Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie recording setup  (Read 6380 times)

Offline dbz345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie recording setup
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
I am new to the taping scene and have a question what would be the best recorder for stealth recordings and still sound good with a mic like the AT831 on sound professionals.com or church audio mics. Sources will be loud rock. I have looked at the tascam dr 40 and I had a dr 100 mk 2 Paid for on eBay but the guy messaged me to say it would not turn on. So much for a good deal. I just want a good beginner setup. Just good quality stereo sound better than my iPhone6s mono mic.
 Also If anyone is selling some used recorders I would be interested.

jcable77

Re: Newbie recording setup
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 03:24:12 AM »
There is a relatively inexpensive set up(under $300) I've been using for stealthier stuff that I think sounds great and would be a good starter for you or anyone in my opinion. A gentleman who's on here makes Naiant audio gear and I think for the price is the best most realiable and versatile gear around. I've been using the Naiant's x-r system which entails switchable mics/capsules (I've been using the cardioids) that plug via RCA's into a small (x-y) amplifier powered by an a23 battery. Out of that it terminates to a mini 1/8th inch cable( and/or xlr stereo) which I've run into a tascam dr-05. You can also bypass the small x-y amp and run the mics directly from RCA to mini plug and the plug in power will provide the power the mics need. As far as inexpensive rigs go, for the money I'm surprised how good it sounds. And if you purchase the xlr stereo output out of the x-r amp it works well into the tascam dr-40 as well. I've tried both and have been pleasantly surprised. The best part is when you want to invest in different mics/ capsules there's all the options( Omni's, hypers, nearfields, etc.) For $70 a pair I believe it is. Just my 2 cents. It's worth looking into.
http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/microphone-accessories/x-r-microphone-system-output-cables/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:36:50 AM by jcable77 »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
Church Audio is quality gear but you should know that it can take a bit for the product to be shipped.  I say this because I recently got back into taping and started with CA mics based on reading many recommendations on here, but it wasn't until after I ordered that I learned that sometimes the gear can take a while to be shipped.  Lots of people recommend it without pointing this out.  There is a thread about these issues, but it's in a different forum than where one might look to research mics.

I've been happy with the Roland R-05 for a small recorder.  I haven't used any other small recorders, though, so I'm not going to try to say it's the best.  Certainly it's at least an option to consider, though.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »
It would be pretty tough to go wrong these days on recorders. Anything that can record in PCM WAV that has an 1/8 inch input will be fine with either of those setups. The DR-40 might be a bit on the bulky side for stealth though

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
Forget Church Audio, take the AT853 from the yardsale here. I used AT831 too for years, great beginners setup but go for 853 if you have the cash. get a preamp or batterybox and one of the two channels mentioned here.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
Just an FYI, the DR-40 does not have an 1/8" input
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
CA14's are great options if you can get some used or in a timely manner. I ran CA14 > 9100 > tascam dr07 for years and made a lot of nice tapes. YMMV on how stealthable those mics are.

The AT853 suggestion is good, and though I haven't heard any tapes with the Naiant mics, people seem to like them.

Anyway, focus on the mic's and battery box more than the recorder. As long as you can get something that goes line in, it should be fine.

And try the yard sale before anywhere else. People are knowledgeable about the gear, and generally take good care of it around here.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
I ran a CA-14 vs AT853 cardioid comparison at a couple of shows last year, and the results were indistinguishable. I think there are still sound samples on a thread here somewhere.

And yeah, people here can argue all day about our favorite mics or recorders, but with few exceptions, most of the entry-level mics, paired with any kind of battery box/preamp to drive them and a recorder that does 24 bit, will do nicely for starter purposes. Check out the yard sale here for what's up for grabs and you should do well.

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
I ran a CA-14 vs AT853 cardioid comparison at a couple of shows last year, and the results were indistinguishable. I think there are still sound samples on a thread here somewhere.

And yeah, people here can argue all day about our favorite mics or recorders, but with few exceptions, most of the entry-level mics, paired with any kind of battery box/preamp to drive them and a recorder that does 24 bit, will do nicely for starter purposes. Check out the yard sale here for what's up for grabs and you should do well.

I agree to this point, as a newbie don't waste your time on a CA or AT discussion, but CA can take some time unless you buy second hand. Just get the stuff and concerttickets, there is a learningcurve in this you have to take. reading about it is not enough. good luck.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
Agree 100% with Popmarter.   Understanding that the spending money on mics and preamp/battery box is a good investment.  My suggestion is to go small on the recorder i.e.  Tascam DR-2D, Sony M-10 or Roland R-05.  In stealth situations where sneaking gear in the smaller recorders make live a lot easier.  There is a learning curve in regards to this hobby but the benefits outweigh the costs when you can listen to a nice recording on your way home.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
Also, you can always sell the gear and upgrade. Doing that over and over isn't necessarily the most cost effective way - but at the beginning you'll learn a lot and can make decisions that suit what you want to do.

Offline dbz345

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
The tascam dr-2d and Roland and Sony are discontinued any new units similar daspy don't wanna pay a ton for a used one

Offline dbz345

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
See some of you guys have the dr 05 thinking I may go in on it

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:24 PM »

QFT.  Since you're new to the hobby, the Tascam DR-05 is a perfectly good deck for your needs.  I've listened to plenty of solid recordings done with them. 
That said and if you're diligent about looking online, the Roland R-05 can still be found in the $200-300 range (the original MSRP); a quick look on eBay turned up a few "used/new in box" ones. 

Offline shenny

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 09:08:26 AM »
I'm new at the game, picked up the DR-05, AT831 cards from Sound Pros (I also have CA-11's and Audio Reality binaurals), and a battery box.  I'm loving the set up; low initial cost, easy to use, you can throw it all in camera case and seemingly get into most venues.  I've walked in through arena scanners, hand wands, pat downs, etc.; venues large, small, and in between, all without issue.  Carry your entire rig in one hand, throw it in the basket at the door, pick it up on the other side of the checkpoint.   

I mainly started for my own enjoyment, to have "living" souvenirs of my experiences, although I've posted shows online as well.  A whopping 6 shows into my hobby career, but I'm digging it.  This website has a wealth of info, way more than I will ever use, and people who are certainly willing to share their considerable experiences and expertise.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com