Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions on Naiant Mic's, looking for options for my Bowls & gongs  (Read 3146 times)

Offline SacredMetal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Frank DiCristina Energy Healing and more
Well I tried searching Naiant & looking at their site & other news add reviews. Looks like some really like them some not so much.

I'm thinking of Bartlett PZM's or at least they are in the running to record my singing bowls, but I like the idea of something small that could possible be converted from a PZM style & plate mount to a arm mounted unit suspended over the bowls.

What do you all think. Also I could own quite a few mics for the price of 2-3 Bartlett's. But I want quality too.

photo below is to give you an idea of what i am talking about. I am looking to capture the junctions of several bowls from the top but not get in the way of my playing so 3-4 mikes on metal arms (welding rods) should work.

PZM's would work if I lay bowls out by height with tallest in back row (away from me)

Other suggestions would be appreciated. My largest bowl goes down to 67 Hz (on left), my lowest gong goes down to 18Hz (Yes, it gets stupid LOW>>>  ;D ) (not shown) BTW, gong on right goes down to 28 Hz  :wink2:
Zoom X/Y, Zoom M/S, Rode NT-1's, Rode NTK, Cascade Fathead
Zoom H6
Mogami Silver cables
5V USB 10,400mAh Backup battery
(it may not be the greatest but its a good start...)

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Opinions on Naiant Mic's, looking for options for my Bowls & gongs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:00:05 AM »

You should email Jon at Naiant and see what his opinion is using his mics in that situation. He does sell boundary mounts for the X-X and X-R series.

Offline SacredMetal

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
Yep thought about that, but wanted to hear others chime in also.
Zoom H6
Mogami Silver cables

Offline Limit35

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »

I've never used the X-X in this type of environment or as boundary mics, but I think their sound is nice across the spectrum.  I like their low end, it is natural sounding and not dark, the highs are crisp and not over whelming, I find I don't have to EQ them much compared to my other AT mics.  I've used them from 60cm to 4m wide in live music and environmental recordings and think they are good mics. Well worth many times their value. They are also cheap enough to test one out, and if you don't like it I believe you can send it back.

Offline SacredMetal

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

I've never used the X-X in this type of environment or as boundary mics, but I think their sound is nice across the spectrum.  I like their low end, it is natural sounding and not dark, the highs are crisp and not over whelming, I find I don't have to EQ them much compared to my other AT mics.  I've used them from 60cm to 4m wide in live music and environmental recordings and think they are good mics. Well worth many times their value. They are also cheap enough to test one out, and if you don't like it I believe you can send it back.

Good to know, thanks!
Zoom H6
Mogami Silver cables

Offline Limit35

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 12:32:41 AM »
I don't know if it would help your needs, but I just posted some samples on another thread  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=179409.msg2204333#msg2204333

Offline rocksuitcase

• Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
singing bowl guy- I looked up those Bartlett PZM's. Not a bad looking mic for the price. You'd still have to decide best locations to place them etc, but it might be a way to isolate audience/outside noise by having them placed close to the floor either in front of and pointed toward the bowls or in the middle of the bowls.
I don't own naiant's but Jon has a great design and build philosophy. In effect, he offers customization of most of his mics with the different output/input connector options and cable length options. And as Limit35 points out He does sell boundary mounts for his X-X and X-R series. 
I've been thinking about obtaining one of his X-S mics to do figure 8 with.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline SacredMetal

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 10:25:35 AM »
 I have several "conversations" wit Bruce Bartlett about the best approach. He is extremely knowledgeable and gave me many scenarios on how to approach what I do.My only concern is being stuck with a design application that may or may not be useful down the road in other instrument setups. But he again gave valid reasons as to use not only his mikes but the boundary technique. I can always mount them on a plexiglass panel if I need to  get them in other positions, but that make not work depending where I am at or who I am with (sharing stage with).

I listened to the samples posted, the Reggae one sounded best IMO. MoonAlice was not bad either.

I like the versatility of the Naiant system. Plus I could always build on it. It would also be nice to have (4) matched mikes if that is possible.
Zoom H6
Mogami Silver cables

Offline Limit35

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 12:42:23 AM »
I like the versatility of the Naiant system. Plus I could always build on it. It would also be nice to have (4) matched mikes if that is possible.

I think time is the only factor on getting 4 matched mics from Naiant, it is up to two weeks for matched pairs.

Offline SacredMetal

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
contacting Jon, asking his opinion.
Zoom H6
Mogami Silver cables

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com