Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MME dropouts  (Read 8841 times)

Offline the yokel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
MME dropouts
« on: May 21, 2003, 05:17:31 AM »
Okay so i finally got around to updating my OS to XP pro & things are running a bit smoother; However, now in both SF-6 & Wavelabe 4 i'm getting like 3-4 consecutive clicks every 5-6 mins (which i'm assuming are dropouts).  I've deffragmented the drive then reinstalled the drivers & both programs but to no avail.  I'm runnin' a Dell Lattitude LS with a Pentium III 500mz processore & 128 RAM.  Anybody have similar problems or suggestions?  

Offline HydroPANIC

• Taperssection Regular
  • Casey Dawg Recordings
Re:MME dropouts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 08:45:55 AM »
Hello,

My first guess would be WinXP...  Everything I read states the Win 98se is the most stable OS for PC audio.

But on the other hand try this:

http://www.tascam.com/products/computer_recording/W2k_XP_Optimize.pdf

Good Luck
Live Long and Lucky,
MikeO

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 03:27:10 PM »
Could very well be.  My PC was crashing when trying to change the ASIO in wavelab on 98SE, that's why i upgraded my OS.  

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 03:45:50 PM »
Turn down graphics acceleration and see if that fixes the problem.  With older video cards, XP and the cards seem to not get along very well.

Daryan

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 10:23:05 AM »
Tried that, still having the same problem.  Thanks for the suggestions though.  K.

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 12:28:09 PM »
if it's every 5-6 minutes, it sounds like something running in the background.  virus scan, power management, etc.  once you optimize, you should be fine.  good luck with the Wavelab crashing thang, though.  ;)

~S

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 03:23:58 PM »
Well, i don't have any virus scanning programs on it right now & i'm runnin' off AC so my power management settings should be null.   Installing XP pro stopped the crashing issue i had with the ASIO in wavelab running 98SE, so the only problem now is the dropouts every few minutes.  What do you mean by optimize?

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 10:57:48 PM »
optomize for recording.  there are many apps running in the background which you are probably unaware of.  see Hydrpanics post above.  he's pointing you in the right direction.  ;)

~S

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 11:00:35 AM »
Turn off the many unneeded services running in thebackground. Like win2000 XP has a ton of useless crap running. All increasing traffic over the system bus. I'd say that this will solve your problem. It solved mine with the UA5 when I first got it.
Rob
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 03:31:57 PM »
if it's every 5-6 minutes, it sounds like something running in the background.  virus scan, power management, etc.  once you optimize, you should be fine.  good luck with the Wavelab crashing thang, though.  ;)

~S
I agree Scott.  
Try going to Start>run>MSConfig>Startup tab>uncheck programs like AOL or other programs that run in the background.
 It may help
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 02:52:34 AM »
Thanks guys for helpin' this clueless kid out.  I did the majority of the suggested changes in the tascam outline but was stilling having the same issue.  Looks like i just need to get more ram.  

Offline TALL

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 07:03:31 PM »
JeffK and I have been fighting similar issues with the USB out on the Mini Me for the last few months and have pretty much given up on it.  Personally I think it might have something to do with Apogee's Driver.  I've seen the ASIO driver crash/blue screen(like you mentioned) both Windows 2000 and XP pro and spike the levels in both Wavelab and Ntrack.  Its seems its a crap shoot if its going to work, and usually if it does you end up with the artifacts that you mention in your original post.  I fix software/OS problems in an enterprise enviroment all day long so I know windowz inside and out and this one leaves me scratching my head.  The only thing we never tried is buying a pcmcia USB 2.0 card(which I've been told has solved some issues with the usb mme) you could maybe try that  

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 02:27:40 AM »
Well it's been a while but just wanted to give an update to any folks that experience a similar problem in the future.  I tried all kinds of suggestions from you good folks & on the laptop forums but with little success to the origninal spiking problem.  So in a last ditch effort i took Brantley & Talls suggestions on trying a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card.  To my suprise this solved the problem.  I've run several test @ 24/48 & 16/48 & all are without audible problems.  So looks like the MME just didn't play nicely with my onboard USB.  On the plus side i've learned more 'bout setting up operating systems.  Thanks for the help folks.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 09:05:10 AM »
Congratulations.  I plan on starting to run 24 bit as soon as I get home to Iowa this fall!  Should be fun.  Glad everything worked out, and a +T@!

Daryan

Offline The Rev. Bigbill

• Taperssection Member
  • SEXY TIME
    • the hedgehog
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2003, 02:37:08 AM »
I've actually had much better luck with win2000 than xp or 98
This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude.Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com