Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to boost voices over orchestra?  (Read 3292 times)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
How to boost voices over orchestra?
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
A WAV file of a staged opera with an orchestra pit, recorded from the audience - the orchestra covers the singers. Is there a software that can be taught to identify the voices and boost them alone, making them louder than the orchestra? I don't mean dynamic compression or use of a dynamic equalizer that works on identifying frequency bands - is there a software that can learn to identify sounds (in this case the human voice) based on variables other than frequency range and loudness?

Noam

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Re: How to boost voices over orchestra?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
To my knowledge there's nothing that would do this.

Marshall7

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »
I'm going to say "no" as well.  Would be cool, though. :)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »
If this could be fixed by software, it would do a lot to solve mic placement problems, but fact remains that the loudest source at the mics still wins. 

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
The short answer is no, not really.  The human voice is just way too complex to simply boost like that, especially with and orchestra covering most likely all those same frequencies.  There are people that do that type of work for a living, but it is as much a scientific experiment as anything else.  Definitely not a "click of a button" type situation

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:24:53 PM »
This can be useful for spying, to tease apart the voice of someone under surveillance from background noise. I think I've seen it in movies.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
iZotope's response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in iZotope!

We do not really have any kind of tool that can do this. Unfortunately, the best way to do this would be to get the original multitrack recording (if available) and remix it. To my knowledge, there are no tools on the market that can do this very well currently.

While we do have products that can remove noise from music or vice versa, separating singers from orchestra is much more difficulty as they are both "tonal" sounds and take up similar frequencies.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Sincerely,
Michael

iZotope, Inc.
http://www.izotope.com/

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
Your best bet is careful equalization to subtly emphasize the formants of the vocals, making the enunciation clearer.  Try mid-Q boosts centered around 1 to 4 kHz.  You will be limited in how much you can do by the tonal effect this will also have on the music, but there is probably room there for a bit of emphasis.  Sometimes a sort of "W" shaped EQ curve that also boosts the extreme highs and lows as well as the midrange will help the music parts sound more tonally correct by partly off-setting the midrange vocal emphasis.

Or enlist the old-skool analog vocal extraction and enhancement services of Gene Hackman-

From The Conversation, an excellent film by Francis Ford Coppola, 1974.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »

Excellent flick, indeed.  I probably haven't watched it in a decade or two.  This just might be a fine time to break it out!  Thanks for the reminder, Gut.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »
Despite your email from iZotope, I think it might be worth playing around with the Spectral Repair tool in RX.  It's pretty amazing what it can do, and while I don't think it will get you what you are looking for exactly, it could possibly allow you to select part of the vocal, extract that as a new item and process it and then play that separate item alongside the original.  Kind of like the idea behind parallel compression.  This is likely to be highly tedious for anything but a short excerpt though.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »

Excellent flick, indeed.  I probably haven't watched it in a decade or two.  This just might be a fine time to break it out!  Thanks for the reminder, Gut.

It's on Netflix, or at least was as of a couple weeks ago.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com