Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External phantom power with Tascam DR-07  (Read 3663 times)

Offline skinnypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
External phantom power with Tascam DR-07
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
I have an elderly Tascam DR-07. I also have a pair of Karma Silver Bullet cheapo omni condensers on their way.

Would an external battery powered phantom power unit (something like this https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_pp2b.htm?ref=search_rslt_phantom+power+pulse_235771_0 ) be an option for hooking them up?

Had a search and couldn't see any posts about using an external unit with the DR-07 so apologies in advance if I'm covering old ground here!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: External phantom power with Tascam DR-07
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
I am not sure what your intended use is, but the DR-07 does not run on phantom power, it only has plug in power. Also it only takes a 1/8 inch TRS jack, so the XLR out of the unit you mention would not work with the DR-07. In general, the Tascam DR-07 is not really designed for use with XLR or phantom powered mics.

More information would be helpful in getting you to the correct gear that will help you with your end objective.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline skinnypaul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I understand the DR-07 doesn't supply phantom. Hense the question about using it with an external phantom supply.

I guess i'm wondering if there's any reason why I can't use an unbalanced minijack-to-2-x-XLR cable to hook up the recorder to the phantom supply (signal too hot for prosumer gear maybe?)

Edit: no real objective beyond seeing if some gear I have lying around can be made to work together  :shrug:  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:03:17 PM by skinnypaul »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »
DSatz has posted about the Denecke PS-2 1/8" mod.  I would guess that the same consideration needs to be taken in making an appropriate cable in this situation.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
I have an elderly Tascam DR-07. I also have a pair of Karma Silver Bullet cheapo omni condensers on their way.

Would an external battery powered phantom power unit (something like this https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_pp2b.htm?ref=search_rslt_phantom+power+pulse_235771_0 ) be an option for hooking them up?

Had a search and couldn't see any posts about using an external unit with the DR-07 so apologies in advance if I'm covering old ground here!

There is a mod for this unit to adapt it to a 1/8" input here:

http://beat-net.blogspot.ca/2011/09/millenium-pp2b-mod.html

and more here:

http://beat-net.blogspot.ca/2012/04/millenium-pp2b-mod-revisited.html

I don't see any reason why that phantom power adapter would not work with your DR07 and phantom powered mics.

I have used the ART PHANTOM II Pro with a dual XLR-to-1/8" stereo adapter and it has worked.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline skinnypaul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »
That's super interesting - thank you!  :cheers:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com