Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So an audio noob bought a mixpre-d and a mic...  (Read 4536 times)

Offline lewisfilms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Stephen Lewis
So an audio noob bought a mixpre-d and a mic...
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:51:41 AM »
Hi,
I am an audio noobie.  I'm also a documentary filmmaker who wants to capture outstanding sound for my short films.  I bought a sound devices mixpre-d and a Countryman B3 wired xlr lavalier microphone.  I also have Sennheiser HD280 headphones for monitoring.  When I connect the lav mic into the mixpre and listen to the sound, I seem get low levels with the pot at 12 O clock.  If i increase gain too much I hear noise.  What am I doing wrong?  I have phantom power on, gain at about 12 or 1 o clock, the lav mic is clipped to my shirt about 1 inch below my neck and the signal is low/a bit noisy.  help??

Thank you!

Offline lewisfilms

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Stephen Lewis
Re: So an audio noob bought a mixpre-d and a mic...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
Can anyone help?

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
I never used a Sound Device or Countryman but curious and may be others would need to know more about the setup such as:  Which phantom power switched on the Mixpre, 12V or 48V?  Looks like the Countryman B3 specs say they 3 to 12V microphones (if looking at the right specs).  Does the Sound Device levels (LED lights) look good and peaking around -4 to 0 dB with source present?  May be not that much of a noobie.  May be trying to gain the mic too much and gaining the internal noise of the mic?
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline lewisfilms

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Stephen Lewis
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
Hi Jimmie,
I just tried comparing 48v and 12v phantom power.  It works on both modes but when using 12v there is less noise/hiss.  So maybe that was my problem (before I had only tried 48v).  The mic seems marginally less sensitive with 12v though. 

The levels on the MixPre D peak at around 0dbu to +4dbu when I speak slightly louder than I normally would. 

My understanding was that I wanted levels resting around +8dbu because I have my gain structure set that 0dbu on the mixer would be calibrated to -20dbfs on my camera/audio recorder.  So +8dbu would be around -12dbfs.   Correct? 

But it sounds like you're informing me that I shouldn't need to be reaching +8dbu on the mixer's meters?  Where should normal human voice be registering on the mixer's meters? 0dbu? higher? lower?

Thanks for your time and help with this!  I appreciate it!

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
I would worry about overpowering a 12V mic using 48V on the preamp.  However, I never used Countryman mics. 

I'll leave those questions for the more knowledgeable people on here and that do more voice and natural recording.  I have seen several members answer these types of questions.  I only record music concerts and sometimes mass homilies.  I set my preamp to peak just under -10dB (so it don't clip) and set the recorder levels to not clip (usually around 6).
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 03:46:05 AM »
I think the million dollar question is this how are you connecting the countryman mic to the preamp? is there a countryman xlr connector on the end?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »
Jimmy and Chris
The b&h store says the b3 runs 9-48v and the op says xlr
Lewis
Sorry I can't help any but jimmy and Chris prob can
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
Opps, I was reading the specs to the wireless one.
OH Grown

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
Jimmy and Chris
The b&h store says the b3 runs 9-48v and the op says xlr
Lewis
Sorry I can't help any but jimmy and Chris prob can
if its terminated fullsize xlr that says countryman on it than its 48v if its not and just terminated to a mini xlr or anything else it's 9v plug in power. this mic does not switch from 9v to 48v by it self it needs a converter.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com