Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108644 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2018, 12:26:10 AM »
The cable for the external battery came loose and the internal AAs ran out - shuts down with file in progress not saved. They are working on a firmware fix. We shall see.

WHAT?? so if you don't stop recording before batteries run out, you lose the files? that's insane.

you have to worry about running out of juice, and besides that, stop recording before empty or you may lose you recordings??? jesus...

Not *ALL* your files, just the one you're currently doing.

Doesn't seem like an unusual flaw in an ultra low budget recorder.

DR70D has the same flaw:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181015.msg2244080#msg2244080
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:48:34 AM by IronFilm »

Offline malow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2018, 01:41:13 AM »
Doesn't seem like an unusual flaw in an ultra low budget recorder.

DR70D has the same flaw:

yeap, feels like a absurd thing. the device already monitors the voltage of the batteries, already have a setting to set battery type (important to detect empty battery) and what it does with that information? nothing. pretty ridiculous.

the 70D at least can swap between battery <> usb with no problem while working (assume this marantz can do the same). but again, this is no excuse.

this makes my 70D battery mod more a "need" than a "extra". but of course, they use AA to make cheap and "you can buy batteries anywhere", but with a horrible caveat (low recording time).

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2018, 07:15:46 AM »
I've been playing with one of these for a couple weeks now.   
- love the size and layout
- menu is "eh"
- sound of the mic preamps is south of "eh".   They sound dull and mushy to me...and I'm only recording my own bands (stage lip...which usually pulls great recordings).  Like they
   have no dynamic range to speak of.   No "sparkle" at all.   DEF. will be getting an Oade upgrade.   Then it will be a dream.

last time out...., after recording a set of music I stopped it.   Then I fired it up again for another set....red light on, recording...., but there were no files, and I never lost power or even turned it off.  Not sure
what happened there.   Probably need to spend some more time with the manual.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
- menu is "eh"
- sound of the mic preamps is south of "eh".   They sound dull and mushy to me...and I'm only recording my own bands (stage lip...which usually pulls great recordings).  Like they
   have no dynamic range to speak of.   No "sparkle" at all.   DEF. will be getting an Oade upgrade.   Then it will be a dream.

last time out...., after recording a set of music I stopped it.   Then I fired it up again for another set....red light on, recording...., but there were no files, and I never lost power or even turned it off.  Not sure

I'd like to hear your impressions of the recorder after you get the Oade mod.    Thanks!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2018, 01:51:13 PM »
....red light on, recording...., but there were no files, and I never lost power or even turned it off.  Not sure what happened there.   

Initially when I lost my NYE headliner set I had myself convinced that I had it on REC pause or something since it was after midnight NYE and I was drinking and having fun. But my girlfriend verified that I had checked the elapsed recording time and mentioned to her it was at 1hr20min when my video camera battery died.

I have to admit that the preamps aren't the best I've heard but for most of what I do they are adequate - and I have two good quality outboard preamps to run if I feel the need. The two bands that I did get recordings for NYE I was pleasantly surprised at how good the MK41>PFA source turned out. I did a stagelip recording of a bluegrass band a couple weeks ago straight in the deck and it turned out great. It was too crowded in a small brewery to get back far enough to get the PA on a stick so I angled over the monitor to get vocals and mandolin.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2018, 02:17:48 PM »
- menu is "eh"

I'd like to hear your impressions of the recorder after you get the Oade mod.    Thanks!

Doug's website says, "Coming soon!" on the upgrades page for the 706, so apparently he is still working on some.  I am also curious to hear how they compare to stock...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »

Doug's website says, "Coming soon!" on the upgrades page for the 706, so apparently he is still working on some.  I am also curious to hear how they compare to stock...

^ :coolguy:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
my initial impression is that most of us would not like the preamps, and find them not adequate at all.   Yes, they are in terms of supplying power, handling the signal and not distorting...
but anyone with a decent set of headphones, and coming off from another deck that does sound good...wont be impressed.   Doug mentioned the dynamic range of the stock chips was somewhere in the mid 80db
range.   His upgrade chip is about 40db more.
his upgrades are subjective... "its a warm mod"...is warm to his ears.   However, having run many previous Oade mod'd decks....he's been consistent in producing a MUCH better product
than stock.  So i'm IN.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
Any battery tests yet? Wondering how long Lithium AA’s will run this set on 2 channel 48 volt.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:48:49 PM by ts »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »
not yet.  I've been running outboard USB power

Offline ts

« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
not yet.  I've been running outboard USB power

What external are you using? I guess any decent 5 Volt will work.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:48:18 PM by ts »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »
Any battery tests yet? Wondering how long Lithium AA’s will run this set on 2 channel 48 volt.

I've been keeping Lithium AAs in as a backup but running an external USB to power it.

The one time that my external came loose and it switched to the AAs I ran the deck for a total of 6 hours - 2 channels P48 + 2 channels line in and the camera output - the AAs died but I don't know at what point the USB cable jiggled loose.

The deck doesn't seem too power hungry - I ran 4 channels + line out and camera out for 3 hours and it didn't even use half of a 6000mAh USB battery.

Make sure you have a USB connection that fits well. The supplied cable was flaky from the get go.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ts

« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »

I've been keeping Lithium AAs in as a backup but running an external USB to power it.

The one time that my external came loose and it switched to the AAs I ran the deck for a total of 6 hours - 2 channels P48 + 2 channels line in and the camera output - the AAs died but I don't know at what point the USB cable jiggled loose.

The deck doesn't seem too power hungry - I ran 4 channels + line out and camera out for 3 hours and it didn't even use half of a 6000mAh USB battery.

Make sure you have a USB connection that fits well. The supplied cable was flaky from the get go.

My lithium test failed. I guess you have be around when the batteries are getting ready to die. I knew that.  :facepalm: I had freshly formatted 32 GB card and no file in the folder, however the card shows a little over 2 gigs being used at 24/48. Phantom on with two mics.

Just looking for 3-4 hours out of a fresh set of either Lithium or Eneloops. I’ll use an external for anything over that.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »

My lithium test failed. I guess you have be around when the batteries are getting ready to die. I knew that.  :facepalm: I had freshly formatted 32 GB card and no file in the folder, however the card shows a little over 2 gigs being used at 24/48. Phantom on with two mics.

Just looking for 3-4 hours out of a fresh set of either Lithium or Eneloops. I’ll use an external for anything over that.

OR....Just use external battery and internal batteries, no worries, no failures, no errors.

Offline ts

« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
So I’m getting around 4 1/2 hours on Eneloop Pro. I checked at 5 hours and it was shutdown. Been using the same 32 GB card for all these tests and there is 15 Gigs of something on the card. Don’t know what. Nothing there to open. One thing I don’t like is the more shit on the card the longer it takes to get the deck past the home screen or whatever it’s called. It must be going thru a card check or something. After a fresh format it fires up in seconds. With 15 Gigs on a 32 gig card it took about 4 minutes to open up. They definitely need a firmware update.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:04:54 PM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com