Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rip CD's directly to FLAC?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Rip CD's directly to FLAC?
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »
SSIA. Anyone recommend a free or cheap piece of software that will rip CD's directly to FLAC? Thank in advance for any suggestions.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Rip CD's directly to FLAC?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:21 AM »
I still use the old gold-standard, EAC- Exact Audio Copy, set to output FLACs and save a txt report confirming the bit-perfect copy (or not).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:28:11 AM »
Wow. Been so long since I've used EAC I didn't know it outputted to FLAC. That's even better.

Installed a new car stereo in GF's car yesterday. Thing plays FLAC's and every other file structure known to man, but doesn't have a CD player:) Should be able to put an assload of CD's on a 32g thumb drive.......
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
Second vote on EAC. Here is a good guide on setting it up to get the best rips.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_guide_to_EAC

It will take a little longer to rip each disc after you set it up correctly but you'll get accurate rips so you won't have to do any over.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
I used to use EAC a lot back in the day, but really only to rip to wav files and reburn to CD. Hope it runs on Win 10

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
I've used Windows Media player to do this to go straight to mp3. It won't output to flac.
If interested, the path in WMP is: have disc in drive| open program | select burn |  in Tools->Options-> rip music| Format -> select mp3.   need to set output folder of course.

I still use EAC if I wish to go straight to flac like the others above.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
EAC good at importing album and track names and such? Will be killer if this happens automatically

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »
I still use the old gold-standard, EAC- Exact Audio Copy, set to output FLACs and save a txt report confirming the bit-perfect copy (or not).
+1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
EAC good at importing album and track names and such? Will be killer if this happens automatically

Before you rip, you can use EAC to query freedb and capture metadata like artist, album, track names, etc.  Of course, this only works if the disc you're ripping exists in the freedb database.  But IME it works for all but the most obscure artists / albums.  Initiating the query isn't automatic -- it takes a single keystroke (alt-G) -- but if the disc is found in freedb, the population of all the metadata is automatic.

If you're ripping live recordings, this probably won't work.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 02:31:06 PM »
Thanks. Most of these are regular commercial disks. Will be interesting to see how the JVC plays with the data. I also took a look at dBpoweramp. That looks interesting for a bulk job like I'm looking at. Anyone have any experence?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
I've used dbpoweramp, too.  And foobar2000.  They're both great.  That said, I think it's most efficient to capture the metadata while ripping, rather than a separate process after the fact.  But I have to admit I've never ripped from EAC directly to FLAC, so I can't say with certainty the FLAC files will include the metadata.  I'd be surprised if they didn't, but...I haven't confirmed.  Definitely worth a short test before you get rolling in earnest.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »
If you run into a disc that isn't in the freedb database, please take the time to label it all correctly manually and then submit it to the database. At the most this will take you an extra minute and then the next person won't have that issue.

As Brian said, it's mainly going to be obscure CD's. I mostly found issues ripping local bands CD's, but then all you have to do is label them yourself in EAC.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 10:32:38 AM »
I've used dbpoweramp, too.  And foobar2000.  They're both great.  That said, I think it's most efficient to capture the metadata while ripping, rather than a separate process after the fact.  But I have to admit I've never ripped from EAC directly to FLAC, so I can't say with certainty the FLAC files will include the metadata.  I'd be surprised if they didn't, but...I haven't confirmed.  Definitely worth a short test before you get rolling in earnest.

There's a great tutorial for ripping CDs to FLAC (incl. metadata) on http://www.audiohq.de/viewtopic.php?id=47.
Unfortunately, it's only available in German - but the screenshots are self-explanatory.

FWIW: EAC can also use CDTEXT information (i.e. if your CD drive supports CDTEXT) to embed the corresponding metadata respectively to name the resulting FLAC files.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com