Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Computer Speaker Opionions  (Read 9296 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Computer Speaker Opionions
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:35:49 AM »
So I am currently running an Altec Lansing speaker/subwoofer set with my computer, and I am looking to upgrade my computer speakers.  I am definitely leaning towards the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, but was curious if anyone had any opinions about this brand, or others....

As always, opinions encouraged...

Nick

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:Computer Speaker Opionions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 11:39:11 AM »
I am a cheap bastard and I know that there are better sets out there, but I have a set of the Cambridge Soundworks PC Works speakers and they are great with me.  They cost me $60 refurbished and sound 100 times better than the Altec Lansings that I used to have.  Again, there are better speakers out there, but I do not feel the need to upgrade from my $60 Cambridge Soundworks just to track CDs.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 01:00:05 PM »
Understand your point...if tracking CD's was my only use, I would probably go the cheap way as well.....I find I do a fair amount of listening, and more importantly, cleaning up old recordings on the PC, and would like something decent to playback through...

Any other thoughts??

Nick

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 04:16:10 PM »
So I sped over to Best Buy at lunch to check the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system out, and it sounds freaking nice.  Came back to work, bought it online and it should be here in 3-4 days.  I will post my findings when they get here, but I can't wait....from what I heard in the store, these things would rival some folks playback systems....

Nick

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 09:34:48 PM »
You beat me to it Nick.

That was the system I was going to suggest. I have heard the Klipsch 5.1 system before and it rocked the spot. Word.

Let me know how they sound!

-JB

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 10:26:43 PM »
You beat me to it Nick.

That was the system I was going to suggest. I have heard the Klipsch 5.1 system before and it rocked the spot. Word.

Let me know how they sound!

-JB

Yeah, I went for the 2 channel setup since 99% of what I am doing on the PC right now is stereo based.  Damn things are sitting at FedEx right now....kinda wish I could go over there and get them tonight  ;D

I will post with my findings...but from everything I have been told thus far...I dont anticipate being disappointed!

Nick

Jason B

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 10:35:07 PM »
Sweet! Enjoy!!

-JB

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 12:00:09 AM »
the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers are nice!  i love mine..i got the 4.1 b/c the place i ordered them from were out of the 2.1 so they cut me a really good deal on the 4.1's!  i think they sound pretty badass....my wife hates them  ;)

save

jessedscott

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 12:22:04 PM »
My mother-in-law just got a new Dell PC.  It came w/ Harmon Kardon speakers and sub. Those lil things sound sweet. IMO....

JDS

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 03:06:14 PM »
Last night I went to listen to some cans and heard the new Maggie MC--- the new ones you can hang from the wall. I seriously think I might try to put those on the old PC. Have it run digi out to DAC>pre>amp.  They are sweet! The guy made a little hinge setup so you can just fold them out 2' when you want to listen and then fold in again. Very nice!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 07:36:41 PM »
alright these speakers rock...I would recommend the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 to anyone....best sounding speakers I have ever heard out of a computer!

Jason B

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 08:31:14 PM »
Right on Nick! +T

Enjoy the speakers!

-JB

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
Re:Computer Speaker Opinions
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 04:56:24 AM »
I've always hated the way 99% of the computer speakers sound. I have a little set that I use on rare occasions, but never ever for trying to listen to audio with. Why? Because computer speakers are never flat, they like their larger cousins the stereo speakers, are designed to enhance certain frequencies. Obviously, I'm a bit late in this thread, but if the purpose was to find a set of speakers for monitoring shows, then don't buy computer speakers at all. For right around $300 you can get some nice home studio monitors which won't be perfect either, but will be a much better representation than any computer speaker out there.

I use a set of Alesis M1 studio monitors myself. They aren't the best, but they also didn't break the piggy bank. My dream house has it's own mixing room with a nice set of studio monitors, but since that ain't happening any time soon, my home office with the Alesis monitors will have to do.

I did recently find a deal on a pair of EW Sigma 6.2 monitors at $2800. However, there ain't any way I can afford these right now...

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 08:40:46 AM »
Wayne,

I think the Klipsch would surprise you.  These are definitely the first set of computer speakers I have owned that dont sound like computer speakers.  In fact, I would put them against quite a few folks home systems....they sound that good...no joke.

Nick

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
Re:Computer Speaker Opinions
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 03:05:56 PM »
No doubt there are some computer speakers that are nice out there, but if the idea is to do audio work with them, then forget about it.

We make such a huge deal about our original recording, I'm surprised not more people own studio monitors for their audio work. However, as I stated before there will be a huge difference in sound between the Alesis $200 a pair monitors and Yamaha NS10 or Genelec 1030 monitors, but again the price is right and the Alesis monitors are fairly flat which is what near field monitors should be.

Anyhow, next time I'm near a computer superstore I'll check out the Klipsch speakers.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com