Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MBHO repair  (Read 14501 times)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: MBHO repair
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »
That would be great if FC became distributors for MBHO. 
It would probably be good for MBHO too actually, widening their exposure to the US market.

While the ~6 month turn around time is definitely shitty, it does seem like they are honestly honoring all warranty claims.  That says a lot about the company...

Not all of the mic companies offer a lifetime warranty, and you guys were able to send them in without original receipts or anything, right?
If so, that's also a huge plus, seeing as how equipment often gets passed around here.

If I had to send some in, and knew that I should expect to be without them for 6 months but that I'd be getting a free repair, I would be A-OK with that.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »

If I had to send some in, and knew that I should expect to be without them for 6 months but that I'd be getting a free repair, I would be A-OK with that.

Agreed upon that. If I ever sent mine in, just to be cleaned and checked out, I would be SOL :P I would also expect a loaner pair of whatever you just sent in :) Just seems fair to me ;)

Scooter, what exactly was wrong w/ your cards that you needed to send them to Germany ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »
intermittent crackle/fizz in one cap.  It was in the high freq range. 

I wasn't really opposed to the wait time (it took a couple of months to get my MG's fixed so I was ready for a wait), it was the lack of communication and lazy attitude that got to me.

And as I stated earlier, major kudos indeed to MBHO for honoring their lifetime warranty (and yes, no receipts or anything)!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:13:48 AM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
intermittent crackle/fizz in one cap.  It was in the high freq range. 

I wasn't really opposed to the wait time (it took a couple of months to get my MG's fixed so I was ready for a wait), it was the lack of communication and lazy attitude that got to me.

And as I stated earlier, major kudos indeed to MBHO for honoring their lifetime warranty (and yes, no receipts or anything)!

Yeah it definitely seems like the Marcus guy should get on the customer service side of things a little bit better.  I have a feeling that this is just one of his "jobs", as it is with many folks in the audio biz. 

A loaner pair certainly would be nice, but also would be very generous.  Do you think any other mic company would do this?  Doubtful.  (most other mic companies would have a much faster turn around time though)

I just bought a set of neumann 140's that we sent into Sennheiser before sending them to me.  I think it took a total of two weeks door-to-door from the seller > senn > me.
I didn't get that special German touch though   ;)

My MBHO's are up FS in the yard, although I really like them and don't really want to sell them.  Out of all the mics I've tried, I think they are the best sounding in the price range. 
If I were flush with cash, I would just stick them in the mic locker.

I wonder if all the problems that people have with them are a related problem?  I also bought a set of 603a's with cards, but after testing them out I found a noise with one of the bodies.  When gain was turned up, there was a tick-tick-tick-tick, although it still worked just like it sounds like scooter's caps do.

The 603 / KA200 / KA300's I've been using and that are in the yard are crystal clear though. 

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 04:06:08 PM »
got my caps back today.  The serial numbers have changed, so I don't know if they gave me all new electronics and reused the housings or what.  Gonna test them tonight...
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »
got my caps back today.  The serial numbers have changed, so I don't know if they gave me all new electronics and reused the housings or what.  Gonna test them tonight...

SCHWEET ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »
The 603 / KA200 / KA300's I've been using and that are in the yard are crystal clear though. 

Yes they are!  :coolguy:

Good to see you got your caps back, finally!
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »
sorry for the bump...

i am about to send my mbho's in for warranty work (one of the ta4f on the cap side was missing a clip).

I tried to just have them send me the part, but mbho wants the mic back.  i guess i will send in both mics and caps and they can give it a bench test.

my question is this... when you all sent your stuff to marcus, was that the only shipping charge you had incurred (your town > nyc) or did you have to pay shipping to germany as well?

thanks for the quick reply.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »
For me it was just shipping to Marcus in NY. I sent via FedEx so I could track and make sure it is signed for. I wasn't taking any risks. From there he'll send them in to get fixed in Germany.

I don't want to sound discouraging but.....Good Luck. This is the reason I don't have MBHO's anymore and would never again. Great mics but not so much for the service.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 11:40:32 PM »
yep... aware of the sssslllllloooooooooowwwwww service... i am actually working with dan at dale pro audio... we are both of the belief since a dealer is initiating this they might be a bit more on top of things -- especially since there is already a rapport with the dealer and the manufacturer.

thanks for the quick reply... i have plenty of other mics to play with while i wait (which hopefully will be less then 2 months).
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »
just shipping to NYC for me as well.  Just keep emailing Marcus every so often to keep the ball rolling.
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »
quick question, has anyone experienced levels being slightly off between the two mics?  i always have to turn the gain up higher on one channel...seems that sometimes it switches but that might just be my memory failing me...in any case, it seems like it has been "off" for a good while and i'm wondering if any parts might need servicing.  i could probably do without the mics for an extended period since co crüe would have me covered in a pinch, but may just wait until after phish or after my wedding to do it since i'll be starting school again and won't be getting out as often :P not like i've been taping very much lately anyways.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
^^^^That's exactly what was happening with one of my caps when I sent them in. Is it just the one set of caps or do all your caps do the same thing? I tried different combinations before finally just sending them in.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
^^^^That's exactly what was happening with one of my caps when I sent them in. Is it just the one set of caps or do all your caps do the same thing? I tried different combinations before finally just sending them in.
So it was a caps issue not the mic bodies correct?

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
my caps to get fixed
So a caps not bodies issue. Wondering if its outdoor humidity - seen posts on other mics having the same issue. Thank god for the lifetime warranty others have spent a pretty penny for repairs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:51:57 PM by MBHOTAPER »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com