Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deep cleaning vinyl  (Read 9725 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: Deep cleaning vinyl
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 12:44:29 AM »

Not Elmers, but wood glue seems to be the consensus over on audiokarma. Titebond II seems to be the favorite.

Audiokarmedians, they are, not to be taken seriously.

Just say no to vinyl, but for heaven's sake, if you must, do NOT put glue on it, ever.
Vinyl has additives and is a relatively stable chemical soup until the addition of heat or solvents (like those in glues).
Unless it's something you enjoy, and then who cares what someone on the internet says.

Of course that, but if asking on the Internet for opinions, heavens knows, we'll get them.
If someone enjoys putting glue on records, who am I to judge?       

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Packgrog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »
Sorry to necro this thread, but PLEASE don't use wood glue. I have done it (Titebond II), and it does work, but it also has the risk of leaving small chunks in the run-out groove that are difficult to remove. There are better, less risky mask cleaning methods, but they're all messy, annoying, take a long time, and only remove click-causing contaminants (ie: doesn't help much with mold release compounds).

A vacuum-based solution is the best bang for the buck, and an excellent investment. If you have the DIY itch, the homebrew examples here are excellent. If you're not that daring, look into either the KAB EV-1 ($169 + vacuum) or Record Doctor ($200 vacuum included) if finances are really tight, or something nicer and easier to use like a Nitty Gritty, VPI HW16.5, Okki Nokki, Consonance Opera, or any other similar device for between $400 and $650. Higher prices generally just mean more time-saving convenience features. Wet clean and vacuum is first and foremost, though. Even if you get really crazy and homebrew an Ultrasonic cleaner (like I did, it does improve things), you'll still need the vacuum cleaning.

So please do not use wood glue. There are so many better options out there.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »
I have one of those VPI vacuum cleaners. I only use it for used records that are very dirty. Honestly unless you buy a lot of dirty records I'm not sure it's essential.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Packgrog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 04:09:46 PM »
I have one of those VPI vacuum cleaners. I only use it for used records that are very dirty. Honestly unless you buy a lot of dirty records I'm not sure it's essential.
Even mint records benefit from cleaning. I've been startled by the level of improvement that I've experienced after cleaning flawless-looking records. You can get rid of pops, skips, zipper noises, or simply hazy presentation on records that look completely clean to the naked eye.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 05:44:18 PM »

Not Elmers, but wood glue seems to be the consensus over on audiokarma. Titebond II seems to be the favorite.

Audiokarmedians, they are, not to be taken seriously.

Just say no to vinyl, but for heaven's sake, if you must, do NOT put glue on it, ever.
Vinyl has additives and is a relatively stable chemical soup until the addition of heat or solvents (like those in glues).

Just FYI, there are no solvents (other than water) in Elmers.  It's just PVA (poly-vinyl-acetate) diluted with water.   "Elmers type" PVA wood glues have the addition of some yellowish, vaguely wood-like coloring added, and perhaps some other additives, perhaps not.  Not sure exactly what else may be in PVA wood glues, but there isn't anything which would be considered a "plastic melting aromatic solvent" in there.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »
I'm well acquainted with the gent that brought the wood glue cleaning method to light, likely nearing a decade ago now. We've exchanged tons of PM and emails over the years, as we were both restoring the same mid-50's broadcast decks, which are fairly uncommon decks. I'll trust Marios word about its working quality.
Do I use it myself? No. But then again, I've got a custom made two platter record cleaning machine, and it works flawlessly, and has never left me feeling like I need to go the wood glue route. If necessary, I would try it, without hesitation, based on Marios recommendation, but have never gotten to the point.

mfrench

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
Solvents,....
I frequently use Naphtha in cleaning vinyl, if there are nasty'isms, and on nasty 78rpm shellac, without any ill effects; and have done so for years.  I clean the record multiple times afterward with a detergent cleaning mix *with isopropyl alcohol added for vinyl, and **without isopropyl alcohol for shellac.
Naphtha is great for removing thrift store stickers from album jackets too.  In fact, I had to use it on a couple of 78 shellacs last week that I bought at a thrift store, where they applied stickers directly to the grooves.

Offline Packgrog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »
Seriously, if you're going to go the peel route (and I might try it again with a stubborn copy of Yes - Fragile that hasn't responded well to enzymatic/vacuum/ultrasonic), either get Record ReVirginizer or Winyl Record Cleaner (basically the same stuff, which can be homebrewed if you have the inclination). It's more effective and less risky than wood glue, it doesn't generate a massive static charge when peeled off, and any stubborn bits are easily removed later since it's water soluble. Please don't use wood glue. It's just not worth it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
PVA wood glue is water soluble. Water is the 'solvent' in the glue which evaporates and leaves behind the plasticy solidified PVA.  Soak it in water again and it softens, then eventually returns to it's dissolved state.  It may not be optimally suited to cleaning vinyl records, but it is water soluble, which is the only solvent it contains.  I've no horse in this race, just clarifying a few things misstated here as facts. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com