Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do You LISTEN to Your Tapes?  (Read 8476 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Do You LISTEN to Your Tapes?
« on: January 19, 2004, 03:52:36 PM »
How many of you actually go back and listen to your tapes after the first time or two when you first record/edit/acquire them?

Some people not only have big collections, but big collections from single artists playing similar sets over and over (of course some don't).

Do you listen to them, or just collect for the sake of collecting, or something else?

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re:Do You LISTEN to Your Tapes?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 03:59:21 PM »
i sure do alot of listening to my whole collection

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 04:00:56 PM »
i listen to almost every show i tape. especially the ones that get seeded to the net. however most of the concerts i download off of the internet i don't listen to all the way through before i end up archiving them to CD or HD. i figured that there will be a point in my life when i can convert all these shns and flacs faster than i download them all and it will be then that i can start enjoying ALL this music i have aquired ;D
Brian
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 04:05:06 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 04:08:39 PM »
I don't even own a stereo

okay seriously, yeah I listen as much as I possibly can. for now I still listen mostly to my DAT collection (~600 or so) because it is better organized and easier to just throw on and play than my shn/flac collection.

I've spent the better part of today organizing all of my shn/flac discs, perhaps now I'll be more likely to grab the data discs, burn off audio copies and give them a listen.

what I really need are some big ass harddrives, load em with my shns/flacs's, play from my soundcard digital in to my DAC and out to my stereo...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 04:09:21 PM »
No, I don't listen to any of them.  I just like the way the CDs look all piled up in neat columns after I transfer the tapes.  I spent thousands of dollars on my rig to create these nice columns of music that I will never listen to.  Its like a really expensive piece of conceptual art.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 04:10:59 PM »
for me, by the time i transfer from dat or look stuff ive been working on in the studio for 2-3 weeks (often times more) i like to just set it aside for a few months and then come back to it.  a lot of times its just a situation of overkill, but i love coming back to stuff i did and reflecting on how it all happened

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 04:11:42 PM »
I've got a 35 minute commute each way to work, so I burn CD-R's and listen in my car. I rarely listen to DAT's directly. I listen to DAT's only when doing the transfers.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 04:16:27 PM »
Its like a really expensive piece of conceptual art.

:lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

As I've upgraded my playback system, I've really enjoyed going back and listening to my recordings using different gear and identifying what I've learned about the different recording gear combos I've used, how my playback system impacts my listening, and of course, just plain enjoying some of the fine music.

I have stacks and stacks of downloaded/traded CDRs, all of which I've listened to at least once, but there are plenty which just plain aren't very special and I likely won't listen to again.  I keep them because I'm a pack-rat.  All of my own recordings are special in at least one way - because I recorded them and attended the concert - even if they're real stinkers!!  And even those I'll throw in on occasion to try to figure out why they were stinkers, what I could have done better, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 04:47:30 PM »
No, I don't listen to any of them.  I just like the way the CDs look all piled up in neat columns after I transfer the tapes.  I spent thousands of dollars on my rig to create these nice columns of music that I will never listen to.  Its like a really expensive piece of conceptual art.

[deep belly laugh}  +T
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 04:59:49 PM »
Someday when I'm an old man maybe I'll have time to actually sit down and really listen to music again, but for now the live experience will have to suffice.

cpclark

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 05:51:45 PM »
usually listen to the actual dat when i am transfering, because i dont have a home deck yet, but i do listen to them at least a couple of times on my HD before they get archived and deleted.  i actually try to keep every show on my laptop harddrive instead of the externals i have for at least two months before it hits the external HD and doesnt see much play, but every once in awhile, now the cd-r's get play all the time

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 06:46:16 PM »
I listen to my stuff everyday... Life would sure suck without music. I don't listen to all of the stuff I trade for, but do usually make a mix CD of good shows (which always gets scatched up.) I'll have to pull out some of my old 98 phish shows just too hear what they are like on my new soundcard it has twice the AD of a P1. Big hard drives are a must...
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 07:13:45 PM »
I listen to everything I tape...many, many times over...except for that damn Addison Groove Project first set I taped...that will never get listened to again

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 07:17:04 PM »

That's the sad truth for me, Tim. My whole collection sits unused.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 10:17:51 PM »

That's the sad truth for me, Tim. My whole collection sits unused.

*nudge nudge*

It's growing on you ...  :)
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com