Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack II or Tascam DR-07  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Microtrack II or Tascam DR-07
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »
I am with the following dilemma: B&H are the only ones that can deliver these recorders to my city (Rio de Janeiro).

Shipping is more or less the same, and with their lower price on the MT II the difference between them two is around $50.

Is the MT II a better machine than the DR-07 to justify the difference?

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack II or Tascam DR-07
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
I have both...and to answer your question, would all depend on how you plan on using it.  What kind of mics?  Preamp?  Open/stealth?  What functions are you most looking for?
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:08:07 PM »
If using with an separate A/D converter, go with the MTII since it has the digital input.  If you want to go line-in from an analog source (i.e. preamp), go with the DR07.  If you're using the mic input - I can't tell you which one is better.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »
What will I be using this unit for:

1) Recording interviews for a research I am doing, in MP3 and a single lapel mic to pick the voice. In that sense the Tascam is more practical because it has its own mics, but I would never be using them for a "quality recording". So I don't mind the MT has none.

2) Recording double-system location sync audio. On that the MT II offers me potentially better capability, as it can record 24/96.

The attractive things in the Tascam were its smaller size and lower price mostly, but I think the MT II has better specs. What I don't know is which is more practical and reliable to use on the field.

Craig, why do you say the line-in would be better on the DR07? The S/N specs are pretty poor. But in fact I would be using this unit with analog sources, always. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com