Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Quick 4.7K Mod Q (With Photos)

(1/2) > >>

JonG:
I received a pair of ATu853 mics from a friend to add the 4.7K resistors to. Apparently these were originally terminated as mini XLR, though I don't know where they were purchased from. Upon cutting away a section of the sleeving and looking at the plug, I'm presented with the following from each capsule:

Shield
Two yellow wires, both going to ground
Two red wires both going to either tip or ring (One of these looks semitransparent for the left channel, but both appear solid on the right)

I want to be sure of what I do, because I was expecting either two or three single wires, each a different colour. Is the mod able to be performed on these 853s in particular? Thanks for any help!

darktrain:
the red wires will go to the left and right channels, the yellow will have the resistor between them and the ground/body and of course ground to body and nearly impossible to get them inside the small neutrik plug, i always have used the switchcraft plugs, solid and have just enough room so you can do the mod in the plug body(i believe this diagram is from church)

JonG:
I have the diagram, but that shows the resistor between one yellow wire and connecting to another that's already going to ground, and only three wires, where as I have two pairs.

As the ones I have are now, do I simply insert a resistor between the yellow wires and ground? Does each wire get its own resistor, or is it one resistor per pair of wires?

darktrain:

--- Quote from: JonG on May 12, 2012, 02:15:55 PM ---I have the diagram, but that shows the resistor between one yellow wire and connecting to another that's already going to ground, and only three wires, where as I have two pairs.

As the ones I have are now, do I simply insert a resistor between the yellow wires and ground? Does each wire get its own resistor, or is it one resistor per pair of wires?

--- End quote ---

AT's are in pairs(just not shown that way), so one resistor for each pair, 2 resistors total, one for each channel, i have done a bunch of these if you dont want to tackle it

JonG:
Gotcha, I wasn't aware. Like I said, these aren't mine. I've already got the resistors, I just wanted to be sure about what to solder.

Thanks darktrain!

Edit-
In case anyone that searches wonders, that's indeed all you have to do. Worked like it's supposed to!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version