Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps KC5 complete cable replacement? And possible replacement of other parts  (Read 9154 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
I have a set of extra kc5's that were chopped by the previous owner to have mini xlrs a few feet from the body ends to use with a naiant tinybox setup.

Id like to do away with them amd completely recable them

Are there many options other than the genuine schoeps bulk cable they use oem, and any advantage to any of them over the others.

I think nick uses different cable than schoeps for his active builds, if my memory serves me right, it is thinner? Any other advantages? The price of the raw cable itself isnt really a huge dealbreaker to me unless its real drastic and unnecessary.

Has anyone ever ordered the parts to replace the outer shell cover type things of the kc5 collette ends, and had them replaced or done it themselves? My set to recable has terrible looking outer covers on the ends from a previous owner at some point in their life. Its an ocd thing for me, and how they will be installed will be a semi permanent type of deal of sorts, at least for me.

I see basically every individual part is easy to order and available, and since they will be partially disassembled to recable, i thought the timing was right to replace the visually unappealing outer covers while its happening and they are apart

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
The cable nick uses is thinner and not as stiff as the stock Schoeps cable. One advantage is that the thinner cable slides in and out of active bars with zero effort.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Parts can be purchased from Posthorn--maybe Redding also:

http://www.posthorn.com/S_parts.html

Nick's cables coil easier than Schoeps too.  Owning them ( Schoeps ) you know how to twist to coil. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
Yes, they do coil easier too...

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Nick's nbox cables are 2 conductor and not 3 conductor like the Schoeps and this is why that particular cable is much thinner then the stock Schoeps (also the Schoeps cable has a thicker Scheathing then the stuff Nick uses) - I don't know what he used on the "KCY" binder cables

I am curious as well if other 3 or 4 conductor cable is avail that is thinner then the Schoeps - I thought GAC-4 mini was but looking at the specs it doesn't appear it is.

Quad star (4 conductor) is more common then 3 conductor so that may be the way
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
I did find this Belden Star Quad (1804A) which is black and much thinner then the Schoeps  <3mm versus Schoeps 4mm

https://www.markertek.com/product/bl-1804a-500/belden-1804a-four-conductor-star-quad-low-impedance-cable-500-foot
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
I did find this Belden Star Quad (1804A) which is black and much thinner then the Schoeps  <3mm versus Schoeps 4mm

https://www.markertek.com/product/bl-1804a-500/belden-1804a-four-conductor-star-quad-low-impedance-cable-500-foot

If memory serves I think Nicky said he could use the Belden cable to re-wire my KC5's. I've just been too lazy and cheap to jump on it...

The thinner cable I was referencing in my previous post was the cable Nicky used for my N-box cables...

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Thanks for all the replies!

I personally do not care for the cable nick uses.

Ive owned two sets of nbob kc5 style setups and then had one modified to a kcy style setup with a binder up top instead of a junction box

I preferred the kcy style with the binder up top amd didnt mind the kcy extension cable nick made with a little thicker cable

But i didnt care for the tendancy to almost kink and not coil neatly all the time with the nbob kc5 style cables

Ive all but decided to just buy new  and sell my 2 used sets.

This tubes rig is gonna be my setup indefinantly, and my ocd is too strong for scratched up collette ends and cable i dont totally love. Its worth any added expense to me.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN

H20,

The Belden Star Quad (1804A) is what Milab uses for their Milab VM 44-Link actives.  This cable is nice when techflexed with the right techflex!!  Otherwise you have the same problems with the Belden cable kinking as you do with the stock Schoeps cable!!  Check your PM's.

thank you,

David
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline efiocco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello there,
what would be THE PERFECT techflex diameter for 2 x belden 1804A (2 x 3mm)?
thanks!
 :yack:
Enrico

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
Hello there,
what would be THE PERFECT techflex diameter for 2 x belden 1804A (2 x 3mm)?
thanks!
 :yack:
Enrico

Enrico,

This is the techflex that worked very well for my Milab VM-44 Link pair.  2 x Belden 1804A.  Local cable maker Darktrain (Robb) techflexed these cables for me and did an excellent job of it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UHJCFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com