Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA female microdot sources?  (Read 7363 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: DPA female microdot sources?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »
Typically Plug In Power from a small recorder is only about 2.5 to 3V and insufficient to power these mics correctly.  It may work, it may not.  If it does they may have reduced sensitivity, reduced maximum SPL handling, increased self noise or a combination of those things, or they work the same as always.  The 4063 is basically a 4061 (same sensitivity and other specs) designed to work with a 3V supply common from some wireless transmitters.  It should a better choice for direct powering from a PIP recorder but I'm not sure if that actually works or not.  Most use a 9V battery box or preamp to power the mics ahead of the recorder.

There are microdot to 3.5mm miniplug mono adapters from DPA, but since they are mono those don't help us much.  Some tapers choose to chop off the dots and terminate directly to a 3.5mm stereo miniplug or miniature XLR.  Several vendors who are members here at TS will make microdot to stereo 3.5mm mini-plug adapter 'Y' cables on request, which preserves the dots.  I used to solder up my own using the cut off microdot tails from DPA miniatures, but the tiny conductor in the dpa cable of the miniatures is so tiny its some what of a tricky solder job, same with chopping off the dots and re-terminating.

Soldering up your own stereo adapter 'Y' using the cables I listed above is easier and preserves the dots.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com