Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2  (Read 81382 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2008, 10:09:05 AM »
I just picked up the tamron 18-270, not really a pro lens by any means, but I wanted something for vacations and trail riding.  I haven't had the chance to get anything more than snapshots, but I'm going out this weekend.  Guess this will be my test run.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »
these are from my hike yesterday in Indian Peaks Wilderness from the west side of Flagstaff Mt.  I'm loving Colorado for the endless beauty to shoot.

Love that second shot with the moon! Very nice  ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »
<1>  upgrading it

I shoot my nieces a lot, both indoors and out.  In addition to IQ, I especially appreciate a reasonably fast lens since the kids are mobile and the light isn't always great.  I'm not familiar with the Canon lineup, but am thinking something along the lines of an 18-55 or thereabouts, with fixed f/2.8.  In addition, I'd probably sell the 18-55 and replace it with an inexpensive (~$100) tele zoom.  Best of both worlds, I think:  better IQ and faster lens for the focal length she uses most + the option to play around with a tele zoom.  If it turns out she loves the tele zoom, you can always upgrade it later.  But I figure why spend big money on a tele zoom she may or may not use much.

The more I have talked to her, I think that this is the best step to take...upgrading the kit lens in this range.  The lens that a buddy recommended is

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

I am guessing that this is the lens that you have cgrooves?  Based on my friends experience he found it to be a great walking around lens and a significant upgrade to the kit lens, which is probably the best bet for the wife given her current photo subjects...

stevetoney

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
I just got the Canon 17-40 f4.0L delivered last week.  I was strongly considering this lens that you have linked because it's an f-stop faster and is also highly rated.  I ended up choosing the Canon L-series lens which I'm really happy with, but I think I'd have been equally happy with the Tamron, especially in lower light situations.  I can confirm that this zoom range is REALLY nice.  I haven't taken the lens off my camera yet and so far I'm really loving the range that it offers.

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »
Nice shots!
Film or dig... if so, what film?
Digital

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

I am guessing that this is the lens that you have cgrooves?  Based on my friends experience he found it to be a great walking around lens and a significant upgrade to the kit lens, which is probably the best bet for the wife given her current photo subjects...

Yes, that is the lens used in that first pic in my last post.  It stays on my camera body probably 90% of the time.  The motor is a little louder than the canon, and it sometimes hunts for focus in really low light a little longer than desired (if you set it to spot focus it improves), but it takes great shots.  The lens has gotten great reviews, and is a great value. 
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »
thanks guys...now where to buy it...anyone use tristate or sigma4less retailers?  I am probalby going to go with B&H, but if I can get it for $50 cheaper from a reputable retailer, I would consider it.  Both of these show up on the fredmiranda site...also if anyone has any other recomendations for retailers, would be interested as well...

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »
I have purchased several lenses from tristate.. they list almost everything on ebay using "Buy it Now" and will list something for you if need be - taking the extra 25-30% off with cashback makes it hard for B&H to compete. They get most of their bad reputation from trying to pile on worthless accessories for terrible prices.. but - when you use ebay and buy it now - that's a moot point.

Jeff
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 02:06:10 PM »
I've bought lenses from sigma4less before with no problems, that was a few years ago though.  You also might want to try www.pricegrabber.com, might find something on there for cheap, and all the sites they link to are reviewed, so you can see what you're getting into.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »
quick and dirty, from my vacation last month in Virginia.  This is looking off Lover's Leap coming out of the Virginial Highlands.  The view was amazing.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »
lots of rain and snow lately which means the rivers are high around here.  Good day to go out shooting, especially with the overcast sky.  Here are a few from today.  Real quick in cs3, minimal processing.  All from my sigma 24-70 ex dg f2.8 on my 5d.

oh, and which is your favorite of the series.  Curious to hear what you have to say.

stevetoney

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2008, 06:50:33 PM »
Hard to pick a favorite, Jon, but I'll go with the vertical shot.  I like both the composition with lace both near and far. 

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2008, 07:27:01 PM »
lots of rain and snow lately which means the rivers are high around here.  Good day to go out shooting, especially with the overcast sky.  Here are a few from today.  Real quick in cs3, minimal processing.  All from my sigma 24-70 ex dg f2.8 on my 5d.

oh, and which is your favorite of the series.  Curious to hear what you have to say.

I dig the last one..  I like the void of still water up top, then the blur of the active water below..  kinda like a contrast of situations.   still water/moving water
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

stirinthesauce

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2008, 07:31:37 PM »
 ;D

I like both of those 2.  Think the vertical one I will frame and put in one of my galleries.  That bottom one is going I believe on my wall in a 24x18 frame.  No matting.  The spot I have picked needs a horizontal frame, not a vertical. 

Thank you for the feedback.

Oh, I want a 5dII  >:D
and more L glass  >:D >:D
and more and more   >:D >:D >:D

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 10:55:02 AM »
Nice shots, Jon!
I like 4 & 2 the best, in that order.

Here's a couple of recent shots from Orlando.

AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2008, 02:14:27 PM »
This thread is always so much fun to check in on.  Haven't been around in a wee while - been too busy shooting pictures!  Upgraded to an xsi which I LOVE (and have listed my old XT body in the yard sale in case anybody's interested).

Here's a recent couple of shots - some ice taking on Thanksgiving, and also starting to mess around with "studio" lighting (although my "studio" consists of a couple of worklamps from Lowes and some dollar store foamboard reflectors!

DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com