Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where do you guys like to cut tracks?  (Read 5264 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Where do you guys like to cut tracks?
« on: December 29, 2003, 09:58:17 AM »
Just interested in general opinions here.  Song ends, you get some applause, maybe some general banter, maybe some tuning, maybe an intro to the next tune, a few hoots for the upcoming tune, and then it starts.

At what point in all that do you guys like to put the track markers?  If the tune is introduced, I'll usually put it before that, but sometimes I put it right before the tune starts, so I can go listen to the song right away w/o waiting through a minute or two of B.S.

Offline Swampy

• Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re:Where do you guys like to cut tracks?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 10:01:18 AM »
I usally put it right before it starts, I hate 30 seconds of banter before a song starts on a track...

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 10:03:21 AM »
I usally put it right before it starts, I hate 30 seconds of banter before a song starts on a track...

yep...I will track out the banter/tuning seperately if it lasts for more than a minute

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 10:22:33 AM »
Putting the marker just before the song starts is what I see most often too. Again, nobody likes to hear two minutes of crowd noise/banter before the song starts.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 10:38:18 AM »
Putting the marker just before the song starts is what I see most often too. Again, nobody likes to hear two minutes of crowd noise/banter before the song starts.

iagree!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 10:47:22 AM »
i agree--if you want to hear banter, you can listen to the end of the trak before the song..... i want to be able to skip right to the beginning of antelope.  I can't wait before I rock out..... :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

cpclark

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 10:57:52 AM »
banter goes at the end of the previous track, my rule of thumb is the banter gets cut inot its own track if its over a minute and a new track starts when the first not is played

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 11:09:19 AM »
Ahem!  :P  The Advanced Search feature on this board found the following results:

A previous discussion on segues and tracking.

There's also some good tracking discussion in this thread on how to get a show out.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 11:11:52 AM »
I may be in the minority here, but I hate banter tracked separately...I always leave it tagged onto the end of the track after the song. Even song intros like "Here's a tune from our new album" go at the end. I guess I just like my CDs matching up with the setlist and listen to shows for the music instead of the banter. I'll either drop my track markers at the first note or at the beginning of the countdown to the next track ("one, two, three, four" or drumstick clicks). Segues are harder, especially when they're jammed way out. I tend not to bite at the first tease of the new song in a jam but wait until the song's really beginning.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 02:27:27 PM »
I may be in the minority here, but I hate banter tracked separately...I always leave it tagged onto the end of the track after the song. Even song intros like "Here's a tune from our new album" go at the end. I guess I just like my CDs matching up with the setlist and listen to shows for the music instead of the banter. I'll either drop my track markers at the first note or at the beginning of the countdown to the next track ("one, two, three, four" or drumstick clicks). Segues are harder, especially when they're jammed way out. I tend not to bite at the first tease of the new song in a jam but wait until the song's really beginning.

I'm with you on not separating out the audience/banter. Some guys like to separate it out on the first track, so you can skip through it. I prefer to have six tracks tracked if there are six songs performed. moe.  :D
I also hate it when people cut out the audience between the last song and the encore. I like to hear it all, just as it went down. That's just me though.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

cpclark

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 02:41:58 PM »
its kind of annoying when you have to sit and listen through more than a minute and a half of banter, thats the only reason why i track if its fairly long, ohterwise it gets appended to the previous end of the track

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 04:14:28 PM »
I'm with you on not separating out the audience/banter. Some guys like to separate it out on the first track, so you can skip through it. I prefer to have six tracks tracked if there are six songs performed. moe.  :D
I also hate it when people cut out the audience between the last song and the encore. I like to hear it all, just as it went down. That's just me though.

Agreed...though I've been tempted on some REALLY long intros. I guess it's because I like listening to stuff all the way through and the intro helps get me into the concert so I don't mind listening to it. I always leave the encore break in too, though I cut one or two in the past when they were inordinately long and made me run over on an 80-minute disc. Now that DVD+-&*^%@#$-A (hehe) is becoming more affordable and I do more listening on my computer than anywhere else (blasphemy!), disc splits are becoming less and less important...

cpclark, I definitely dislike listening to 3-minute banter - that's why I tag it on the end of a track rather than tracking it by itself. That way when the music stops I can just skip to the next track and get my schwerve back on. :D
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2003, 10:47:11 PM »
Sometimes I'll cut out some of the audience between tracks if it's just a bunch of chatting and the band members aren't talking, just putzing around up on the stage. I usually will cut the audience after they are done cheering and grow silent to the point where the band is ready to start playing again. I've been known to aggressively cut audience chatter if I can get the show to fit on less CDs, but usually only shows that nobody else will ever listen to. If you cut the track where it is next to silent and start it back up where it is still silent you can't really hear the cut at all.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2003, 11:11:16 PM »
dipping into the afformentioned archives, i see we mostly agree that the banter/intros are at the end of the previous song.

jr
we all live downstream.

dancing with elihu

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 11:44:02 PM »
I'm strictly on the listening end, but I like to have crowd noise on the end of the track so, like others have mentioned, I can skip to the next song if need be. Also if the crowd noise is tracked separately because it's so long, I'm tempted to leave it out when burning to disc, but I feel bad about leaving it out since it was part of the show.

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 11:22:58 AM »
I like the jam intro of the song included in the track, but I try to put the banter, tuning on the end of a track. Please fade in and out the crowd before the Encore unless its a short pause, then leave it on the end of the last track. Only do an into crowd track if they are actually introducing the band.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 11:33:45 AM »
I like the jam intro of the song included in the track, but I try to put the banter, tuning on the end of a track.

I tried this for a while, but ran into difficult determining when exactly the previous song ended and the jam intro started.  Not always easy!  So I'm with Greenone on this one: I don't track the song into which the band has segued until the song really starts in full.

Please fade in and out the crowd before the Encore unless its a short pause, then leave it on the end of the last track.

Whatever for?  Guess you don't like the extended applause and energy of the crowd?  I can understand that, though don't feel the same way.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2004, 07:02:30 PM »
i usually start with the drum clicks as mentioned before.  if the singer talks through this intro, i'll usually start with the beginning of a sentance.

don't you all hate it when you have to track a show where you aren't familiar with the songs/artist?

jpschust

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2004, 07:34:39 PM »
im of the opinion there should never be more than 10-15 seconds of banter to start the show or end it.  if its just crowd noise delete it.  all banter and noise goes at the end of tracks unless its something like trey's jackass bonnaroo speech from a few years ago- that got its own track.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com