Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfering old DAT tapes to computer  (Read 2839 times)

Offline __Neo__

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Transfering old DAT tapes to computer
« on: August 02, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »

I have some old 48 kHz / 16 bit DAT tapes I would like to read into my computer to make CDs from.  I will be using a Sony DTC-690 DAT deck with optical and coax S/PDIF outputs.  I have an old desktop with PCI slots and a modern laptop with USB 2 ports.  I would like to find something cheap to get these tapes into my computer as wav files and then work with them in Adobe Audition or CoolEdit Pro.  Ultimately they will be downsampled to 44.1 kHz for burning onto CD.  Is there some cheap gizmo I can find on Amazon or Ebay for getting these files from my DAT deck into my PC?  I imagine this is a fairly common question but I couldn't find anything on it during a quick scan of this forum.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Transfering old DAT tapes to computer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »
My preferred option is a recorder with an optical input (in my case my R-44).  I run them out of the Sony component deck straight into the recorder onto a 32GB card.  Fill the card (which at native resolution, the only way they copy when making a direct digital link, is roughly 30 tapes), then copy those to the computer.  I don't trust the interfaces/gizmos and what they are likely to do to the quality. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:35:24 PM »
Neo, bombdigitty's answer is "best" given today's technology. If I had a working DAT deck I would be going straight into my PMD 661.
Before recorders got so capable, I did purchase two interface boxes:
Internal = ESI Juli@ 24/96- http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/
External (old, but new models should exist) = Echo Gina - modern version: http://proaudiotoys.com/echo-gina-3g-pci-audio-recording-interface-p-237.html
Although I read on the Echo site they are no longer designing sound cards: http://echoaudio.com/
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »
See if twatts will do it for you, it's his taping hobby now that he doesn't have mics etc.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 04:38:16 PM »

I have some old 48 kHz / 16 bit DAT tapes I would like to read into my computer to make CDs from.  I will be using a Sony DTC-690 DAT deck with optical and coax S/PDIF outputs.  I have an old desktop with PCI slots and a modern laptop with USB 2 ports.  I would like to find something cheap to get these tapes into my computer as wav files and then work with them in Adobe Audition or CoolEdit Pro.  Ultimately they will be downsampled to 44.1 kHz for burning onto CD.  Is there some cheap gizmo I can find on Amazon or Ebay for getting these files from my DAT deck into my PC?  I imagine this is a fairly common question but I couldn't find anything on it during a quick scan of this forum.

How may DATs do you have???  I'm falling behind on my PH Project(s), but I might be able to help...

Send me an email:  twatts1000@gmail.com

If you have a list, that would be great...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com