Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Question  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Youneverno41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • What it's all about
Taping Question
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:37:16 PM »
Alright you guys are probably gonna call me stupid, but here it goes.  Is it possible to run your mics to a simple recording system?  For example, i have a Korg D1200mkII 12-Track Digital Recorder and the MXL 990/991 Recording Mics, and i use my mic stand to tape me and my friend jam and it seems to sound fine.  Could you use this to tape actual shows?
-Mike
DC4squarem3@yahoo.com
The 18-year old Taper
Shure KSM109s> Canare Starquads >BM2p+mod UA5> JB3(svu-1)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Taping Question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 05:42:31 PM »
First of all, we aren't going to kill you!

If you can find a way to power your Korg system at a show, then go for it.  You'll have to find a venue that is okay with you using their wall power, and extension cords, etc. 

Good Luck.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Youneverno41

• Taperssection Member
  • What it's all about
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 06:00:02 PM »
yeah i figured that would be my only problem because that thing (and any other recorder) eats up power.  Has anyone done this type of recording in the past and would have any advice for using power at a venure?
-Mike
DC4squarem3@yahoo.com
The 18-year old Taper

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 01:44:26 PM »
yeah i figured that would be my only problem because that thing (and any other recorder) eats up power. Has anyone done this type of recording in the past and would have any advice for using power at a venure?

For a bigger act, it is probably out of the question.  For a smaller act, it may be possible (although difficult) and the best route is probably to either a.) befriend the sound guy at the club or  b.) contact the band and see if they can arrange it for you.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect to get this kind of permission from a band or sound guy very often.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 03:07:06 PM »
yeah i figured that would be my only problem because that thing (and any other recorder) eats up power.  Has anyone done this type of recording in the past and would have any advice for using power at a venure?

Thats the only kind I do...my rig is (at the moment) AC dependent...

You will have to be the judge on that one...take inventory of where you might record and check it out...

I always tape in bars and clubs that I'm familiar with - so power is never an issue...

The best advice...dont ask, dont tell. Most venues - you can find a outlet somewhere...(not always in ideal places...)
If you want to use power that's part of the mix system...well, then you might have to ask...

Last summer I got AC power at:

State Theater - Falls Church VA
The Norva - Norfolk VA (this wasn't easy!)
The Canal Club - Richmond

Dont count on it - but it can be done...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 03:09:32 PM by corkscrew »

Offline Youneverno41

• Taperssection Member
  • What it's all about
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 09:38:17 PM »
thanks guys!! I've just been so eager to tape a show i guess this was the first idea that came to mind.  Thanks for the tips
-Mike
DC4squarem3@yahoo.com
The 18-year old Taper

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 10:42:04 PM »
before i had jb3, i had a laptop with no valence battery...I had to use ac from the club....I always talked to the venue before hand..never had a problem....if its a small place...just talk to them...bring your own extension cord..and lots of tape to hide it!! 

good luck
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com