Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playback upgrades, amp recs..  (Read 1600 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Playback upgrades, amp recs..
« on: November 21, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »
Looking for a new amp now, maybe much more.

Okay.. I have the itch to do some audio upgrades.  I have a pair of Martin Logan CLS speakers that are sitting idle. I want to light'em up in the basement for evaluating soundstage, etc..  While not a full range speaker, the imaging is Amazing..

My current system is in my home office (where I don't really have room for the CLS):

Linn LK1
Linn LK280/Spark
Linn Sara 9 (original)
(sources: LP12, Squeezebox, UA5)

Right now, I just want to get the CLS going so I can play around, eval some recordings and get a feel for what I'm looking for in my next pair of speakers.

Both the CLS and Sara are somewhat hard to drive, dropping down to around 4 ohms at times.  I expect to replace the Saras with another full range at some point but I'm not sure what yet.  For years the CLS ruined me for cone speakers. I picked up the SARAs on ebay at a nice price and have enjoyed the change and their ability to push sound through more of the house.

So it isn't clear yet whether this new amp will go on the Saras or on the CLS. I'm sure I'll try it with both.  So it needs to be somewhat versatile.  My office system is powered 24x7, so tubes are out.

I missed out on an ebay auction last night for another LK280/Spark. The reserve was too high..   So now I'm considering alternatives since those are quite rare and the CLS are waiting..

A McCormack 0.5 deluxe caught my eye on Audiogon.. I haven't heard one, so my interest is based purely on reputation and comments.  Wondering what else I should be considering in the used market.  I may drive the CLS amp directly via Squeezebox (though I have some concerns about not having the protection a pre amp provides compared to a direct setup).

Thanks for the help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com