Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How much quality difference does the recorder make?  (Read 8449 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: How much quality difference does the recorder make?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of the Olympus LS-14? That's also an option.

Not many here use the Olympus recorders, but there are a few. Haven't heard much about them in a few years.  Do a search.  Records fine and compact if I recall correctly.
My buddy who is a boom operator in Hollywood uses an Olympus LS-100 for his stealth deck. The internals create decent sounding recordings. Another friend has an Oympus LS10 and makes good recordings with the internals. I would buy Olympus if stealthing was my deal. It has a mini-jack input. It (LS-100) is larger (and more expensive new) than an M10 though.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »
I do recall discussion about one or two models of the Olympus recorders having a built-in high-pass type response on the mic input (not a user switchable filter).  Can't remember which, and could be now obsolete models.  Something to check though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »
The Sony M10 is a perfect pairing with the CA-14's & the CA9200.  Do yourself a favor and find one.  They're out there and are worth a few more bucks than most of the smaller recorders.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 12:03:08 AM »
The Sony M10 is a perfect pairing with the CA-14's & the CA9200.  Do yourself a favor and find one.  They're out there and are worth a few more bucks than most of the smaller recorders.
seconded
music IS love

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice! I particularly appreciated the PM from KISSFAN offering to help me out!

In the end, I decided I would be foolish to ignore the advice of so many knowledgeable people, and bought a brand new Sony M10 on EBay. It cost me a fair bit more than it would have a couple of years ago, but not as much as some of the units I had been considering. I figured it was worth the price.

Thanks

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice! I particularly appreciated the PM from KISSFAN offering to help me out!

In the end, I decided I would be foolish to ignore the advice of so many knowledgeable people, and bought a brand new Sony M10 on EBay. It cost me a fair bit more than it would have a couple of years ago, but not as much as some of the units I had been considering. I figured it was worth the price.

Thanks
Although our experience so far is only one show, kindms M10 seems to be a great addition to our arsenal. I am certain you will be pleased with this purchase.
Make some great recordings!      :guitarist:
music IS love

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
The M10 is a great recorder. You will love it.
This is the only recorder I have been using since 2010 and it is great for stealth taping because of its size and the fact that it doesn't have 2 large mice protruding from the unit.
Just buy a pair of rechargeable batteries and you are set.

I just wanted to highlight that most of the brand new M10 units on ebay come from Japan.
The text next to the buttons will be in Japanese, which is not a big deal, but I think that the menus will only be in Japanese as well.
I don't think you will be able to change the language to English/French/Spanish like in the US version (some more languages in the EUR version).
It is still manageable but will just require a bit more effort to know what the menu functions are.
Please see the post below from a few years ago:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=130924.msg1735495#msg1735495

Sony may have changed the firmware in the later Japanese M10's so it may have the language option in the one you bought.
If you bought a US/EUR version one, or you know Japanese, please disregard everything I wrote in the second part of the post  :)
Enjoy your new recorder!

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
This is the only recorder I have been using since 2010 and it is great for stealth taping because of its size and the fact that it doesn't have 2 large mice protruding from the unit.
Just buy a pair of rechargeable batteries and you are set.

I just wanted to highlight that most of the brand new M10 units on ebay come from Japan.
The text next to the buttons will be in Japanese, which is not a big deal, but I think that the menus will only be in Japanese as well.
I don't think you will be able to change the language to English/French/Spanish like in the US version (some more languages in the EUR version).
It is still manageable but will just require a bit more effort to know what the menu functions are.
Please see the post below from a few years ago:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=130924.msg1735495#msg1735495

Sony may have changed the firmware in the later Japanese M10's so it may have the language option in the one you bought.
If you bought a US/EUR version one, or you know Japanese, please disregard everything I wrote in the second part of the post  :)
Enjoy your new recorder!

Thanks for the warning. I had already read that post, and duly avoided the Japanese language units :-)

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »
Roland r-05 works best for me.

Of course they are deleted now.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 08:55:12 PM »
I posted a video on youtube almost 7 years ago, of how to check your firmware version on the PCM-M10. Mine is 1.00 and I have not ever heard of any other version.

If anyone gets the Japanese version, there's a Language setting buried in the menu of my USA black model:

press the Menu key to enter menu mode
press 7 clicks on the Fast-Reverse button to Detail Menu
press the Play Button to choose it
press 3 clicks on the Fast-Reverse button to Language menu
use FF/FR to select language from the menu
press PLAY to choose it
press 2 clicks of the Menu key to exit all menus

Mine only lists English, Spanish, French, but when it's in those languages, the word (Language) in the menu is listed along with Idioma and Langue for clarity.
Idioma (Language) - Español
Langue (Language) - Français

Do you have Firmware Version 1.00? Hold the STOP key to find out.
To find out the firmware version of your Sony PCM-M10 solid state audio recorder, power the machine up, then press and hold the STOP button. After about 5 seconds,, the screen will display the current firmware version. My PCM-M10/BLC is a black color model, from USA. It reports Firmware Version 1.00. If yours differs, please post here.

https://youtu.be/58y_wbGgq3g

(SNIP)

Enjoy your new recorder!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:57:34 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline OS_Taper

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Neumann or bust!
    • Shows on the LMA
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of the Olympus LS-14? That's also an option.

Not many here use the Olympus recorders, but there are a few. Haven't heard much about them in a few years.  Do a search.  Records fine and compact if I recall correctly.
My buddy who is a boom operator in Hollywood uses an Olympus LS-100 for his stealth deck. The internals create decent sounding recordings. Another friend has an Oympus LS10 and makes good recordings with the internals. I would buy Olympus if stealthing was my deal. It has a mini-jack input. It (LS-100) is larger (and more expensive new) than an M10 though.

I have used the LS-10 and when it was released, moved to the LS-11.  Very stealth, great battery life, and awesome results.  I would highly recommend this as an option if you can track one down.
Neumann
KMR 82i
KM150
TLM 107
Core-Sound
TetraMic (2)
Danish Pro Audio
DPA 4060

Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H8,  Tascam 100-MKII, Olympus LS-11

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »
What acidjack said. The difference in recorders at this stage of the game is mostly in features, not audio quality, and you don't need a ton of features with that mic/battery box combo. (Which is an excellent small rig, btw.)

You can still sometimes find M10s around for close to their original retail price — keep an eye on the Yard Sale here.

^^^ This. A good clean M10 will provide years of quality recording. At rugged as you will find in this class, small, easy to use, insane battery life.

The Sony finally on Tuesday, and I'm delighted with it! Thanks guys!

One thing I can confirm is the comments about the battery life! 35 hours activity on a 2300 mA pair and counting. Puts all it's rivals to shame; you have to wonder why no other unit comes close to that!

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 11:06:28 PM »
Glad to hear you like it. It is a great recorder.

The battery life is indeed amazing. I did a battery test using Sanyo 2700 rechargeable (the old kind, not the LSD ones) batteries in 2010 and the M10 dies after over 44 hours!
I used MP3 format so I won't run out of space. You can see that old thread here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=138990.msg1801415#msg1801415

Enjoy your new recorder!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com