Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 122590 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #300 on: September 29, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
I recommend LOCTITE for locking threads on adapters. Here's a breakdown of their color/strengths: http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/Loctite-Threadlockers-by-Color-14023.htm

I use red for the stuff I know I'll never need to break apart and blue or purple for stuff I may need to break loose at some point.

^ My very first experience with Loctite was after reading a tip here, I believe from you, about using an eye bolt into the threaded hole on a SuperClamp as an attachment point for safety cables.  I went to the hardware store with a SuperClamp in hand, and asked the guy if he could cut down some eye bolts for me, and why.  I got a couple, as I often use two clamps for spaced omnis, and the guy said, "You should add some Loctite; it will prevent the bolt from loosening and make your safety system more secure."  Sounded good to me.  He applied some red and sold me the rest of the bottle.  Needless to say, I now have a SuperClamp with a permanently attached eye bolt...

We use a lot of Loctite Red at work for securing stainless bolts in drilled/tapped holes in aluminum parts.  I warn customers not to try and remove these bolts by brute force, as they will often end up shearing the bolt off before the thread-locking compound gives way.  It is then near-impossible to successfully extract the remainder of the stainless bolt from the softer aluminum without destroying the part.

The key to successful disassembly of parts secured with Loctite Red is to heat the area (if even just the head of the bolt if heat would damage the finish of the threaded base material) with something like a propane torch prior to applying torque to remove the fastener.  The heat breaks down the thread-locking compound allowing the bolt to be loosened with far less torque.

We use Red because these applications are subjected to repeated reciprocal motion which would otherwise loosen the bolt over time and there is no other good way to mechanically lock the bolts in place securely.  Best to use the less aggressive formulations for assemblies which will need to be disassembled at some point, which should be entirely sufficient for most applications except those subjected to on-going repeated reciprocal motion or extreme vibration.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2017, 08:19:39 PM »
How wide do you need the jaws to open?

A Joby Gorillapod isn't a clamp but comes in sizes to support most cameras. A small one would easily support an iPhone.

Pedco makes a couple of small table top tripods; the mini size has a velcro wrap for placing it on poles or fencing.

It varies, but the largest bars I clamp onto are close to the limit of the SuperClamp, about 2" diameter.

I used to use a Joby VideoPod for this (smaller version with magnetic feet and pan head) but one of the ball & socket joints let go.  Maybe I'll look into one of the full-size Gorillapods that should be more robust.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #302 on: September 29, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
I recommend LOCTITE for locking threads on adapters. Here's a breakdown of their color/strengths: http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/Loctite-Threadlockers-by-Color-14023.htm

I use red for the stuff I know I'll never need to break apart and blue or purple for stuff I may need to break loose at some point.

^ My very first experience with Loctite was after reading a tip here, I believe from you, about using an eye bolt into the threaded hole on a SuperClamp as an attachment point for safety cables.  I went to the hardware store with a SuperClamp in hand, and asked the guy if he could cut down some eye bolts for me, and why.  I got a couple, as I often use two clamps for spaced omnis, and the guy said, "You should add some Loctite; it will prevent the bolt from loosening and make your safety system more secure."  Sounded good to me.  He applied some red and sold me the rest of the bottle.  Needless to say, I now have a SuperClamp with a permanently attached eye bolt...

We use a lot of Loctite Red at work for securing stainless bolts in drilled/tapped holes in aluminum parts.  I warn customers not to try and remove these bolts by brute force, as they will often end up shearing the bolt off before the thread-locking compound gives way.  It is then near-impossible to successfully extract the remainder of the stainless bolt from the softer aluminum without destroying the part.

The key to successful disassembly of parts secured with Loctite Red is to heat the area (if even just the head of the bolt if heat would damage the finish of the threaded base material) with something like a propane torch prior to applying torque to remove the fastener.  The heat breaks down the thread-locking compound allowing the bolt to be loosened with far less torque.

We use Red because these applications are subjected to repeated reciprocal motion which would otherwise loosen the bolt over time and there is no other good way to mechanically lock the bolts in place securely.  Best to use the less aggressive formulations for assemblies which will need to be disassembled at some point, which should be entirely sufficient for most applications except those subjected to on-going repeated reciprocal motion or extreme vibration.

Hey, Gut. Where does superglue AKA cyanoacrylate fall on this spectrum?  Any idea?

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #303 on: October 05, 2017, 06:51:03 AM »
^^^ Thanks, Gutbucket!  That's very useful information, as I still have that bottle of Red but have been hesitant to use it due to it's strength.  Maybe I will want to remove that eye bolt at some point, too!

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #304 on: March 05, 2018, 12:25:11 AM »
Over the years I've seen quite a few folks ask about a replacement stud for the WindTech clamp that so many of us use.

Good news! I finally found out that WindTech does indeed offer just the stud. Just Google WindTech M-21.

http://www.windtech.tv/Adapters.php <-it's at the very bottom of the page...

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #305 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:59 AM »
Over the years I've seen quite a few folks ask about a replacement stud for the WindTech clamp that so many of us use.

Good news! I finally found out that WindTech does indeed offer just the stud. Just Google WindTech M-21.

They have been so hard to find that I thought about manufacturing them a few years ago - I bet a lot of folks have studless Windtech C clamps out there...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #306 on: March 05, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
Not enough good can be said; Manfrotto Mini-Clamp

In constant use. My Superclamp, not so much.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #307 on: March 05, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
I’m looking for a clamp that will allow me to attach a DR-40 to the middle of (someone else’s) rig while also allowing it to lie flat and keep the internal mics on the same horizontal plane. DR-40 has standard 1/4” threads. Saw some clamps that looked good but wouldn’t allow for the recorder to lie flat. Anyone have input?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline mnm207

• Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2018, 09:01:02 AM »
I’m looking for a clamp that will allow me to attach a DR-40 to the middle of (someone else’s) rig while also allowing it to lie flat and keep the internal mics on the same horizontal plane. DR-40 has standard 1/4” threads. Saw some clamps that looked good but wouldn’t allow for the recorder to lie flat. Anyone have input?

You might look at something like these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/904449-REG/High_Sierra_M2_Clampette.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/560799-REG/Ultrapod_PD04020_UltraClamp_Aluminum_Support_Clamp.html Also available with a mini articulating arm.

The Manfrotto Mini-Clamp linked to in the post above yours is also a good bet.

All three should mount well enough to a rig based on square, round or flat bars.

My experience with the three clamps above is for holding lights and cameras. They'd do just fine holding a DR40 and wouldn't add much weight to a rig.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #309 on: March 06, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »

Thanks for this link Tim.  A lot of great stuff here, even the painter-pole adapter, what a great idea.

I thought they would have what I was looking for.....but nope.

I can't find a 5/8" stud spigot adapter for the Windtech clamp.

Is there such an animal?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:46:52 AM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #310 on: March 06, 2018, 11:17:09 AM »

This combo will work:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824360-REG/impact_cc_106r_super_clamp_with_ratchet.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/850307-REG/impact_bhe_106_ext_arm_6_with.html/pageID/accessory

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #311 on: March 06, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »

Thanks for this link Tim.  A lot of great stuff here, even the painter-pole adapter, what a great idea.

I thought they would have what I was looking for.....but nope.

I can't find a 5/8" stud spigot adapter for the Windtech clamp.

Is there such an animal?
That stud IS on their site. but no link provided- Scroll ALL the Way DOWN and on the Right IS:
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
Sorry for the confusion...I'm not looking for a 5/8"-27 threaded end.

A standard 5/8" spigot, with or without a 1/4"-20 stud on top >>>> 0.45" Spigot to fit into the Windtech clamp's 0.47" holes....I haven't been able to find.

Like this, but to fit into a Windtech clamp.

https://tinyurl.com/y82fr5n7

Easy part to make on a lathe.  Does anyone here turn parts?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:27:28 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #313 on: March 06, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
Sorry for the confusion...I'm not looking for a 5/8"-27 threaded end.

A standard 5/8" spigot, with or without a 1/4"-20 stud on top >>>> 0.45" Spigot to fit into the Windtech clamp's 0.47" holes....I haven't been able to find.

Like this, but to fit into a Windtech clamp.

https://tinyurl.com/y82fr5n7

Easy part to make on a lathe.  Does anyone here turn parts?
Ah. Sorry to add to confusion! That e-bay listing does look like a useful adapter. I recently picked up a bunch of Manfrotto adapters from B&H- maybe peruse their accessory pages: (I know some do not like B&H-any of those parts should be locatable on other sites.)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Thread-Adapters-Fittings/ci/14722/N/3681064844
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Adapters-Brackets/ci/15906/N/4232861030
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »

This could work nicely, assuming the spring-clamp and articulated arm can support the weight of a DR-40.  Designed for cameras so it should.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887899-REG/Dinkum_3006_Action_Pod.html
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.29 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com