Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann tlm 107  (Read 348 times)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • taperssection member
Neumann tlm 107
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
I have an opportunity to buy a pair at a good price. These would be used mostly for close micing of acoustic instruments, piano,etc. Any opinions?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Neumann tlm 107
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:34:12 PM »
No opinion (I don't use this mike or know anyone who does), but a question: What attracts you to this specific model? Its frequency response seems to be tailored for studio use, i.e. as a microphone with a specific "coloring" to it--and in most of its pattern settings, its directional response varies across the frequency range more than a small, single-diaphragm microphone of comparable quality. So that isn't the set of characteristics that one would normally choose for stereo pair recording from a distance in a reverberant environment.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:24 PM »
I doubt you could go wrong with a large diaphragm Neumann

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • taperssection member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 05:02:17 AM »
No opinion (I don't use this mike or know anyone who does), but a question: What attracts you to this specific model? Its frequency response seems to be tailored for studio use, i.e. as a microphone with a specific "coloring" to it--and in most of its pattern settings, its directional response varies across the frequency range more than a small, single-diaphragm microphone of comparable quality. So that isn't the set of characteristics that one would normally choose for stereo pair recording from a distance in a reverberant environment.
D Satz- I have nothing but immense respect for your knowledge and wisdom. As stated though, this would be for close micing of mostly acoustic instruments in multi-track recordings. Many of my recordings and most of my releases are location multi-track using a combination of small and large diaphragm mics. i was wondering if anyone had an opinion of this mic for this intended purpose. I heard it on the cello in this live recorded piece and thought it sounded quite good. http://instantencore.com/work/work.aspx?work=5080512
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:11:03 AM by mepaca »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 10:02:01 AM »
Ah. Sorry--despite what is plainly said in your message, nonetheless I somehow assumed that this was meant for the more usual application that people have on this board. That was completely due to inattention on my part.

music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com