Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-60MKII - which recording input gain range for a live gig recording?  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Barney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello,

I've just purchased a Tascam DR-60MKII. I'm planning to use it to record a live gig in a couple of weeks, using a Rode NT4 on a stand, 60/40 feet from PA, near the board. I have done DAT and multitracks for 10+ years, havent done this for a long time... But I have a question for Tascam DR-60MKII users.

What input range do you use to record live gig?
Let's say rock music with calm and loud parts, indoor amplified music, in venue of about 500-1000 people with a modern PA system.

There are 4 input range on the Tascam:
  • LOW
  • MID
  • HIGH
  • HIGH PLUS
Why am i asking?
Due to schedule issues, I wont be able to assist to the soundcheck. There is no opening act. So, as soon as I am in the venue all I have for reference is the crowd noise, then the show will start.

I know about the dual ST mode, that could save my recording in case of overloads, but I'd rather use that in case my main recording has small parts of overload not constantly overloading.
I also want to avoid moving the gain knobs during the performance as there are audible level steps when you do so.
Recent tests showed that LOW with knob at max is higher than MID with knobs at min. It looks those input ranges overlap.

I'd be interested to know from people who have experienced the Tascam DR-60MKII in live (loud) music recording.
Thanks.

info: I usually target the -18dbFS area with peaks at -12dbFS. This will be recorded at 96Khz/24bit.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11

Use the LOW gain range for amplified music in a venue with a big PA.

Don't know how sensitive the Rode NT4 is but if you get levels lower than you expect you can boost the levels in post.

I run my DR60 on low almost all the time. I regularly have to add 15dB later to normalize and don't suffer any ill effects. Gear nowadays is so quiet that you don't have to worry as much about amplifying hiss or input noise so you can run with much more conservative levels.

The gain ranges overlap - low on max is higher than mid on minimum.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse

Use the LOW gain range for amplified music in a venue with a big PA.

Don't know how sensitive the Rode NT4 is but if you get levels lower than you expect you can boost the levels in post.

I run my DR60 on low almost all the time. I regularly have to add 15dB later to normalize and don't suffer any ill effects. Gear nowadays is so quiet that you don't have to worry as much about amplifying hiss or input noise so you can run with much more conservative levels.

The gain ranges overlap - low on max is higher than mid on minimum.
I'd echo your comments exactly. I run on low, and I find on my DR60d that I tend to be more conservative than I need to, and that is perhaps because the meters are a bit different from other Tascam decks I run. The bottom line though is that I have had no additional noise added when I added gain of usually 6db up to 15dB in post, and if the show is really loud I have had no distortion or compressed feeling in my sound at all.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Barney

• Taperssection Newbie
Hi guys! Thanks for the info!

When you say you set your Tascam on LOW, do you adjust the levels with both L/R (1/2) gain knobs? Or do you just set them both at max?
Also, where are your peaks at?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11

When you say you set your Tascam on LOW, do you adjust the levels with both L/R (1/2) gain knobs? Or do you just set them both at max?

I try to avoid running any gain stage at max on the knobs. Not sure why maybe superstition or a hold over from the old days when max gain meant added hiss or noise. I use low gain and usually have the knobs somewhere around 3 o'clock (75%) for a loud show. Generally peaking around -12 to -6 dB. Different every time though.

You may have to run on MED and use the lower range of that gain setting depending on your mic and the music. From what I've been able to assess the lower 25% of the MED setting is about the same as the upper 75% of LOW.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
I use medium most often on my 60d "1"
It doesn't have four options, just three so the amounts of gain that can be added is slightly different for each range compared to the version you have.
I also pref to run hotter, I try and target -12 overall. If you are targeting -18 I would go with low

Not that you want to but if you had to, you can change the settings while recording if you really had to
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:10:37 AM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Benderman11

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular

Use the low setting then adjust gain knobs to achieve around -12db.  You'll notice a small triangle on the meter at that target level.
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Neumann ak40, ak43, or ak50 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km100
Pres: Sound Devices 442, Sound Devices MP-2, Grace Lunatec V3
Recorders: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-60Dmkii, Zoom F4, SD788t

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Please forgive me if I'm out of line in bringing this up, but one of the best things you can do for yourself with the 60d is to put fresh AAs in it as backup, but power it with a decent size  external cell phone battery.  Maybe an anker or Ravpower around 10,000 mAH.  This is going to give you plenty of recording time and important to you if you have to start your 60d running some time before the show or it's a long show. 

I don't have a Rode NT4 but suspect it's similar to Rode NT5s which have respectable output.  You'll probably want to be conservative with your gain setting--especially not knowing how loud the music is going to be and once it's clipped, there's really no coming back from clipping. 

Offline Barney

• Taperssection Newbie
I will use a 20.000mAh powerbank. During my test, it provided 15 hours of power on the unit. 3 hours of recording, and the 12 hours of stand-by rec.
I'll see about putting some AA's in it, just in case the usb cable get out...

Thanks all for sharing your experience on this device.
I know I have to options: MID with both knobs set to min, and a safer one : LOW with knobs at 12 to 2 o'clock.

I just hope an unannounced opening act will play, so I can set my levels.
 ;)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
Even when noises from click stops come into play after the first song you can adjust levels before the next song if you find you're way off (assuming it's not a continuous or long song program). 

A click/pop fix function in editing can also smooth out those issues during music if it is an emergency (too high).  I doubt you'll be set too high though. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Barney

• Taperssection Newbie
On a different subject, I know we can track files while recording.
As I plan to record 96Khz/24bit, I'm limited to 1 hour of recording... Instead of cutting in the middle of a song I plan to track inbetween.
Have you noticed a step/click/gap between files when doing so?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
On a different subject, I know we can track files while recording.
As I plan to record 96Khz/24bit, I'm limited to 1 hour of recording... Instead of cutting in the middle of a song I plan to track inbetween.
Have you noticed a step/click/gap between files when doing so?
File splits are seamless.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Barney

• Taperssection Newbie
File splits are seamless.

Good news, thanks!  ;)

Offline Barney

• Taperssection Newbie
OK, some news here.

I've recorded the show. Fortunately, there were finally an opening act (unannounced). And it saved the day, obviously. I was able to set my recording levels. Well, sort of...
  • I've discovered the Tascam DR60DMKII dont display input levels below -45dbFS. I wish it could. I also wish I could see levels dbFS for each channels, not just for the max one.
  • The Tascam DR60DMKII left and right input gain knobs are very difficult to play with to make the equal gain on both channels.

Other than that, I got a nice recording. Very occasionaly peaking at -14dbFS, mostly around -18dbFS. Didnt touch the input or knobs during recording. Just hit record and let it go through.

My input gain knobs were set at 33% of their course (10 o'clock), and inputs range were set to LOW. I've noticed the SPL meter at the soundboard displaying up to 100db. Curiously the SPL meter disappeared at some point...

2 hours of recording. My PowerBank was still 80/90% charged once the recording was stopped. Amazing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com