Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: please help a newbie  (Read 3100 times)

Offline zeus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
please help a newbie
« on: April 07, 2007, 09:53:05 PM »
Hi all experts!

I need help.  I want to record a live concert in less then a week and i would really like your help in exactly what I need to buy.  It will be of my favourite singer but she is older and doesn't play at large venues anymore. I won't have a problem sneaking small equipment in.   I want to record it for my own purposes-not to sell or trade or anything.  Just to keep for my own enjoyment to relive the concert over and over.  I don't know how many more times she's going to perform live.  Ok enough on that. I really need to know what to buy.  It will have to be hidden for the most part so i know that will hinder the quality.  But as long as it's decent, I don't care.  This is like a one shot deal so it's not like I will go into business or anything.  Please help a newbie.  i was told this is where to go to get answers. Also, I'm in Canada but have access to US stores. So can you also be so kind as to tell me where i can purchase the stuff in such a short time frame?  I really appreciate everything.  If you've answered these questions 50 billion times, i apoligize.  My budget is a couple hundred dollars if that helps.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:04:42 PM by zeus »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: please help a newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
Less than a week is optimistic.  But...let's get started.

Budget?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »
people have been talking up Chris Church, and his stealth mics.  I've never used them, so I can't comment on them.  Check out is post here   For a recorder, there's a lot of choices.  You can probably go and pick up a minidisc recorder at your local big-box electronics store, or a m-audio microtracker at guitar center if you've got one near you.  There are at least a couple recorders in the yard sale (including one of mine) that, if you let the seller know ahead of time, could definitely get to you before Friday.

Offline zeus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »
i can't believe how cool you guys are-you've already replied.  i know it's short notice. sorry.  I would need the equipment by thursday since i have to travel to the venue.  I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars which might not be a lot for this kind of thing. so, as i read, i'll need a separate mic, right?  Please reply like i'm a 10 year old since i am so new to the lingo.. :D

Roving Sign

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 10:20:17 PM »
I'm thinking it might be easiest to use an "all-in-one" recorder like the Edirol R9 or Zoom H4...

Any possibility someone else might be recording this artist?

Offline zeus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
I'm thinking it might be easiest to use an "all-in-one" recorder like the Edirol R9 or Zoom H4...

No, I don't think anyone will be recording this artist.  Between the 2 that you listed above, which one would you recommend?  And are they small enough to fit into a purse?  Also, is it easy to download the music from them onto a computer or a CD?

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »
What city is the show in?  You might be able to convice someone on the board to show up and tape it for you.  Try posting to the local team board.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline zeus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »
What city is the show in?  You might be able to convice someone on the board to show up and tape it for you.  Try posting to the local team board.
It's in Toronto.  Where would i post to the local team board?

Offline keyclick

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Myspace Music  page
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 08:42:01 PM »

No, I don't think anyone will be recording this artist.  Between the 2 that you listed above, which one would you recommend?  And are they small enough to fit into a purse?  Also, is it easy to download the music from them onto a computer or a CD?

I'm a newbie, too, but here's what I know:

I just got a Edirol R-09 which someone mentioned. It is literally exactly the same size as a cassette tape, or a cigarette pack. (Just a bit thicker, though) It has two built-in mics which are really pretty good. I just bought a cellphone case that fits it exactly, and has a leather flap that closes it with velcro, and the two little speakers stick out the side slightly. And the case has a belt clip. You'd want to some how  cover the mics if it was going to be searched, then uncover them before you record (!)

If its like a bar or dinner theater, you could literally set it on the table in front of you in the case I described, with the mics pointing forward and get a decent recording.

In response to your other question, it uses SD (secure digital) flash cards. (postage stamp sized memory chips) Buy a 2 gig card to start from any PC or office supply store for like 30 dollars, it will record several hours of better than CD quality! And it comes with a USB cable, so if you plug it into a PC, it shows up as a 'drive' so you can just drag and drop your files onto your hard drive with zero effort. Or you can buy a USB 'reader' that has slots for the flash card you plug in. Simple.

The Zoom H4, is pretty similar. Its a little bigger, but has the unfortunate side effect of looking very much like a TASER! the mics are mounted on the top, pointin at an angle, with metal wire cage protecting it. So if you are a woman (I think you said) you have a choice between pretending to have a cellphone or a taser :-)

I paid $328 US for my R-09 new on ebay, they list for $399. The Zoom H4 street price is $299, I think the electronics in the R-09 are more professional. Either one could be bought with Buy It Now on ebay and shipped overnight, or all of the music supply stores (musiciansfriend, sam ash, sweetwater, etc, and even amazon .com have them readily available. You might even find them in an office supply store with the 'digital voice recorders'

Good luck!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 08:59:15 PM »
you could use one of these if you didn't want to invest much...the sound quality is fair if the performance is neither too loud nor too quiet...and it runs off a AA battery....i've used one with an MD with fair results.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 09:22:21 PM »

It's in Toronto.  Where would i post to the local team board?

Team Canada, in the Team Boards Section on the bottom of the home page.  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,55681.msg1070883.html#msg1070883
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com