Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices Mix Pre 10T or 788T ?  (Read 8350 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Sound Devices Mix Pre 10T or 788T ?
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:58:02 AM »
Given the choice between a Mix Pre 10T or a 788T, which one would you choose, and why?  (Assuming price is not a factor)
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sound Devices Mix Pre 10T or 788T ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:12:44 PM »
10T for the fact that it has 8 pres and it's cheaper.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
10T for the fact that it has 8 pres and it's cheaper.

The 788 also has 8 pres.  4 of them are mini XLR.

788 has more features, such as simultaneous recording to multiple media, linking multiple recorders to allow for scaling of 16+ tracks, and AES inputs.

If you don't need any of those things, then the 10T is obviously more attractive at the much lower price.  If you're willing to buy used, some 788s have been going for not much more than a new 10T lately.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:50:40 PM »
eh, you know what i mean regarding the pre's (full xlr).

that said you're right.  we can't have it all (either way).  features are different.

but i think that for our purposes, the 10T is the better buy right now (so long that the firmware doesn't bring more problems, but i'm confident in Sound Devices quickly working them out if so...)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:08:56 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 01:02:41 AM »
788 all day long.  The pre's are at least as good as the mixpre series and the 7xx series is an industry standard.  788 has internal hard drive and features out the ying yang that the mix-pre series doesn't have.  I have a mixpre-3 and love it, but it's a mixer/recorder, whereas the 7xx are true top of the line best in class field audio recorders with internal time code.  Obviously, if you put price into the equation, the answer probably changes completely, but since you took price out, the answer is a no-brainer to me.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
Well for me, the Mixpre Series are better. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my old SD 722, but the 6xx/7xx series recorders had WAY too many options for someone Recording shows like us! I prefer my Mixpre6 because it's smaller, sounds BETTER than the 7xx, and is MUCH cheaper. And it has options that I'll actually use, instead of a menu a mile long with so many different options that it's hard to find what you're looking for! That's not the case with the Mixpre IMO! I can quickly AND easily find the options that I want, and don't have to look through the menu for 5 minutes before I find what I'm looking for LoL ;)

If you need timecode and all of the million settings the sd788 has, then that's the better deck for you IMO! However, if you're just a Taper like me, then the 788 is way too much recorder for me and my needs, and I'd rather have a smaller and better sounding deck like the Mixpre6.

I love my Mixpre6 After the last 7 months I've had it, and I'll DEFINITELY be buying a Mixpre3 or another Mixpre6 before summer festie season gets here!

So you need to figure out what exactly your needs are, and go from there IMO ????????
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
Well for me, the Mixpre Series are better. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my old SD 722, but the 6xx/7xx series recorders had WAY too many options for someone Recording shows like us! I prefer my Mixpre6 because it's smaller, sounds BETTER than the 7xx, and is MUCH cheaper. And it has options that I'll actually use, instead of a menu a mile long with so many different options that it's hard to find what you're looking for! That's not the case with the Mixpre IMO! I can quickly AND easily find the options that I want, and don't have to look through the menu for 5 minutes before I find what I'm looking for LoL ;)

If you need timecode and all of the million settings the sd788 has, then that's the better deck for you IMO! However, if you're just a Taper like me, then the 788 is way too much recorder for me and my needs, and I'd rather have a smaller and better sounding deck like the Mixpre6.

I love my Mixpre6 After the last 7 months I've had it, and I'll DEFINITELY be buying a Mixpre3 or another Mixpre6 before summer festie season gets here!

So you need to figure out what exactly your needs are, and go from there IMO ????????

I agree with Bean across the board. While many of us do the same type of recording, not all of us do and almost none of us do it exactly the same way. So what is best for one is not necessarily best for all. For me, it is the MixPre over the 7xx series without a doubt. I think the MixPre is more modern and is so easy to navigate. It's preamps are state of the art, and sound great, but I expect not everyone will agree. Additionally for me, it is impossible to take cost out of the equation, because cost is always a factor.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »

The 7XX series is impressive in terms of features and durability, but also has outdated technology (like firewire). While the Mixpre's are not perfect (I find some design choices odd) I would still go for a Mixpre-10T unless you need some of the features that that a 788 would have, like linking multiple decks, digital in...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
Has anyone done a shoot out yet?  MixPre-X vs 7XX   

Just looking hear the sound between the two of them.  Please PM me if you don't want to respond here.  Thanks.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »
Has anyone done a shoot out yet?  MixPre-X vs 7XX   

Just looking hear the sound between the two of them.  Please PM me if you don't want to respond here.  Thanks.

^
I'd love to hear this comp too.  All of the speculation about one series sounding better than the other is just that, speculation...

The OP wanted a recommendation with the caveat "that price is not a factor".  As dallman said, the price is almost always a factor to the majority of us.  But if price was not a factor I would roll with the 788T-SSD every day of the week... 

(Reasons for choosing the 788 already mentioned:  788 has more features, such as simultaneous recording to multiple media, linking multiple recorders to allow for scaling of 16+ tracks, and AES inputs - The pre's are at least as good as the mixpre series and the 788T is an industry standard - the 788 is recognized as one of the best in class field audio recorders in the industry)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:11:01 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »

I'd love to hear this comp too.  All of the speculation about one series sounding better than the other is just that, speculation...

Agreed.  I've owned every recorder imaginable and listened closely to ones I haven't.  At this point, sound and battery life are the only things I care about.  The rest is gravy........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com