Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Extreme budget recorder wanted - advice?  (Read 7175 times)

Offline theSeekerr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Extreme budget recorder wanted - advice?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 02:18:06 AM »
So can anyone comment on the sound quality of these original Nomad Jukebox's? Sounds like it could be a good option given my budget.

Oh, and in my case, I'd want to do the conversion from HDD to flash because I've had two HDD's fail on me just outside the warranty period on new players, and I don't trust my luck to not kill the HDD in an old one. Compactflash is cheap, anyhows.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 07:01:19 AM »
the sound quality running analog in is "eh" ... at best.
if you can use some sort of external preamp and not use the decks gain structure, you'll be ok.

the iRiver sounds better.  Same price for the most part...why would you go JB3 over that?

Offline theSeekerr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
I'd love to go for the iRiver, but they're as rare as hens teeth here in Australia, and quite expensive by the time they've been shipped from the USA....and they go for about $180-$220 AUD, which is right on the outside of my budget. And they're HDD based, which I've mentioned a few times now is a definite downside. The Nomads at least can have the harddrives swapped quite easily.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 10:06:42 AM »
Aaaahhh..., down under.  I can understand.
well, go w/whats available.  worst case, sell it back to ts.com
:)

or, just wait for an iriver to pop up for sale here.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »
At any rate: I have microphones, I have preamps, battery boxes, etc, etc, etc. All I need is something portable to record to. Preferably, I would like a flash based MP3 player that has a decent line in recording ability (flash based is important, becos my last two have been lost to HDD failure), simply because I need a new MP3 player too, and getting the cash for both would be far easier if they were one and the same. And preferably it would be reasonably cheap. And available in Australia. Other alternatives I would accept include MD or Hi-MD, but only at a cost <$150

I don't think you can get anything flash based out of the box (that can record lossless) for less than $150.

But since you mentioned HI-MD, you can find units on Ebay, selling for less than US$80, in Australia:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320143227145

Read more about different models here:
http://www.minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html

Perhaps that's the best for your budget, if you're dead set against HD-based.
But personally I'd get a JB3, or save some money and get a H120. Frequent backups after each gig is the key.

BTW, JB3s can be had for around US$110 incl shipping to Australia too, if you look around! A better deal than going Hi-MD, unless you're concerned about stealthing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120147842867

Good luck!

/Jan
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:37:14 PM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline theSeekerr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 05:19:21 PM »
A big thanks to junonato, who sold me a Net-MD (yes, I know, no digital transfers, no PCM, shorter recordings...doesn't worry me in a first half-decent recorder) for $25 USD. Hi-MD still woulda been over twice the cost after shipping - this way, I can spend the rest of my money on other bits and pieces (like a decent sound card to drive my rig back here....at the moment, that's a decided weak link.)

Actually, to hijack my own thread - are there any decent budget USB/Firewire sound cards for <~$100 USD?

Offline junonato

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 05:43:24 PM »
in the mail today, by the way, customs declaration says a gift worth ten bucks!

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
this way, I can spend the rest of my money on other bits and pieces (like a decent sound card to drive my rig back here....at the moment, that's a decided weak link.)

Actually, to hijack my own thread - are there any decent budget USB/Firewire sound cards for <~$100 USD?
m-audio comes to mind right off.
 m-audio audiophile, while last I heard it was a MSRP of 250$ I have heard of them being bought for 140~ I found a few places that is selling it around 130 actually but they are in the states..
Why does the sound card need to be USB? for a laptop?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline theSeekerr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »
Hmm. That's a little high.

Doesn't really need to be external, just that I like the idea of having everything analogue away from the EM in the case.

I don't need anything flash - no need for surround outputs, no need for any processing gizmo's....just a nice clean line in and a nice clean line out.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com