Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK A51 Upgrade Article  (Read 6213 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
ADK A51 Upgrade Article
« on: April 22, 2003, 05:46:50 PM »
In the May 2003 Home Recording magazine there is an article about how to upgrade an ADK A51 into a tube mic.  You can buy a complete kit ($500) including the mic or they sell upgrade kits ($300) if you already own the mic.  Here's a link to a tease on the article:

http://www.homerecordingmag.com/feature2.asp

Here's the company's, um, modest website:

http://mojaveaudio.com/index.html

They make a separate power supply out of an old ammo box-- kind of cool.  The article also  says that  the company used to use Marshall's but changed to ADK's, so the mod might work for Marshall's as well.  

Anyone heard of this yet?  The author was very impressed, saying it sounds like a cross between a U-67 and and M-49, but since I've never heard either of those it really doesn't help me a lot.

take care,
Drew F.

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:ADK A51 Upgrade Article
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 08:12:19 PM »
I'd love to run a tubed mic; only problem is how the hell to power it via DC ? ???

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:ADK A51 Upgrade Article
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 09:18:17 PM »
Hmmn.  Intruiguing.  I know NOTHING about 'lectrics, other than the fact my pro audio/ee/audiophile friend babbled for about 30 minutes when I mentioned to him building a battery pack for a tubed Neumann.  I didn't undrstand a word he said, other than, "it would be interesting to try, but no guarantees"  :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com