Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help with distortion on recordings  (Read 1934 times)

Offline zguy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need help with distortion on recordings
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
Hi everybody - first of all let me say that I am not a hardcore taper. I just want to make a nice recording I can enjoy.
My setup is sp-bmc-3 > 9-volt battery box > either sharp MD or R09. I usually record fairly loud shows in small rooms. When there is a lot of bass reverberation (meaning you can feel it in every bone in your body) I end up with distortion in that area. It gets kind of annoying and I'm guessing that these mics just aren't sufficient for this task. I would be willing to upgrade to different mics but if they have the same issues then it wouldn't be worth it. Are there mics that are designed for this kind of application?
Would really appreciate any thoughts or advice on the subject.

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Need help with distortion on recordings
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »
Are you using the line input?  What is the range that your levels are set at?
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline zguy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »
Yes, always the line input. I try to keep the levels peaking around -6 db. I can normalize/amplify after transferring to a computer. Even when the levels are at -12 it hasn't helped.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:45:18 PM »
Those SP mics may need a low-sensitivity mod... I would ask SP.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
Distortion can be caused by your settings being too high which overloads the internal preamp on your recorder, but it can also be caused by overloading the mics.  If you check the specs for this mic, the standard sensitivity version of this mic is rated only up to 105db which isn't all that high for loud rock music.  I can't really tell you what the bass volume goes up to during a typical loud rock show, but the specs on the low sensitivity versions of this mic go up to 120db, which would help your cause.  So, I agree with acidjack that would be a potential solution to your problem.  That said, 120db isn't the greatest upper range either...I typically like my mics to be able to go up to the 135db range, but I'm not sure this is available in a mic that's <$100 (not saying it isn't, I just don't know).

Give SP a call and see if they can mod your mics to match the specs for the low sensitivity version, or tell them specifically what you want to record and they should be able to recommend a reasonable solution to you.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:09:14 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:44:14 PM »
you may want to try flipping on the low-cut on your r-09 as well
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline zguy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 05:02:41 AM »
Thanks for all the responses!

Yes, 105 db isn't very loud. I'm sure even 120 db is surpassed during the louder moments. Although I usually have no problems - it's mainly occurs at a couple of clubs in particular. Anyway it looks like a low sensitivity version is superior if it can retain fidelity at higher db.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com