Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2  (Read 82203 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »
Nice shots everyone...

OK, my turn. 

Here are some family and pet shots.  I chose these to share just because I like the shots.  I think it's pretty difficult to get good shots of people and also animals, so I'm pretty pleased with all of these.  The boys are my nephews and the guy is my Irish brother-in-law John.  (To put this thread on subject with a music oriented list, John is good friends with Larry Mullen Jr, U2's drummer, since they knew each other in primary school.  Whenever U2 tours John gets free tix and backstage passes for any show John wants to show up at!!!  The bastard!) 

These were all taken at Thanksgiving.  The cats are my sister-in-laws two cats. 

The dog is my beloved cocker spaniel, Rudy.  He's the best dog I've ever had in my life.  He has a perfect personality, is a fantastic companion to both my wife and me, and he's constantly happy and cheerful.  For this particular shot, he still wasn't up from an afternoon nap and I think he was probably wondering WTF I was doing sticking that camera in his face during naptime!  LOL. 

All shots were taken with my Canon 40D and the 70-300 lens, except the shot of the dog, which was with my new 17-40L and the gray cat which was the 50 f1.8.  The cat shots were taken with 430EX Speedlite flash unit set to bounce from the ceiling.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »
I love that last one, Tony!

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2008, 11:49:05 PM »
The spaniel is so cute! Great shots, all.

gotta love the 50mm 1.8 - both of those last shots of mine were taken with it. These days, it's the lens that lives on my camera because it's ALWAYS the one I go to first. I really want the 1.4, but until I have the $, the 1.8 will do nicely...!
DPA4060
R09

stevetoney

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2008, 02:16:34 AM »
^  Unbelievably, Rudy was a rescue dog.  We adopted him from the Annopolis, MD humane society 4 years ago when he was three.  It's a bit unusual to find a pure breed in the pound, but we think that the previous owners were probably young, had babies, generally didn't know how to rear a dog, and just had no time for Rudy.  Even though he wasn't a physically abused dog, it was obvious he'd been neglected socially and probably yelled at alot, and we think probably just penned up for his first three years.  So, when we got him he was very shy and timid, tended to cower a bit, but showed plenty of signs of being the happy and compliant dog that he is.  It took us a year to get him acclimated and to really trust us, and probably another year for him to eliminate all of the timidity.  But now he's just a completely adjusted, happy-go-lucky lazy well adjusted cocker!  He's just the perfect faithful dog and we both love him to no end!

We'd adopted dogs from the humane society in the past, but getting Rudy REALLY enhanced our view of this organization and now that we're a little older, we've been contributing more to various causes.  I know it shouldn't be like that...IOW, just because we got a great dog, shouldn't be reason to support them more.  It's not really that as much as Rudy helped us to realize what a great cause the humane society is.  Most of our charity contributions go to support the humane society now and other animal preservation efforts. 

stevetoney

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2008, 11:14:04 AM »
From the balcony of my upstairs apartment here in Slovenia.  First shot is looking northbound.

Second shot take from my balcony, looking southeast.  The mountains in the distance are about 10 miles off and where the mountains disappear to the left is near the Croatian border...this is actually where the Serbs met the Slovenes for the 10 Days War immediately following Slovenia's elections to declare their independence in 1992.  It was a minor conflict actually in which not many people were killed.  After a 10 day stand-off the Slovenes flanked the Serbs, at which point the Serbs left unwilling to fight at that point.  This all happened before the heavy violence in the 93 through 95 time frame which happened in Croatia and Bosnia (think Blackhawk Down).

The last shot is taken from the street in front on my apartment...typical Slovenian scene in a small village where the church is the most prominent building in the village.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:16:36 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
Great pictures, that town looks like something from 200 years ago.
mics & cameras

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »
Looking to trade or sell my 35/2 and 17-40/4L for a 24-70/2.8. Any interest?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Zenith023

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »
I love that last one, Tony!

Definitely! Great composition and DoF.

I'm new to TS (Hello all! :)), so I thought I'd chip in with my gear:

Canon400D body w/battery grip
Sigma 17-70mm/f2.8 lens
Sigma 70-300mm/f4.5 lens
Canon 50mm f1.4 lens

My main photographic passion is long exposure night photography, especially in London (where I live) or any city. I love the element of unpredictablity with it! Here's a few of my favourites:

stevetoney

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »
Welcome to ts.com Zenith.  Great shots, all.  But I give the composition award hands down to number 3.  I love the converging lines...and the thematic concept within the photo of convergence of virtual with reality....or maybe the concept of what was converging with what is.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »
took some pics last night...man it felt GOOD to get outta the house!

i would really like some feedback on the pp for this shot (posted here and the linked thread)

Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2009, 03:27:47 PM »
im no one to advise on much being such a newb and all, but would noiseware help with the above shot?
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »
 i took these monday right after it quit snowing monday. 

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2009, 03:44:25 PM »
im no one to advise on much being such a newb and all, but would noiseware help with the above shot?

:o

i actually added that noise!!   :laugh:  i was going for an OLD photo look from a dark bar.  kinda like a prohibition era type shot.  maybe more sepia tone would have helped?  maybe i just couldn't pull off the look i was going for.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »

:o

i actually added that noise!!   :laugh:  i was going for an OLD photo look from a dark bar.  kinda like a prohibition era type shot.  maybe more sepia tone would have helped?  maybe i just couldn't pull off the look i was going for.
no, i am just jaded toward noise being the owner of a noisy camera at high iso.  ignore me. 

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

stevetoney

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2009, 05:22:18 PM »
took some pics last night...man it felt GOOD to get outta the house!

i would really like some feedback on the pp for this shot (posted here and the linked thread)

First off, I'm a sucker for black and white.  Second, this photo is dripping with attitude.  Third, I'm hearing bluesy type of funk coming from out of that photo.

As far as the image goes, I like how the contrast puts a totally black background against the fretboard and his fretting hand.  Then there's THE EXPRESSION!  That expression is simply what draws you into the picture and EASILY is the highlight of this image.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:24:46 PM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com