically should be less noisy since it has no cellular stuff... the d:vice is pretty trick-can't wait to give it all a whirl...
What is the fascination with recording at 96 kHz? I suspect most are perfectly happy at 48 kHz, 24 bits.

I use iZotope Rx to edit out audience noises, coughs, other distractions like sirens and buzzing and stomping conductors.  The extra resolution seems to help with this surgery.  Some friends with high end hifi setups also say they can hear the difference on raw files, I can't say I do.

By the way, DPA emailed me this morning to try Voice Recorder Pro, I downloaded Voice Recorder Pro 7 which promises unlimited time recording.  It certainly enables the 24 bit 96 kH recording with the MMA-A.  I am waiting to see if it does seamless file splits, if so I am good to go.  It also enables wifi file transfer with your computer, as does AudioShare.

Jeff
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »
You got a link..? There are a few apps with that name... and many thx for doing the legwork. I am right there with ya, but I am Waiting for my mics to be terminated with microdots; should get them back soon. I am thinking of using my daughter's iPod touch, as it has more space  and theoretically should be less noisy since it has no cellular stuff... the d:vice is pretty trick-can't wait to give it all a whirl...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-record-pro-7/id810588885?mt=8

All the Voice Recorder Pro products seem to be about the same, only with different graphic interfaces (or so they claim).  I am waiting to hear back from them on the seamless split issue,  I recorded for 3-4 hours and the machine was running fine with no error messages.  When I stopped the recording, only a 4 GB, 2 hour file shows up.  But in my iPhone settings, it looks like 6 GB or so are taken.  So the overrun beyond 2 hours is likely still around, I just have to figure out where and how to retrieve it.

Jeff

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »
For reasonably stealthy recordings on iOS phones, there's the Hooke Verse device, see http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172222.0

No, I don't have shares in the company!

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 10:08:59 PM »
For reasonably stealthy recordings on iOS phones, there's the Hooke Verse device, see http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172222.0

No, I don't have shares in the company!

Perhaps for some, but those honking big earpieces wouldn't constitute "reasonably stealthy" in any place I record.

Also.  16/44.1 is not 24/96.  96 kH might be overkill for some (not me), but 16 bit is lame unless you are sure you can nail levels consistently. 

There is undoubtedly lots of marketing hype in the initial blurb on the d:vice MMA-A, but having used an MMA-6000 and lots of DPA mics (4006s in addition to the miniature lines), I have some confidence the claims, even if exaggerated, are not totally fictitious. 

I'll look for classical acoustic samples using the Hooke setup that impress me before I try to figure out how I would need to explain wearing the gear.

Jeff

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »

In years gone by I would have been able to provide those classical samples in a heartbeat, but these days, sadly there's no immediate prospect.  The stuff from the Hooke device online seems to never be quite the kind of test clip one would want.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »
I received an email from DPA suggesting the Hindenburg app. It is priced at $29.99 and records to 24bit/48kHz.

Last update: 10/26/2016
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »
Audioshare will do 24/48 and also record to .caf files for unlimited time runs (I have done 9.5 hours with a ~9 GB file, Audacity will allow splitting this and exporting the pieces to .wav files).  It is a lot cheaper than $29.99.

Voice Record Pro, as I mentioned, does 24/96 but cuts off at 4GB without a manual restart.

The problem I have is finding an app that will do 24/96 and unlimited (except by the phone's memory) time runs.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
I have had a couple of dpa folks suggest garage band but that seems like a lot of overhead for what we are doing.,,
-macdaddy ++

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
The RØDE Rec App records unlimited time 24-bit 48kHz caf files (up to 96kHz when paired with the RØDE iXY microphone).
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Thanks, I just looked at the i-store reviews and decided not to risk this, very scary stories of this and the light version locking up with newer phones and iOS versions (also, 96kH for Rode mics only?).  For trial run with DPA MMA-A in two weeks I'll either have to go with AudioShare (at 48kH) or figure out a way to use Voice Record Pro and restart before the 4GB limit.
Jeff

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »
What is the fascination with recording at 96 kHz? I suspect most are perfectly happy at 48 kHz, 24 bits.

Doesn't higher resolution offset the lower quality?   I have seen more 24 96 recordings made with internal mics and such on Dime than with professional quality gear   :banging head: .

Offline Savage Messiah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Trading Site
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
FYI Garageband just released an update on November 1 that allows saving lossless files in 24/48.

Over time I'm going to play with Audioshare, as it's tap-tap-tap and you're in business. I now have an iPhone 7+ 256GB which should more than handle a basic mic > preamp feed of any sort. Shame I had to wait 15 years to get this far. But I don't miss the days of running DAT and sweating bullets for hours on end during warm summer festivals.

Collecting "new" gear.

ISO stealth DATs and cassettes from '90s rock shows!

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
Very interested in the D:vice, but how do I reterminate my pair of 4060's with micro dot connectors? Currently the pair ends in a single 1/8". Does anyone sell an adapter for this, or could someone here make me a cable or reterminate my mic pair?

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »
Send them to dpa in ...
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com