Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony V6 headphones  (Read 3552 times)

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony V6 headphones
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:02:33 AM »
I've had a pair of Sony MDR-V6 cans for 7 or 8 years and today the left ear went out while I was plugged into my Mac Pro. Earlier I was monitoring (with 1/4 inch adapter) with my Zoom F8 for a couple of hours with no issues.

Does anyone have a guess as to what might cause one ear to go out? Any fixes (keep in mind I'm not handy with a soldering gun) :-\

Thanks

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony V6 headphones
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
My first guess is one of the wires to that side has broken.  You could check the wires  for continuity with a meter if you can get access to them.  I don't know if the earcups are plastic welded or can be opened to gain access to the end of the wire to test between the earphone and the plug tip.  Sometimes the wire goes bad near the plug tip itself from flexing.  You could always try cutting back the wires and soldering a new plug on to see if it clears it up if you don't have a meter or can't get access to the wires in the earcup.

If you need new headphones, some guys at GS appear to be liking a set of $79 idk headphones. 

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
Thanks... It's funny but the only thing I've done differently with this set is I had a long session yesterday with the F8 in the Porta Brace bag which fits a little too snugly IMO. The "arm" of the opening was pushing a bit on the plug. Not sure this could have broken a wire but sort of weird timing... Are those IDK headphones good for dialogue, too? I'm a filmmaker, so that's my primary use...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
I don't own the idk headphones, but took note of the compliments given them as I was looking into idk mics in this thread:  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1030466-isk-pro-audio-low-end-heaven.html 

If your cable is just broken near the plug, the least expensive option is to cut it off and solder a new plug onto the good wire.  $5.00 for the plug.  Maybe $7.00 for a cheap soldering iron. 

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »
I don't own the idk headphones, but took note of the compliments given them as I was looking into idk mics in this thread:  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1030466-isk-pro-audio-low-end-heaven.html 

If your cable is just broken near the plug, the least expensive option is to cut it off and solder a new plug onto the good wire.  $5.00 for the plug.  Maybe $7.00 for a cheap soldering iron.
Thanks. Those phones look real nice for $79. Not too handy with a soldering gun so I probably will just buy a new pair...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:19:44 PM »
Either the plug end, or the skinny wire?!

I found a new  set of V6's on eb4y recently for around $40. I think they were made around 2013-2014, based on the package design. I love 'em.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline scorsesefan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 10:59:06 PM »
Either the plug end, or the skinny wire?!

I found a new  set of V6's on eb4y recently for around $40. I think they were made around 2013-2014, based on the package design. I love 'em.

I just picked up a pair of Sony 7506 from CL for $60. To me they sound the same as the V6 but for some reason my ears fit better in the cups so they're a bit more comfortable...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »
7506 is the same cup design as the v6 but has more bass, typically for DJ's... But audio is voodoo. So go do what you do... so well...

Great TMI discussion here. Oh yeah, 7506 has gold plugs.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/539506/sony-mdr-v6-vs-mdr-7506-there-is-a-difference-in-sound-pictures-too

I just picked up a pair of Sony 7506 from CL for $60. To me they sound the same as the V6 but for some reason my ears fit better in the cups so they're a bit more comfortable...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com