Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FA-101 questions  (Read 1801 times)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
FA-101 questions
« on: August 06, 2004, 12:27:26 PM »
I know a few people have purchased this thing and are using it for recording now...

[1] what voltage does it take?
[2] what is the current draw with phantom power?
[3] is the level meter worthwhile in any regard?
[4] can you get a optical out with an analog in, or does it need to be modded for this? I only ask this b/c i don't necessarily want to tote the laptop to every show and would run the jb3 in those cases.
[5] what are the advanatges of the fa-101 over the audiophile firewire 410?  Is it worth the 100 extra dollars?
[5]  where is the best price available on these right now?

edit: found 2 answers in Nick's thread.  he comments on the level meter, but doesn't say anything much about it, other than the fact that it is there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 08:44:17 PM by keepongoin' »
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Phil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
Re: FA-101 questions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 06:12:35 PM »
I know a few people have purchased this thing and are using it for recording now...

[1] what voltage does it take?
[2] what is the current draw with phantom power?
[3] is the level meter worthwhile in any regard?
[4] can you get a optical out with an analog in, or does it need to be modded for this? I only ask this b/c i don't necessarily want to tote the laptop to every show and would run the jb3 in those cases.
[5] what are the advanatges of the fa-101 over the audiophile firewire 410?  Is it worth the 100 extra dollars?
[5]  where is the best price available on these right now?

edit: found 2 answers in Nick's thread.  he comments on the level meter, but doesn't say anything much about it, other than the fact that it is there.

3. The level meter is fine for what it is, a 4 bar single.  It did the job fine for me in wavelab, but I wish it had 2 channels.
4. Nope, no optical out unless your running through the firewire bus.  That's the biggest bite of all.  I don't think doug has any plans to digi-mod the the FA-101.
5. The advantages of the FA-101 over the FW 410 is that you can multi-track up to 8 or 10 tracks.
6. The best prices on these are from academicsuperstore.com $469 shipping included!

AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: FA-101 questions
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 06:31:46 PM »
thanks.  +T

i will probably be getting one in the next couple of months, once I make the needed laptop upgrades.  I am really looking forward to getting this.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com