Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD1k vs. V3 vs. 722  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
AD1k vs. V3 vs. 722
« on: October 01, 2005, 03:50:57 PM »
Anyone listened to the pre/AD in all three of these? I currently have the AD1K and love it. I've been thinking about getting something that would not kill my back with batteries though, and I know eventually the AD1K's crystal will go bye-bye. How does the V3 compare sonically to the AD1K, and then how does the 722 compare to both?

I've searched the archives but haven't found anything except for some audio files posted.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AD1k vs. V3 vs. 722
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 04:25:16 PM »
Heh...I suspect you'll get some different opinions on this one.

I run a V3 at 16-bit (waiting for the MT2496 to sort itself out before I move to 24-bit).  I find the V3 not at all similar to the AD1K sonically.  The V3 is very detailed and natural sounding to my ears, while I find the AD1K less natural, more "hyped" in the lows and highs, but still very pleasing.  The 722 has a more colored / looser / robust low end relative to the V3.  I'm torn about highs since I've heard two different recordings by both V3/722 - on one I preferred the V3 highs, on the other the 722.  Mids seem similar to me - detailed, smooth.  Soundstaging - I've yet to find an ADC that presents as coherent a soundstage as the one I hear from the V3.  Aside from the V3, I like the 722 ADC better than most others out there.

A bunch of different thoughts on an A/B comparison:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=38265.msg492757#msg492757

I don't recall which source was A, and which B.  PM or email Scott Brown and he might still remember.  Better yet - maybe he or someone else will re-post the comp for you (I don't have it anymore).

I don't know of any AD1K v. V3/722 comps, but I know there are a couple 722 v. V3 comparisons out there.  Maybe try a search for 722, V3, and comp and see what comes back.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AD1k vs. V3 vs. 722
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 08:47:48 PM »
maybe it's time for another comp...irving plaza sounded like ass the night we did that comp (well actually, it sounds like ass a lot there...)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com